Troost Village

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Troost Village

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

moderne wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:09 pm That "Village Market" is currently empty lot SE corner, and bridge would be over Linwood Blvd. Thought that lot was slated for MAC?
AFAIK, Mac has never had any plans for Linwood and Troost. You might be thinking of UC-B/Milhaus. UC-B was granted the rights from PIEA for development on the SW corner and Milhaus has now taken that over.

Milhaus has plans for the L-shaped lot in the foreground of this picture (former Isis theater space), and the lot on the right side. They plan on starting work on both of those this year.

chaglang wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:00 am The PIEA holds the SE corner of Troost and Linwood, but that lot is tied to the SW corner. Believe the PIEA would have to break their agreement with that developer to do what is shown here.

I'm a little skeptical of any project involving 911 Linwood... that building seems to be an albatross. If Compass is the same developer as whoever is doing the current renovations... I'm skeptical that this is anything but vaporware. Renovation progress has been slow and the company seems too small to pull this off.
I wasn't aware that the SE and SW corners of Troost and Linwood were tied together. I know that Hoffman wanted both corners, but I believe he was only granted the SW corner.

I would guess that the next big step for this project is to bring it to the PIEA (if they haven't already) to gain the rights for the SE corner.

I do have some skepticism about this being pulled off as shown here - whether it be due to inability of the developer/lack of financing, or failure to get incentives/neighborhood approval - but the involvement of 911 Linwood doesn't concern me. Compass is the same developer that has been working on 911 Linwood. Yes, that work seems to be moving slowly, but I am a little impressed that they are even doing any work to it at this point. I assume they will need a re-zoning and probably some incentives. I haven't seen any signs that they have applied for those yet, so the fact that they are doing any work to this building without that is a positive sign for me.

I don't think 911 Linwood is an albatross. I believe there have only been two proposals for that building. The fist was for senior housing, which didn't make very far due to neighborhood objections. The second proposal for apartment conversion looked like it had a better chance to succeed, but that "developer" was very green and I don't think he knew what he was getting into.

I do find the plan of building a parking garage for 911 Linwood a bit odd. That lot is fairly large and there is also another smaller lot to the west of the building. It seems like overkill - unless there is another component to the garage (or perhaps the later option to build on top of it). Another possibility could be some sort of agreement with Milhaus to use the garage for their adjacent project, potentially allowing it to be larger/denser.

I am not happy that the 911 renderings show it being re-painted white. I would love for the natural brick to be restored. The paint is already starting to wear off in a number of places.
alejandro46 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:25 am The 911 Linwood project could be a good candidate for some super micro studios that would meet the KCMO crazy new incentive policy.
While details are scarce, the developer has previously said they will be co-living, affordable apartments (although I'm not sure whether their definition of "affordable" meets the incentive guidelines).
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Older flyover video from November 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nSbIyR ... e=youtu.be

Last edited by normalthings on Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I don't think 911 Linwood is an albatross. I believe there have only been two proposals for that building. The fist was for senior housing, which didn't make very far due to neighborhood objections. The second proposal for apartment conversion looked like it had a better chance to succeed, but that "developer" was very green and I don't think he knew what he was getting into.
I can't imagine why anyone in the neighborhood would object to senior apartments for 911 Linwood.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

FangKC wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:51 pm I can't imagine why anyone in the neighborhood would object to senior apartments for 911 Linwood.
I forget the exact details, but it was to be affordable/low-income senior housing and some in the neighborhood were worried it would basically turn into a Section 8 housing project. This was not long after the conversion of the Bainbridge and all of the problems it was having in the early days, so I think that might have been fresh in peoples' minds.

Here is what the building used to look like. I'm hoping it can be restored to something closer to this, rather than repainting it white:

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:45 pm Older flyover video from November 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nSbIyR ... e=youtu.be
This could be really cool if they do it right.

I also get some baseball-diamond vibes from "The Village Stage". Honestly, it seems like they're taking the concept for the Downtown Ballpark and shrinking it way down into a neighborhood gathering place. Even the stepped apartment building at Troost Village seems like it takes some inspiration from the Downtown Ballpark concept. It all makes sense considering Pendulum is the architect for this and the stadium.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

Troost Village is the kind of investment that is positioned to turn a distressed neighborhood around. It is also the sort of investment that needs incentives and market-rate units to pencil out.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Walker wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:58 pm Troost Village is the kind of investment that is positioned to turn a distressed neighborhood around. It is also the sort of investment that needs incentives and market-rate units to pencil out.
Stop using common sense, the council hates that.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Fun Fact: the southwest garage abuts land owned by Alchemy Ventures of NYC.

Below-ground parking garage. I assume it can support a vertical expansion in the future.

KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

400 Parking spaces around 911 Linwood definitely seems like overkill. I believe the previous proposal for apartment conversion on that building was to be 95 units. If it is converted for co-living or micro-units, I suppose that number could go up, but still nowhere near 400.

I suppose some of the surplus parking could be for the needs of other parts of the "Village", but I will stick by my earlier prediction that this garage is either to be built on top of in a later or phase, or shared with another development, like the adjacent Milhaus property.

The garage does abut Aclhemy Ventures property, but that is apartments, not vacant land. They own nearly all of the rest of the block - a number smaller apartment buildings. I suppose Alchemy could have something else plans, but it seems like they are just holding apartments at this time.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The exposed garage next to 911 will be ugly I think. Hope they put some sort of facade treatment on it if it gets built
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The Market I am hoping comes to fruition. Since Linwood is the Continental Divide between OK and Brush Creek most everyone going marketing on foot will have a slight downhill return trip.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The honky tubes are pretty obnoxious. I wonder why the developer would feel like they have to go to so much expense to keep the apartment residents away from the street level?

Adding a total of 1100 parking stalls within a 5 minute walk of each other seems like massive overkill at the intersection of two major transit corridors. Given that garages are so expensive, it makes me wonder if the developer is counting on the city helping with the funding in building the three (!) shown here.

I'm also deeply curious about the grocery store. Grocery stores show up in so many development proposals, and none ever get built. They seem to function chiefly as a way for the developer to generate public support.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I just don't see how underground parking and honky tubes possibly pencil out at this location.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

If the EW streetcar extension down Linwood had been approved we wouldn't need all these massive parking garages in the project and it probably would already be under construction.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:32 am If the EW streetcar extension down Linwood had been approved we wouldn't need all these massive parking garages in the project and it probably would already be under construction.
Agreed the Linwood/31st extension scored really well on the Next Rail survey and having it stretch to Arrowhead would be fantastic. The Linwood extension should be near the top of the next expansion wish list, (provided there is a regional funding mechanism). The city has put a ton of focus on revitalizing the East Side. There is a lot of vacant and distressed property along this area waiting to be redeveloped beyond just this project. With a streetcar, I feel you could easily halve those garages and replace with 5-6 story apartment buildings and ground floor retail.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It's on the MAX already, which IIRC allows a reduced parking count. I'd be curious to see how the parking counts were arrived at.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

This project probably won't get going for quite some time. Even by their own schedule (and developers are almost always overly optimistic on that), this phase would begin in December with everything going by Q2 2022. I would guess they would start with renovations to the 911 Linwood and the Firestone, with new construction beginning later.

The developers haven't brought this project to the Troost Coalition or any neighborhood groups yet. I would hope that they have at least had conversations with the PIEA, but they haven't had any official hearings yet. I'm sure there will be a lot of back and forth with all of these various groups, plus CPC, City Council, etc... and we will see many revisions to the project. Hopefully, some for the better, but we will probably also see certain aspects scaled down (or removed) and value engineered.
chaglang wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:28 amI'm also deeply curious about the grocery store. Grocery stores show up in so many development proposals, and none ever get built. They seem to function chiefly as a way for the developer to generate public support.
Developers seem to frequently say that they "hope" or "plan" for a grocery/market tenant, but it rarely seems to plan out. I'm not sure how earnest their efforts are to land such tenants. Midtown could really use another grocery store (or two) and I imagine one will get built in the next few years - either here or along the streetcar extension. This could be a good spot, situated between a large number of new residents coming to the Beacon Hill area and Armour and Troost.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

chaglang wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:30 pm It's on the MAX already, which IIRC allows a reduced parking count. I'd be curious to see how the parking counts were arrived at.
"The Village" alone has the capacity for 5,000+ guests. The below-ground parking garage indicates to me that it is a future building site.

The Village Market office building has around 2-3 spaces per 1,000sqft which is below average. It sounds like the Village Market is coming about because tenants approached the developers so I have a good bit of hope that it moves forward.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:33 pm This project probably won't get going for quite some time. Even by their own schedule (and developers are almost always overly optimistic on that), this phase would begin in December with everything going by Q2 2022. I would guess they would start with renovations to the 911 Linwood and the Firestone, with new construction beginning later.

The developers haven't brought this project to the Troost Coalition or any neighborhood groups yet. I would hope that they have at least had conversations with the PIEA, but they haven't had any official hearings yet. I'm sure there will be a lot of back and forth with all of these various groups, plus CPC, City Council, etc... and we will see many revisions to the project. Hopefully, some for the better, but we will probably also see certain aspects scaled down (or removed) and value engineered.
chaglang wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:28 amI'm also deeply curious about the grocery store. Grocery stores show up in so many development proposals, and none ever get built. They seem to function chiefly as a way for the developer to generate public support.
Developers seem to frequently say that they "hope" or "plan" for a grocery/market tenant, but it rarely seems to plan out. I'm not sure how earnest their efforts are to land such tenants. Midtown could really use another grocery store (or two) and I imagine one will get built in the next few years - either here or along the streetcar extension. This could be a good spot, situated between a large number of new residents coming to the Beacon Hill area and Armour and Troost.
There's a small grocery store in the works for the old Baker Shoe building at 3104-3116 Troost