Main St. Buick GMC Site - 3200 Main St.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Main St. Buick GMC Site - 3200 Main St.

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:15 pm My bad. Price Brothers bought the north east corner.
And they're going to tear it all down, right? :shock:
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:08 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:15 pm My bad. Price Brothers bought the north east corner.
And they're going to tear it all down, right? :shock:
Yes
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The MWA Building (currently Charles D Jones Co - a HVAC parts wholesaler) just to the SW of the Buick site at 114 Linwood, has recently gone on the market. Seems like it has good potential for conversion to mixed-use. $750k https://www.colliers.com/en/properties/ ... usa1087492:

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I could see adding windows on the ground floor and having two service spaces per side, like doctors offices.

Nice building.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:42 am Coverage: https://cityscenekc.com/big-development ... ts-market/
Do we know who is buying this?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

langosta wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:46 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:42 am Coverage: https://cityscenekc.com/big-development ... ts-market/
Do we know who is buying this?
Haven't heard anything.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It looks like the Buick GMC site looks like it is still on the market. McGilley Funeral Chapel is exploring a move across the street into the Drexel Hall building. That site, if paired with the car lot, would potentially make a very large site for development.

The Subway across the street still appears to be on the market, as well.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If many of those parcels came up for redevelopment, one could build a lot of density in that area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kevin Collison is reporting that Van Trust has purchased the McGilley Funeral Chapel site which is adjacent to the car dealership parcels.

VanTrust Real Estate Joins Streetcar Land Rush on Main
VanTrust Real Estate, a major developer in the metro and nationwide, has joined the land rush along the planned streetcar extension, buying a two-acre property near Linwood and Main.

The developer recently purchased the McGilley’s Funeral Home property at 21 W. Linwood, and while VanTrust has no immediate plans, a company representative said the property likely will be redeveloped ultimately as residential.
Harrison said his firm would be interested in developing the McGilley’s site as either a stand alone project or in concert with other potential developers.
https://cityscenekc.com/vantrust-real-e ... h-on-main/

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0672979 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FangKC wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:19 am Kevin Collison is reporting that Van Trust has purchased the McGilley Funeral Chapel site which is adjacent to the car dealership parcels.

VanTrust Real Estate Joins Streetcar Land Rush on Main
VanTrust Real Estate, a major developer in the metro and nationwide, has joined the land rush along the planned streetcar extension, buying a two-acre property near Linwood and Main.

The developer recently purchased the McGilley’s Funeral Home property at 21 W. Linwood, and while VanTrust has no immediate plans, a company representative said the property likely will be redeveloped ultimately as residential.
Harrison said his firm would be interested in developing the McGilley’s site as either a stand alone project or in concert with other potential developers.
https://cityscenekc.com/vantrust-real-e ... h-on-main/

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0672979 ... a=!3m1!1e3

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... dtown.html
"Pending approval from the city, VanTrust is proceeding with the demolition of the McGilley Funeral Home," Grant Harrison, senior director of development, said in an email statement Wednesday. "There are currently no set plans for a specific project, but it’s a great infill site located just off the planned streetcar extension. We will continue to monitor development along Main Street, and we look forward to collaborating with the city and surrounding properties once we have a plan to present."
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ If anyone says, “This is a historic building that deserves to be saved!”, you’re dead to me.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:27 pm ^ If anyone says, “This is a historic building that deserves to be saved!”, you’re dead to me.
This is a historic building that deserves to be saved!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:48 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:27 pm ^ If anyone says, “This is a historic building that deserves to be saved!”, you’re dead to me.
This is a historic building that deserves to be saved!
Then you probably need to get your whirligig spinning top up to get some historic footage of it before it comes down! Bring on the progress!!!
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I'm a huge preservationist, but I don't mind this building coming down at all.

I really hope the new construction is something worthy of this high-profile spot on Main and Linwood Blvd. I'd love it they would build with terra cotta and brick. The new building should have retail/restaurant spaces facing both streets.

I can imagine a future Linwood with all the old buildings restored (except for this house) and all the crummy, newer buildings and parking lots replaced with high-quality, urban development. It would be beautiful.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

This site and the car dealership being combined could make for an extra special mixed-use development. Under the Main Corridor Overlay, you can go up to 10-stories across the entirety of both sites. Granted control shouldn't be in one developer's hands, but it would be spectacular to get a larger and dense development here. Build significant density since the Home Depot and Costco are unlikely to go anywhere anytime soon.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

All I know - or think I know - is what I read. According to the KCBJ (5/17), this site would qualify for 15 stories.
VanTrust's site also is located within a "transit node" under the city's Main Corridor Overlay District. That designation permits building heights anywhere from three to 15 stories, in an effort to increase transit ridership through development of dense mixed uses.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Linwood runs along a ridge that is the highest point between DT and Plaza. Anything 10-15 floors would be a prominent landmark with great views.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

Site is in a "Transit Node" overlay which has 15-story max, "Transit Area" has 10 max.

Requires at least 3 stories, 1.0 FAR & 70% building frontage at 0' setback.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:20 pm This site and the car dealership being combined could make for an extra special mixed-use development. Under the Main Corridor Overlay, you can go up to 10-stories across the entirety of both sites. Granted control shouldn't be in one developer's hands, but it would be spectacular to get a larger and dense development here. Build significant density since the Home Depot and Costco are unlikely to go anywhere anytime soon.
The USPS motor service center should also be included in this and the old MWA building on Linwood that was recently sold. I think my biggest concern is that it's so much space that it could be eyed for a suburban-style development with huge amounts of parking. Most likely is an Artistry-style apartment development.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Let this site develop. Car dealership, USPS maintenance yard, etc. can all go later and incrementally. I'll hope it doesn't all get consolidated and turned into a "extra special mixed use development." Rather not have whole blocks be developed in unison with one vision. Hoping for a lot of density out of these site but with some grain and variety.