Katz on Main

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Katz on Main

Post by flyingember »

moderne wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:24 am Across Main St., Major Murray Davis Park has received a grant from AARP for a makeover. Community input will be solicited. Have no idea why AARP would do this. Are there a lot of seniors in the area?
AARP is mainly for age 50+. It's not just seniors on top of that. They'll let anyone sign up but some things are age limited.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If you like junk mail, sign up for AARP.
CorneliusFB
Pad site
Pad site

Post by CorneliusFB »

AARP does small civic engagement grants to improve community livability. This is a small amount, $25k, but props to Midtown KC Now for finding the money. I think they also found the funds for the intersection improvements in front of the Westport library.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AARP is investing a lot in "livable cities". Most the people in my building are over 50, for example!
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

^AARP has some unusual benefits -- one example: they offered it for YEARS (ended with the virus) was $500 off all British Airways Club World fares. For everyone in the itinerary. Included all fare classes in the business cabin (including the deep discount fare, think it is D or I)

Well, during slow season, these tickets can drop to around $2000 US, so you are looking at a significant discount -- and it gets you the OTT lounges at Heathrow plus upgrades on flights on either end (AA cxns and Club Europe over there).

It's also pretty good for rental car discounts. But I agree with the upthread post -- get ready for junk mail.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

One of my friends in New York City works in marketing research for AARP. I begged him to intervene with the junk mail situation. There was nothing he could do. AARP, while it might bestow minor benefits, makes money selling your information to third parties like insurance companies, financial institutions, estate planning, funeral planning, retirement communities, nursing homes, health aides/medical equipment companies, in-home caregiving services, etc. Once they have sold it, they have no power over what lists you might end up on.

The worst part is the preprinted forms with your name and address already filled out in the blanks, on multiple pages, that you have to spend time shredding. For a while, 90 percent of my shredding was junk mail related to signing up for AARP. I didn't renew my membership and it took about four years for the junk mail to calm down. I haven't been a member for 8 years, and I still get junk mail from their "partners."
Philacav
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Philacav »

Love that they, at least in the renderings, plan to revive the old Katz logo. I wonder if they’d have to make a deal to use it with the Katz family, many of whom still live in the KC area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The trademark might be considered abandoned by now, and thus public domain.

The rights to use the former Katz trademark probably passed to Skaggs and then to CVS. If CVS didn't continue filing trademark registration paperwork to protect it, it likely is public domain. The Katz family might have retained the trademark after the sale, but unless they continued to file the trademark registration paperwork on it continually, it would be public domain.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KC TIF Watch fighting this battle again. Trying to push the land owner (church) to kill the deal.

KC TIF Watch claims the neighborhood is "on the verge of gentrification."
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Main St needs "gentrification".

It really is okay to have a nice city. While KCMO jacks around and takes years to figure out that it's chasing off development and redevelopment, all those apartments are just going to end up in Johnson County to fill the demand. And KCMO will miss a ton of new residents and economic activity during that time that it will never get back.

I hope the city council figures it out quickly.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:15 pm KC TIF Watch fighting this battle again. Trying to push the land owner (church) to kill the deal.

It’s about time for Kansas Cities “one step back” philosophy to kick in, I guess.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:33 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:15 pm KC TIF Watch fighting this battle again. Trying to push the land owner (church) to kill the deal.

It’s about time for Kansas Cities “one step back” philosophy to kick in, I guess.
When in doubt stick with what we know I suppose?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Between the Mac Properties thing and now this, I think it's time for high-profile people with common sense to address these people. They need to be told that if no new housing is built, luxury or not, it's only going to make housing costs go up across the board. When demand is high and product availability is low, property owners will raise rents. It makes total sense but unfortunately, members of the City Council and the people on KC TIF Watch, which by the way is being boosted by a guy named Gerry Connolly in St. Louis, don't realize this. When the time comes, and they're pushed out of their apartments due to their actions, they'll learn.

For now, and as I've passed along to developers that I know who want to take a look at KC, I say to push ahead without tax abatements or TIFs if possible. Explore the usage of tax assurance instead or no tax incentive at all. It'll be difficult but needs to be done to help keep housing costs from getting out of control (and if KC TIF Watch or KC Tenants think it's out of control now, they just wait).
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:06 pm Between the Mac Properties thing and now this, I think it's time for high-profile people with common sense to address these people. They need to be told that if no new housing is built, luxury or not, it's only going to make housing costs go up across the board. When demand is high and product availability is low, property owners will raise rents. It makes total sense but unfortunately, members of the City Council and the people on KC TIF Watch, which by the way is being boosted by a guy named Gerry Connolly in St. Louis, don't realize this. When the time comes, and they're pushed out of their apartments due to their actions, they'll learn.

For now, and as I've passed along to developers that I know who want to take a look at KC, I say to push ahead without tax abatements or TIFs if possible. Explore the usage of tax assurance instead or no tax incentive at all. It'll be difficult but needs to be done to help keep housing costs from getting out of control (and if KC TIF Watch or KC Tenants think it's out of control now, they just wait).
If developers move to no incentives, KC Tenants will just move to rent control and putting councilpeople in place who are either weak and scared, like we’re seeing here, or put their own people in office. They’ll push it through. It takes so few votes to win and getting rid of at-large candidates makes it even easier.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:21 pm If developers move to no incentives, KC Tenants will just move to rent control and putting councilpeople in place who are either weak and scared, like we’re seeing here, or put their own people in office. They’ll push it through. It takes so few votes to win and getting rid of at-large candidates makes it even easier.
Don't give them any ideas.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:24 pm Don't give them any ideas.
They’re already talking about it.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:45 pm
Rent control would kill KC, they have more sense than that right?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:52 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:45 pm
Rent control would kill KC, they have more sense than that right?
No, they aren't lol. It is their end goal and the approval in MN has lit a fire under them.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I don’t understand why some of these projects aren’t hell yes’es. With the streetcar there seemed to be some serious development momentum. Why would you put a stop to that?

If the response to every project that will make the area along the route nicer is to vilify it, what national developer would want to invest in that? Pick a market like Nashville or Florida that is hotter and will encourage it.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:06 pm Between the Mac Properties thing and now this, I think it's time for high-profile people with common sense to address these people. They need to be told that if no new housing is built, luxury or not, it's only going to make housing costs go up across the board. When demand is high and product availability is low, property owners will raise rents. It makes total sense but unfortunately, members of the City Council and the people on KC TIF Watch, which by the way is being boosted by a guy named Gerry Connolly in St. Louis, don't realize this. When the time comes, and they're pushed out of their apartments due to their actions, they'll learn.

I get what you’re saying- but there’s no sense in talking to KC tenants

What needs to happen is some high profile people need to talk to the council. They’re the ones with the power, and should be atleast more open minded than KC tenants.

With that being said, I think Mac will find a way to get this to work one way or another.