SPACE FORCE HQ - To Infinity & Beyond!

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

SPACE FORCE HQ - To Infinity & Beyond!

Post by normalthings »

US Space Force has initiated a competition to find its permanent home. The first round of applications occurred this summer with an initial cut having been made recently. No details are available yet on if KC made it but I would be surprised if not.

Stats from St. Louis News.
Project: 460,000 square feet of office space and 400,000 square feet of parking
Jobs: 1,600 with average pay above $100,000.
Requirements: Communities should be within 25 miles of a military base, within the top 150 most populous metropolitan areas and score at least 50 out of 100 on the AARP's Livability Index.

P.S. I wasn't sure which section this was best to be placed under.
ULCajun
Pad site
Pad site

Re: SPACE FORCE HQ - To Infinity & Beyond!

Post by ULCajun »

We have a military base within 25 miles? I thought levenworth was the closest
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

ULCajun wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:48 am We have a military base within 25 miles? I thought levenworth was the closest
Fort Leavenworth is within 25 miles of the northland
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Less than 25

It's (approx) 18 milesfrom Bonner Spring, 22 miles from The Legends, 19 from Wyandotte Co Lake, 18 from Parkville, 20 from Zona Rosa, 23 from Metro North, 25 from Briarcliff, 19 from Tiffany Springs, 10 from Platte City

How many cities have a major civilian airport that close to a military base? I'm certain there's others but it's not going to be a very big list. Could be an advantage to go after the facility
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

ULCajun wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:48 am We have a military base within 25 miles? I thought levenworth was the closest
There is a Marines instillation/base within KCMO and there is the nuclear weapons plant. Leavenworth is within 25 miles. Whiteman and Fort Riley are close too.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Scott AFB is just outside of St. Louis, plus the Boeing (McDonald Douglas Facility)
Offit in Omaha
Tinker in OKC
Colorado Spring would have to be a front runner.

San Antonio has two
Phoenix (Luke)
Tacoma (McCord) also Boeing
California, nothing really close to MMA. Travis is halfway between Oakland and Sacramento. Alaska and HI are probably out.

I assume AFB wil have an advantage since SF is comming out of AF.

Thought FLA would have more but just Elgin in Destin
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:16 am
There is a Marines instillation/base within KCMO and there is the nuclear weapons plant. Leavenworth is within 25 miles. Whiteman and Fort Riley are close too.
Whiteman is within 25 of Sedalia and Warrensburg. Neither are in the top 150 metro areas

Fort Riley has the same problem, Manhattan isn't big enough

The Marines office isn't a miliary base, it's in a civilian facility run by the Dept of Energy and GSA

The Nuclear part plant isn't military, it's Dept of Energy
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I sort of assumed that the permanent location of this is in Trump's imagination.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:48 am
normalthings wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:16 am
Whiteman is within 25 of Sedalia and Warrensburg. Neither are in the top 150 metro areas

Fort Riley has the same problem, Manhattan isn't big enough

The Marines office isn't a miliary base, it's in a civilian facility run by the Dept of Energy and GSA

The Nuclear part plant isn't military, it's Dept of Energy
I don’t think that KC is a front runner (nor any place without existing AF Space Program facilities) but I would be surprised if we got cut round 1.

I guess I was wrong about the Marines thing. The other points are just supposed to be added benefits to the KC region. The NNSA facility carries out high tech research, lab, and testing for other branches of the US Gov. and it is about to be greatly expanded. Seems to me like the talent pools overlap as well.

Riley and Whitman, while not within 25 miles of KC, are in the region. Whiteman is an AFB and hosts some of the more advanced platforms: drones, B2, and eventually the B21.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

chaglang wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:29 am I sort of assumed that the permanent location of this is in Trump's imagination.
It appears that Space Force will be the consolidation of existing space programs housed within AF, Navy, and Army into a single unit. The jobs already exist around the US. They are just looking for a home base.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I would also bet on Colorado because it's a swing state. Massive projects bring massive jobs and job creation brings votes.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Since they already stole the Starfleet logo, my money is on San Francisco as their HQ.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Eon Blue wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:05 am Since they already stole the Starfleet logo, my money is on San Francisco as their HQ.
They could locate in Alameda
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Eon Blue wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:05 am Since they already stole the Starfleet logo, my money is on San Francisco as their HQ.
I'm so glad that someone other than me noticed this! I almost lost my shit when I saw the logo :lol: :lol: :lol:
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

atticus23 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:56 am
I'm so glad that someone other than me noticed this! I almost lost my shit when I saw the logo :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wouldn’t want to be in the early 21st century in the Star Trek timeline. We are only a couple years out from the bell riots
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

atticus23 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:56 am
My money is on Pontiac, Michigan! Their logo is literally an upside down Pontiac Logo. Looking forward to our new Space Laser Beam, Project Aztek.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

How about Wyoming, Michigan. Can pander to two states at once