Poll: East of Troost

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.

Do you live east of Troost?

Do you live east of Troost?
8%
I do not live east of Troost or between Troost and 435.
59%
Do you live east of US 71?
3%
Would you live east of Troost?
31%

Total votes: 39

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Poll: East of Troost

Post by moderne »

Just curious as to how many visiting forum may be Eastsiders.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Poll: East of Troost

Post by alejandro46 »

I don't currently live east of Troost and I'm not sure if I would. It simply boils down to economic reality.

Wife and I are likely having kids soon. Schools north of the river are better without going to a charter or private school. Better for home re-sale values too. Plus we both work N. of the river as well as thats where I grew up, so it makes sense for us to live there.

I really do care so much for the city though and there are a lot of well-done renovated houses EOT, I'd say i'd prefer to live in the Old Northeast as there is less crime there plus lots of beautiful historic homes. Really good question though - Why does the East side have issues and what can we do to help fix it.

I think as younger people need more room and are priced out of the housing market, they will start looking further and further east.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

alejandro46 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:11 pm Why does the East side have issues
Institutional racism in the past.

It takes a long time to undo cultural changes. We're still working on undoing the results of policies of the 1960s and 70s.
I think as younger people need more room and are priced out of the housing market, they will start looking further and further east.
Very likely. I expect we'll end up with a patchwork east side where you have someone renovating a few old homes and a group of new residents will move in around them. The next block over will be untouched.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I will confess. After seeing what is happening in the area just southeast of the new Beacon Hill construction, that is south of 27th(they are calling it Beacon Hill all the way south to 31st) I got interested. Lots of rehab, prices moving up but still cheap, unique homes and topography. Did you know there is a Lake St? I jumped over The Paseo and found a sweet little house with a great lake view. Able to pick it up cheap enough to pay cash and cosmetic renovations needed inexpensive enough to pay cash for. Now I can live rent free, mortgage free near the nexus of Troost renewal, next to a fabulous City Beautiful Blvd, a few blocks from US 71 entrance. Technically still in greater downtown according to the DT Council definition. Pretty adventurous for an OK Boomer. Go East, young man.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Hell yeah. My family bought a house between Troost and Paseo 9 years ago. Our current neighborhood is full of people who were priced out of other areas of midtown 5-10 years ago. Kids are thriving in the KCSD, and the worst thing that's happened to us in terms of crime are some bicycles getting stolen off the porch. Like a lot of things, it's as complicated as you chose to make it.

Lake St. is fantastic. The east slope of Beacon Hill has some lovely blocks.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

neighborhoods east of troost in Old NE and the Beacon Hill area are gentrifying pretty rapidly (by KC standards) because they are so close to downtown attractions and jobs. east of troost in the 30s-50s blocks seems to be changing pretty quickly as well. Squier Park appears well on its way to becoming Hyde Park-like, and homes in manheim park or troostwood are affordable in general but rehabbed homes appear to be trading hands frequently for upper 100s/over 200 which is pretty eye-opening--and the NW corner of Troostwood has long been basically BKS prices. for better or worse the 70s blocks east of troost seem to be dubbed "east waldo" and i think a lot of folks are moving over there and buying very solid homes for relatively little.

it seems like while there is a lot of investment/flipping going on east of troost around downtown and midtown, in general if someone wants a really cool old home, i think it can still be had quite cheaply (less than 100K, sometimes far less) east of troost. if someone can live with a "midtown KC" level of crime (i.e., things happen, esp. property crime, but not terrible), i dont think there is any difference between west of troost vs. east of troost.

we do not currently live east of troost, but i suppose i wouldn't be against it, for the right house--especially if additional amenities continue to arise along troost. we lived near 45th/gillham for 8 years and liked it, but there wasn't too much in terms of easily-available amenities except gillham park and some drugstores nearby. we are currently in morningside and it would be hard to get us to move just b/c it seems like we have so much so close to us.