Armory Block Redevelopment at 3620 Main

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Armory Block Redevelopment at 3620 Main

Post by FangKC »

Big Redevelopment Plan in Works for Historic KC Armory on Main Street
The historic Kansas City National Guard Armory at 3620 Main is slated to be renovated as a food court and boutique hotel, part of the redevelopment wave occurring along Main Street in anticipation of the planned extension of the streetcar line.

Exact Partners, which also is converting the nearby Netherlands Hotel and Monarch Storage Building into apartments at 38th and Main, plans to invest $8 million in renovating the old armory.
It’s part of an ambitious redevelopment plan for much of the block that includes building a five-story, 80-unit apartment project at 37th and Main, and building a dozen single-family townhouses behind the old armory along Baltimore Avenue.
The second phase–the new apartment building at 37th and Main–would begin in about two years and would replace a pawn shop currently at that location.

It calls for underground parking for 100 cars and a five-level, 80-unit apartment building above. Buland said the apartments would meet the proposed city guidelines for affordable housing.
The third phase of Armory Block, the townhouses facing Baltimore, would then follow completion of the apartments.
https://cityscenekc.com/big-redevelopme ... in-street/

The block.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3620+ ... 3848?hl=en
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Armory Block Redevelopment at 3620 Main

Post by kcjak »

This project will be transformative - this block has been a complete eyesore for as long as I can remember. I can't believe they still have the sign for Silo (electronics).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Townhomes! The missing middle!
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Are the townhomes in the parcel that is a parking lot behind the strip mall? I checked Parcel Viewer and it said they belong to a charity of some kind. "Variety House LLC" 3626 Main St Kansas City, MO 64111.

This is an absolutely great project. Looks like an excellent combination of infill and new construction. Projects that build out not just necessarily completely dilapidated corridors but ones that also developing ones along mass transit that may be ripe for new investments that the city can leverage public policy to make more affordable and denser.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I noticed a dumpster and some activity at this site today. I'm not sure if they were working on the Armory building, or the adjacent strip. Hopefully work on the Armory will start soon in earnest. I'm excited to see how this turns out.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:06 pm I noticed a dumpster and some activity at this site today. I'm not sure if they were working on the Armory building, or the adjacent strip. Hopefully work on the Armory will start soon in earnest. I'm excited to see how this turns out.
Parcel viewer shows that Variety still owns the theatre but EXACT owns everything between it and 37th. No permits
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Per the developer for a report I am working on, a Q2 2021 start is eyed for Phase 1 (Armory building redevelopment into a Food Hall and 36 room hotel).
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Tell me about this report...
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Critical_Mass wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:21 pm Tell me about this report...
Special report for an extra class I'm taking. I'm focusing on the adaptive reuse of projects in St. Louis and Kansas City and have chosen to focus on the Armory Block and Netherland/Monarch in KC and the City Foundry and 300 South Broadway in St. Louis. Two of the projects are completed and two are underway/or planned.

The report will stay private when complete.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Music venue being looked at here.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:32 am Music venue being looked at here.
Never happen.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:42 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:32 am Music venue being looked at here.
Never happen.
That comes from the BizJorunal and includes renderings.
The partnership of Denver developer Ilan Salzberg and Kansas City architect Caleb Buland has received positive feedback from prospective national partners for two separate test fits for that building — an events and concert promoter for an entertainment venue with a Class A restaurant, and an operator for a food hall beneath a hotel, Buland said Tuesday.

The chosen test fit could be determined around March, after which the developer will seek to earn state historic tax credits by July and start construction in August, he added.
Music Venue rendering description...
Exact Partners also has been in communication with a possible national event and concert promoter to operate an entertainment venue in the former Kansas City National Guard Armory building.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 3#cxrecs_s

Renderings...
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

You're looking at two different proposals. One is the food hall and restaurant idea and the second is a music venue. I don't see the music venue flying in that building. The food hall proposal is nice. I'd prefer to see apartments instead of the hotel, but we'll just have to see.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Commercial Component is now leasing,

https://clemonslife.com/commercial-list ... 8964-lease
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Some new renderings and an update on the apartment building portion is available in the latest BizJournal article on this project...

Shop Local KC will have a maker space in the Armory Building...
The future Armory building makerspace is planned to further expand upon Shop Local KC's concept, as what Mabry van Dieren said would be comparable to an indoor, year-round Strawberry Swing fair. She envisions additional food offerings, perhaps from aspiring restaurateurs who don't yet have the capital to open their own locations, in addition to a music component.

"I really hope it becomes a place where we can celebrate local and handmade food and music all the time. ... This is something other big cities have and it becomes a tourist destination," Mabry van Dieren said. "I hope to help launch all of these little businesses and raise awareness for them."

Above the future makerspace, the Armory building also is set to include a 40-room boutique hotel, potentially run by professional hospitality providers who will host beds on Airbnb, said Kansas City architect Caleb Buland, who leads Exact Partners alongside Denver developer Ilan Salzberg.
A little more information about phase 2...
The 3600 Main block plans show 8,080 square feet of ground-floor commercial space, including for potential fitness, gallery and cafe users. Above these spaces are 128 loft-style apartments — 28 studios, 68 one- and 32 two-bedroom units. Eight townhouses are planned behind the new buildings along Baltimore Avenue.

The full Armory block development will be served by 187 total parking spaces across an underground garage and surface parking behind the mixed-use building.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... tners.html

And if the historic tax credits are awarded this fall, construction could begin on the project (redevelopment of the Armory) by the end of the year.

I'm really looking forward to Main's transformation on these blocks between Linwood and 40th. Between Exact, Mac, and LuxLiving, this stretch will be improved significantly over the next 5 years. You love to see it.

Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Any updates?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Riverite wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:24 pm Any updates?
I'll email Exact Partners to see if there's an update. I imagine we'll see something start this year.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

No updates on the redevelopment or the new construction portion, but with the Mac Properties project out there now, I wonder if this will make a comeback.

Here are pictures of the Armory site from today...
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It does seem like things have been progressing behind the scenes with this throughout the year. They did receive CPC approval in July. It looks like it was supposed to go full Council on 8/25, but I just gave a quick look over the minutes and didn't see it on there.

Exact has a lot on their plates right now and much of it does seem to be moving slowly (if at all). But they do have a good track record, so hopefully we will start seeing more movement.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... dwill.html

Bummer, sounds like this particular project is dead as Exact has sold to Richard Hoffman, owner and founding member of Precision Roofing.
Exact envisioned multifamily and commercial spaces inside the building, plus new mixed-use apartments and townhomes on adjoining properties.

However, Buland said, Exact found a limited number of food hall and hotel brands with an appetite for a small-format location in the current economy. He thinks Hoffman has interest in redeveloping the building with an event space, a food and beverage component, and an automotive museum.