KCAI Liberal Arts Center

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

KCAI Liberal Arts Center

Post by Critical_Mass »

KCAI Liberal Arts Center breaks ground on Friday.
Going in the empty lot at the NE corner of 44th & Oak.
Designed by Hufft. Looks like a great addition!

http://hufft.com/kcai-breaks-ground-on- ... -services/

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: KCAI Liberal Arts Center

Post by FangKC »

KCAI Launches Liberal Arts Project, Part of $30M Campus Overhaul
The Kansas City Art Institute kicked off construction of a new liberal arts building last week, part of a $30 million campus building program that’s creating a new future for the 134 year-old school.
On a brilliant, mild April morning, Jones addressed an audience gathered on the lawn at the northeast corner of 44th and Oak where the 18,000 square-foot facility designed by Hufft of Kansas City is being built.

Across Oak Street, the tower crane was visible above a new 244-bed student residence hall and dining center being built along Warwick Boulevard.
On a brilliant, mild April morning, Jones addressed an audience gathered on the lawn at the northeast corner of 44th and Oak where the 18,000 square-foot facility designed by Hufft of Kansas City is being built.

Across Oak Street, the tower crane was visible above a new 244-bed student residence hall and dining center being built along Warwick Boulevard.
He anticipated enrollment at KCAI is expected to increase from 640 students to 700-725 students over the next five years.
https://cityscenekc.com/kcai-launches-l ... -overhaul/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

They have some great plans to better connect the campus visually to the proposed streetcar stop on Main.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Overall looks like a nice addition to the area. I love to see the short stone walls around the entrance. Will make it look like its been there all along.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The building looks fine. I'm still sad about the home that was torn down on that lot.

I remember a Fank Lloyd Wright quote being on the house: "Buildings, too, are children of Earth and Sun". I seem to recall that being carved in the stonework on the house, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly and it was just on a sign. I can't find a date on when that quote was made, but if it is original to the house, that would make me think it was a Louis Curtiss. I know he designed Mineral Hall, right across the street.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Not sure the Curtiss reference is accurate. A quick search doesn't say anything about who the architect is, but if it was Curtiss I'd think HKC would have stomped their feet a little more:
http://midtownkcpost.com/historic-house ... ming-down/
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I was not happy about the house demo either, I liked that house. I do not think that was a Louis Curtiss house, it did not have unique enough features.

One bright spot, there is a close copy on Janssen Place!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Janss ... 94.5782151
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC Art Institute Toasts New Era with Residence Hall Opening

The Kansas City Art Institute celebrated a remarkable six-year turn around Wednesday at the grand opening of its new Barbara Marshall Residence Hall, part of a $30 million construction boom at the venerable campus.

The 223-bed residence hall, student center and dining hall replaces an obsolete dorm built in 1972 and symbolizes the current renaissance of the school that began with the hiring of Tony Jones, the Nerman Family President, in late 2014.
KCAI expects its enrollment to increase to 750 students over the next couple years, up from 640 last year.
The residence hall designed by Helix Architecture + Design and built by J.E. Dunn Construction features four-person semi-suites, two per room with a shared bathroom. Its contemporary feel is accented by the concrete walls and high ceilings.
Other features of the residence hall include a fitness center, lounge space, underground parking, art galleries on the third and fourth floor, and something any former student would appreciate, free laundry machines.
The new residence complex also includes the Sherman Family Student Union, the school’s first-ever student union, and a spacious cafeteria space: Wylie Dining for full meals, and Café Nerman for a la carte items.
Rounding out the construction program, the school’s new liberal arts building, DeBruce Hall, is expected to be completed in April. The 18,000 square-foot facility designed by Hufft architecture is at northeast corner of 44th and Oak.
https://cityscenekc.com/kc-art-institut ... l-opening/