"Tower East"

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
moderne
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: "Tower East"

Post by moderne » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Catfish sandwich is best fish sandwich in town, for any of you still observant of Lent Catholics.

nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:39 am

Kitties and M&M Bakery are great!

WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by WSPanic » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:13 am

nickyrosstheboss wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:39 am
Kitties and M&M Bakery are great!
The Hook 'Em Up is a good sandwich.

johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:55 pm

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:26 pm
WSPanic wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:53 am
We already have about a dozen or more head shops in midtown. I would think maybe two or three medical dispensaries tops in the neighborhood. Not sure that it will be all that noticeable.
I think there will be significantly more.

As of March 11, there had already been 63 applications for dispensaries in Missouri's 5th congressional district. There will be a minimum of 24 dispensary licenses per congressional district, and I don't believe there is currently a maximum number.

I wouldn't be surprised if half of the dispensaries in the 5th are in Midtown and Downtown. So, if there are only 24 licenses, I think we could see 6-8 dispensaries in Midtown - maybe more if they go past 24 for the district.

I could see some conservative state legislators wanting to cap the number of dispensaries, but the state will take in considerable revenue, so there is incentive to grant a lot of licenses.

I think you could see some head shop/vape shop/gift shops converting to dispensaries. I'm not sure what the rules and regulations are, but when I went to a dispensary in Washington, I seem to recall that they only sold marijuana products. It might be because of financial/accounting reasons (cash only) or the fact that you have to be carded to enter. So while a place like It's a Beautiful Day would probably like to add weed to their store, I don't think it is that simple. They would likely open a second store nearby. Maybe some store owners will decide to completely convert their businesses to dispensaries, but I think most will occupy new spaces.

In addition to dispensaries, you will have cultivation facilities and infusion manufacturing facilities that may impact the warehouse/light industrial market. A clinic for prescriptions has already opened in River Market and I suspect we will see a few more of those around town.

I don't think there will necessarily be a drastic change to the fundamentals of the commercial real estate market, but I think there could be a noticeable dip in vacancy rates once all of these businesses lease up spots, especially in areas where you might expect to see a higher than average concentration, such as Midtown.
Not only will there likely be a handful of shops in midtown but I imagine you'll see alot of new "doctor offices" opening up too.

moderne
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by moderne » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:02 am

Anyone know who is taking over the former "Attitude" space at Cherry & 31st? Someone is putting in new restaurant and doing a substantial remodel. Gone is the crusty patina and in is a bright and cheery dining room.

KCtoBrooklyn
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCtoBrooklyn » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:13 am

I have heard talk that it is going to be a vegan restaurant.

brewcrew1000
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by brewcrew1000 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:22 am

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:13 am
I have heard talk that it is going to be a vegan restaurant.
Maybe this will be the new FUD spot, i thought she wanted to reopen even though she sounds crazy

KCtoBrooklyn
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCtoBrooklyn » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:41 am

There were reports that Fud was going to reopen in the Crossroads around 19th and Wyandotte. In fact, I just checked, and Google maps shows them at that location. However, it seems like things have been quiet on this front for a while, so I'm guessing it may not be happening.

I don't know who is behind this new spot, but I feel like if it was Heidi, word would have leaked.

There was a rumor a while back (shortly after Fud closed), that some of the chefs/employees of Fud were going to open their own spot around Tower East. I believe they were supposed to go where Brewer's Kitchen is now. I also heard a possibility of them going into the same building as Inner Space Yoga at 27th and Troost. Maybe they have finally gotten everything together and found a space.

moderne
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by moderne » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:15 pm

The Fix coffee shop soon to open in the former Attitude space @31st & Cherry.

KCtoBrooklyn
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCtoBrooklyn » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:23 pm

Sounds like The Fix is more of a vegan restaurant than a coffee shop:

"A plant-based eatery offering heart-healthy breakfast and lunch during the week, and brunch on weekends. In the evening hours, local epicureans will pop up, offering a mouth-watering variety of inspired, plant-rich dishes."

Looks like it is scheduled to open December 1st.

moderne
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by moderne » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:14 pm

Will be a switch from Attitude which was sinfully greasy.