Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

While most of the headline grabbing apartment growth of the last few years has been Downtown, it looks like the Midtown/Plaza area is about to go through an apartment building boom. Midtown has had some construction the last few years (a couple big buildings by the Plaza, all of the Mac Properties work, and finishing up Union Hill), it looks like what we may see over the next couple years could dwarf that).

Here is the list of projects that I can think of. I know a few of these projects may be question marks, but I think most of them have a good chance of being built. Let me know if there are any I am missing:

Westport Area:
Opus Westport - 256 Units + retail.

Westport Manor Square Apartments+ hotel -191 units

West 39th St Apartments - 46 units

3260 Main - 82 units + retail

Norman School - 61 units

Congress Building -45 units

The Netherland and Monarch - 152 units + 3 stories of senior apartments (unspecified units), retail, and event space

3700 Block of Main - Rehab of two long-vacant 4 Plex buildings - 8 units

KCAI Living Center -250 beds

Midtown Plaza (MGE building reuse+ new construction) 335 units + retail in 4 phases

Plaza Area:
4600 Madison on the Plaza: 247 units

46 Summit on the Plaza - 70 units

Dylan 4711 Belleview - 170 units

Artisan Apartments, Southmoreland - 98 units

Mirabelle Apartments - North Plaza -101 units in 2 phases

The Tudors - North Plaza - 16 townhouses

Whole Foods + Apartments by UMKC - 170 units

44th and Washington - 188 units

44 Belle - 138 units + retail

Legacy Crown Point - 6 units

Troost Area:

Mac Properties Armour and Troost - 372 units + retail

27th and Troost - 185 units + retail

Linwood and Troost - UC-B - 89 units

Wonder Lofts on Troost - 86 units + retail and office. Under Construction

55 Troost - 47 units
Scholars Row -5220 Troost - 41 units

Colonnades at Beacon Hill - 30 units

3 Duplexes in Hyde Park with 3-bed units - 6 units

25th and Troost - 248 units in 10 buildings, plus 1 commercial space

Armour Blvd
Red Cross building conversion by MAC - 61 units

Mac Properties Armour and Cherry - 111 units

Union Hill -ish - area:

31 Levy in Longfellow: 123 Units + retail.

Gallerie in Union Hill/South of Crown Center: 423 units + retail.

Acme Cleaning building on Linwood - 19 units

Total: 4,468 units

Dead
25th and Troost - 350 units -replaced by a different development

North Plaza Hotel/Apartment/Retail project - 132 units - apartment portion removed, will now be 2 hotel buildings
Last edited by KCtoBrooklyn on Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 16 times in total.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Post by moderne »

Delete the 31 Levy on Union Hill
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Is that for certain? I've heard conflicting reports with some saying they are still working on getting it together?
mykn

Post by mykn »

I’m pretty sure Midtown Plaza is dead. There’s been no updates for a long time and I haven’t seen any permit activity in awhile. Anyone know differently?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Believe the 25/Troost project is dead; MAC at Armour is closer to 300 units; UCB at Linwood is probably dead.
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

Thinking about buying an investment property at 36th/Wyandotte (between Main and Broadway).

Do you all think the area will continue to develop into a thriving area or stay more of a block to block neighborhood?

Also -- is the streetcar to UMKC (or some type of extension) actually going to happen? Confused by the election results and this will influence a lot of things.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

grecobs wrote:Thinking about buying an investment property at 36th/Wyandotte (between Main and Broadway).

Do you all think the area will continue to develop into a thriving area or stay more of a block to block neighborhood?

Also -- is the streetcar to UMKC (or some type of extension) actually going to happen? Confused by the election results and this will influence a lot of things.
The streetcar will help overall. Even indirect areas will get value. If 500 new jobs appear in the four miles because businesses like the train those won't be filled only by people riding the streetcar or living three blocks away.

As to happening there's two major steps left that isn't city council driven:
The tax approval election and finding matching funding. Once it's fully funded things will be clearer.
ULCajun
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ULCajun »

grecobs wrote:Thinking about buying an investment property at 36th/Wyandotte (between Main and Broadway).

We bought a house on this block last year. We are hoping the streetcar is going to improve development. Also, there are like 5 gay couples in houses in the blocks surrounding...so thats a good sign right? (including us :D)
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

3260 Main, West 39th, and Acme Cleaning all received the requested tax abatements:
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ments.html

I will defer to the streetcar experts like Dave, but they all seem to be planning on the extension still happening. Perhaps they are just being optimistic, but I will believe them (optimistically).

Even without the streetcar extension, I don't see any reason why that area wouldn't continue to improve. With the streetcar it will happen more rapidly and drastically.

Mac's renovation of the buildings of the buildings on Armour and Wyandotte is a great addition to that area. Same with the renovation of the apartment buildings at 38th and Main. There are plans for construction of townhouses on one of the vacant lots nearby. Warwick has also undergone a pretty significant transformation over the last few years with a number of rundown, under-occupied, low-rent apartment buildings being renovated.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

3260 Main developers are also talking about redeveloping the Mattress Store site at 38th and Main and making a mixed use development similar to 3260 Main. If this happens I really think it will cause a domino affect and other stuff starts going away like the shady Shell Station and hopefully the Plasma Center
capitolwildcat
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by capitolwildcat »

Development and business will boom. It's a true irony that people complain about traffic and surface parking. The ability to free yourself from your car is such a selling point and it will draw so many people and businesses to the line.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f5/f5/5f ... c0db5a.jpg

Check out the photo. It's not an accident that Northern Virginia is dense and vibrant right along the Orange Line. None of that was there in the 70s. Connecting people always drives growth. It's shocking to me how far behind we are on this.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grecobs wrote:Also -- is the streetcar to UMKC (or some type of extension) actually going to happen? Confused by the election results and this will influence a lot of things.
yes. it's just a matter of when. the biggest hurdle was (and will always be) local funding. while there is one more election to go, it would be nearly impossible to lose at this point given past election results.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

capitolwildcat wrote:Development and business will boom. It's a true irony that people complain about traffic and surface parking. The ability to free yourself from your car is such a selling point and it will draw so many people and businesses to the line.

Check out the photo. It's not an accident that Northern Virginia is dense and vibrant right along the Orange Line. None of that was there in the 70s. Connecting people always drives growth. It's shocking to me how far behind we are on this.
None of that was there in the 70s but neither were Lobbyists and a massive expansion of the gov't, those things really put that kind of growth in hyperdrive
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

brewcrew1000 wrote:3260 Main developers are also talking about redeveloping the Mattress Store site at 38th and Main and making a mixed use development similar to 3260 Main. If this happens I really think it will cause a domino affect and other stuff starts going away like the shady Shell Station and hopefully the Plasma Center
That's great to hear about the Mattress Store site! Although I would hope the developer would consider a different architect, or change up the design from their current two developments which look very similar.

Unfortunately, I think the Shell and the Plasma Center might be some of the last dominoes to fall. They both seem to be doing fine business and wouldn't have much of a motivation to sell. The Plasma Center looks like it had some renovations done not long ago. The Shell doesn't have to be "shady". As more and more buildings get renovated and positive developments go in, the Shell will hopefully improve.

A spot that seems prime for redevelopment is the Missouri Title Loans shack and lot on the 3700 block of Main. That site and the Cash America Pawn building (which is up for sale) are high on my list of likely redevelopment candidates for that stretch of Main.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

midtown is full of look-a-like homes and apartment buildings (which we cherish, now that they've aged). why so much fuss when new projects resemble each other?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Eh, I don't really think it's worth making a fuss over, but if I had my druthers, I would prefer some variety in the designs (especially because I think their current two proposals aren't particularly attractive). Although I would happily take that same design over a mattress store.

With the current plan for two buildings, I don't care too much that they are similar, but if they are already considering a 3rd (and who knows how many more in the future), I would prefer that they have some variety.
capitolwildcat
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by capitolwildcat »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
capitolwildcat wrote:Development and business will boom. It's a true irony that people complain about traffic and surface parking. The ability to free yourself from your car is such a selling point and it will draw so many people and businesses to the line.

None of that was there in the 70s but neither were Lobbyists and a massive expansion of the gov't, those things really put that kind of growth in hyperdrive
That's true. Nothing occurs in a vacuum. Downtown KC may actually be a better example of growth driven largely by the transportation. In either case, the more important point is that the both transportation projects concentrated development that would have otherwise continued to sprawl.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I updated the original post here to add The Netherlands/Monarch, 44 Belle, Mac Properties at Armour and Cherry. Changed number of units on Armour and Troost to the latest plan and moved Midtown Plaza and 25th and Troost into a new "Probably Dead" category.

Also working on adding pics.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Add the Uptown Shoppes redevelopment.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16964&start=20#p571512
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:I updated the original post here to add The Netherlands/Monarch, 44 Belle, Mac Properties at Armour and Cherry. Changed number of units on Armour and Troost to the latest plan and moved Midtown Plaza and 25th and Troost into a new "Probably Dead" category.

Also working on adding pics.
well done. lots going on.