Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
mykn

Re: Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Post by mykn »

FINALLY, this has been taking years to get this going.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

After reading the CitySceneKC piece about this...

When I lived on Union Hill in the 1990's and early 2000's, *I* was one of those who asked, "Market Rate Apartments on Armour? Are you crazy?"

Happily I was wrong. The city is becoming a cohesive metropolis.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Pretty surprised to see this is still being put forward by Sunsource. I assumed the property would have changed hands given their financial issues.

EDIT: But these look much better than the plans that circulated a few years ago that had garages opening onto the sidewalk.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Anyone hear anything about the proposed apartment building on 39th just east of SW Trfy where the boarded up car wash is located?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The rowhouse project on 34th is a great design for the neighborhood. Really ties in with the historic architecture. Wonder what the price point will be? Once the streetcar extension is underway I expect any vacant lots to disappear, and then more than a few teardowns and replacements(like some of the rundown sixties garden apartments).
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

moderne wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:22 pm Once the streetcar extension is underway I expect any vacant lots to disappear, and then more than a few teardowns and replacements(like some of the rundown sixties garden apartments).
Within two blocks there really aren't that many vacant lots to disappear and most of those that exist are owned by the neighboring building.

American Century has the biggest cluster

Nearly everything would be teardowns or splitting parcels and building on parking.
mykn

Post by mykn »

moderne wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:22 pm The rowhouse project on 34th is a great design for the neighborhood. Really ties in with the historic architecture. Wonder what the price point will be? Once the streetcar extension is underway I expect any vacant lots to disappear, and then more than a few teardowns and replacements(like some of the rundown sixties garden apartments).
You should have witnessed the behind-the-scenes battle with the neighborhood association over this project.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It will come down to the materials/finishes, but it looks like these could turn out pretty nice.

I especially like the curved parts. Reminds me of some towhnouses you would see in Brooklyn, like this:

KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

kcjak wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:17 am Anyone hear anything about the proposed apartment building on 39th just east of SW Trfy where the boarded up car wash is located?
It seems like things have gone quiet with this, as well as the sister project from this developer on Main St, south of Linwood.

This is just speculation, but I seem to remember this developer mentioning the streetcar extension as an impetus for these developments -perhaps they are waiting for confirmation of the federal funds before breaking ground.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:07 pm This is just speculation, but I seem to remember this developer mentioning the streetcar extension as an impetus for these developments -perhaps they are waiting for confirmation of the federal funds before breaking ground.
I hear a lot of other developers planning the same timing. I think it’s a mistake. Increased demand for construction crews and equipment will cause the price to skyrocket. Bite the bullet and start building with the real possibility the federal money comes through.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If free bus happens this May and is a success, it may spur more action. Developers may be encouraged that fewer parking spots would be needed too.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I also like the rounded sections with windows.
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:20 pm
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:07 pm This is just speculation, but I seem to remember this developer mentioning the streetcar extension as an impetus for these developments -perhaps they are waiting for confirmation of the federal funds before breaking ground.
I hear a lot of other developers planning the same timing. I think it’s a mistake. Increased demand for construction crews and equipment will cause the price to skyrocket. Bite the bullet and start building with the real possibility the federal money comes through.
I don't think one can really go wrong building new apartments in Midtown regardless of streetcar status.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Alchemy Ventures (branch of Alchemy Properties) has been going on a spending spree in KC.
The firm has begun acquiring properties along main street near Westport, near Armour Blvd, on Linwood, around 31st& Troost, and near Independence Blvd on east side. Incorporation of property LLCs started in late 2019 and has continued into this year.

Alchemy Properties was founded in 1990 and has since developed over $6 billion in luxury NYC condos and apartments. This includes the top of the line Woolsworth Condo Project.

Alchemy has strong financial backing with lending partners including Bank of America, HSBC, Bank Ozark and equity partners including Blackrock, Prudential, Carlyle Group and Credit Suisse.

Developer Website:
https://alchemy-properties.com/alc-prop ... dies/#35xv
Last edited by normalthings on Thu May 07, 2020 8:37 am, edited 8 times in total.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

normalthings wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:40 am Alchemy Ventures (branch of Alchemy Properties) has been going on a spending spree in KC. The firm has begun acquiring properties along main street near Westport, Armour Blvd, and a few east side locations.

Developer Website:
Interesting any idea what they plan on doing, they seem to only have New York properties online
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:59 am
normalthings wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:40 am Alchemy Ventures (branch of Alchemy Properties) has been going on a spending spree in KC. The firm has begun acquiring properties along main street near Westport, Armour Blvd, and a few east side locations.

Developer Website:
Interesting any idea what they plan on doing, they seem to only have New York properties online
At this point the common trend between parcels they purchased is that they are near tracts of other derelict structures or cleared land(surface lots, cleared fields). To me that looks like they are starting to acquire sets of parcels to develop later on. Also possible they want to redevelop those buildings and need surface parking. Buy, hold, sell is possible too. Many possibilities at this point.
Last edited by normalthings on Thu May 07, 2020 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Very exciting, looks like they have lots of financial backing.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Great out of town score even if no specific plans yet. Many high quality highly urbane properties. Even more impressive if true they are investing on E Side. The E Side has much more momentum than anyone could dream of. E Bannister also apparently getting a Price Chopper.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:17 am Great out of town score even if no specific plans yet. Many high quality highly urbane properties. Even more impressive if true they are investing on E Side. The E Side has much more momentum than anyone could dream of. E Bannister also apparently getting a Price Chopper.
I used public ownership records so 100% confident on the east side investment. I should clarify Troost & 31st area and Independence Blvd & Bellefontaine area are the two east side ones
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

What is the name of the LLC they are using and what is your source of the records? I'm not seeing anything with Alchemy in the title, or that would seem to match.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

So I'm seeing 4 buildings that it looks like Alchemy purchased (maybe I'm missing some):

The Boston Apartments at 38th and Main.
The formerly known as Narcissist Apartments at 31st and Harrison (was a North Terrace Property).
712 Linwood Blvd (was owned by Knaack).
And 500 Gladstone Blvd.

Interesting. From their website, it doesn't look like they own any properties outside of NYC, but I guess they are expanding now. I hope they put some money into their properties. I don't see any development sites that they have purchased.

On a note somewhat related to 31st and Harrison, the majority of the block of Harrison south of Linwood is under contract for sale -52 units in 7 buildings (no word on the purchaser). The one apartment on that block not included (NW corner of 33rd and Harrison) recently underwent a massive renovation and has gone from what I believe was institutional housing to higher-end market rate. With activity happening at 911 Linwood and hopefully some good new owners for the rest of the block, it looks like we could see a huge transformation for one of the more forlorn blocks in the area.