Poll: Does the Plaza need a drastic change, some change or on the right path?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.

Does the Plaza need a drastic change or on the right path?

Keep it as is - almost entirely as a shopping/restaurant mall district.
16%
Mix things up just a little more such as adding neighborhood amenities, broader nightlife, lighter eats.
45%
Needs more drastic change with less mall focus, pedestrian only street, residential within.
30%
Don't care.
7%
Other
1%

Total votes: 69

earthling
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Poll: Does the Plaza need a drastic change, some change or on the right path?

Post by earthling »

If the CBRE reports are right, average Plaza rent went from $20sqft Q1/2017 to $30 recently.

See first post first page...
https://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20274

Then..
https://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?p=595688#p595688

beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Poll: Does the Plaza need a drastic change, some change or on the right path?

Post by beautyfromashes »

Yes, but I think this will bring/is bringing increased vacancy rates in the near future. Perhaps, the owner is fine with that, they’d prefer a 80% rented rate at $30 compared to 97% rented at $20. My thought is that a lower rented percentage will also begin dropping prices. Balancing act. I’d take the consistent burn for a long stretch over slamming on the gas and risking a breakdown.

Riverite
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Riverite »

Yes perhaps they could come to some understanding and add in amenities into open spots for a lesser rate in order to be able to drive more traffic total

TheLastGentleman
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Riverite wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:06 pm
However, people will increasingly buy online, unless there is a unique experience or it is dense enough to make it more convenient.
And that’s why I think the Plaza needs to lean into its escapist origins. Maybe even try to get businesses with actual connections to Spain. We’re Seville’s sister city after all. Make the Plaza fun!

moderne
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by moderne »

Running of the Bulls down Nichols Rd? Miller Nichols pushed the Seville thing with the Giralda Tower (The Cheesecake Factory Tower of Enormous Portions?) and the Seville Light Fountain.

earthling
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by earthling »

CBRE says that Plaza vacancy actually improved from 3.1% in Q2/2019 to 2% in Q3. Will be interesting to see next couple quarters with the recent exodus...

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC »

moderne wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:45 pm
I lived on 46 Terrace where the empty lots now are. My apartment was in the building right in front of the remnant of fountain in the retaining wall. One bedroom with sunporch, view of west half of plaza for $420.00. Even with new things like Saks the Plaza still functioned as a neighborhood center as well as the locale for high end retail.
As for "Save Our Plaza": when I lived there a college chum from Europe stayed a week. Nearly every morning when I woke, he would be in the sunroom
and would remark how it reminded him of home. Years later, when I told him how that entire street had vanished he said in Europe it would have not happened/could have not happened.
1940 tax photos of the north side of 46th Terrace.

South side of 46th Terrace.

moderne
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by moderne »

Wow, Fang, thanks for the photos. Looks like my old sun porch was still just a porch before windows were put in. Will never forget the night one of the windows imploded(but did not break) the night of the explosion at the south KC 71 highway work site. The sound wave traversed the city and came right up the hill. Ma Barker and her boys were said to have lived on the street for a period but I never was able to find out which building.

horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Fantastic photos fang, thanks. Would love to see the East side repopulated with homes like those.