Plaza Environs

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Plaza Environs

Post by normalthings »

kcmiz wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:25 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:39 pm
jasty5 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:09 pm I think this may be mentioned on other threads, but I can't seem to find it. I am hearing that a proposed project at 45th and main (old Holiday Inn) is picking up steam. BMcD is doing the architecture, and the owner is Americo, same owner as Waddell & Reed. Design is apparently progressing and it looks to include a 30-story apartment tower.
This is exciting. Hopefully the 30-story tower happens. Although I hope the ground level of this is better than Reverb or Waddell and Reed.
Is the Extended Stay hotel next door part of the deal? That land is really underutilized especially so with a streetcar stop coming to 45th & Main.

Agreed this area needs better ground level activation. Between these hotels and the American Century towers, the pedestrian experience is pretty awful at present.

And pretty, pretty please, no more curb cuts on Main St. It will only slow the streetcar route down.
It is owned by someone else. There are no recent due diligence filings. The current owner of the extended stay is the developer of Wadell & Reed's current HQ.

http://www.investmentresources.net/prop ... ercial.php
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

jasty5 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:09 pm I think this may be mentioned on other threads, but I can't seem to find it. I am hearing that a proposed project at 45th and main (old Holiday Inn) is picking up steam. BMcD is doing the architecture, and the owner is Americo, same owner as Waddell & Reed. Design is apparently progressing and it looks to include a 30-story apartment tower.
Time to start a new thread for this. It will be interesting to see how they finance the project. Doubt incentives for a Plaza tower would go over well. Is there an estimate for when they hope to build?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Walker wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:08 pm
Time to start a new thread for this. It will be interesting to see how they finance the project. Doubt incentives for a Plaza tower would go over well. Is there an estimate for when they hope to build?
Wonder how the Reed news changes this. If at all
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If the Merriman family, who controls Americo Life, still has a stake in Waddell & Reed, they might be getting a big payout from that sale, that can finance redevelopment of the Holiday Inn site.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

FangKC wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:57 pm If the Merriman family, who controls Americo Life, still has a stake in Waddell & Reed, they might be getting a big payout from that sale, that can finance redevelopment of the Holiday Inn site.
Just spotted his car in Palm Beach outside Celerie Kemble's shop yesterday -- his is the only Kansas (Johnson county) tag I know with the vanity plate "Palm Bch"
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Does anyone know what this project is or was? I don't remember it.
Sited atop the summit at 47th and Belleview Streets, overlooking the Plaza to the east, this proposed 11 story structure would command the western edge of the Country Club Plaza, Kansas City, Missouri’s prominent retail and restaurant district.

The building design comprises 24 units ranging in size from 1,400 square feet for one bedroom units to 3,800 square feet for the two penthouse locations. Two elevators provide access from the lobbies and parking levels to the living units above. Each unit is planned to have outdoor decks finished with sustainably harvested Cyprus planking.

In addition to two levels of enclosed parking the building design includes 1400 square feet of club area for parties, including an outdoor deck above the Belleview street level and a swimming pool with operable shading devices on the south side of the building. A level dedicated to storage spaces for each unit is also provided above the parking deck levels.
https://piper-wind.com/47th-belleview-condominiums

Last edited by normalthings on Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^Interesting. I wonder if it could be an active proposal. If it is, and the Dylan is built, that whole side of that stretch of Belleview would be filled in. The design mimics the Polsinelli Building near the Fontaine.

I do doubt it is a recent proposal though. Maybe something from years ago.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This project died right? So why would any of these others have legs? Also it sounds like 3 Light will end up being smaller than2 Light if it ever goes up. Just wondering the chances of these actually happening.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:17 am This project died right? So why would any of these others have legs? Also it sounds like 3 Light will end up being smaller than2 Light if it ever goes up. Just wondering the chances of these actually happening.
47 Madison just requested a development plan extension. I doubt it’s entirely dead. The site made it a bit of a “non standard” project.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

This is the first I have seen of the Belleview Condo proposal. It appears that webpage was created in August of this year, so I think it is a fairly new proposal.

The parking lot to the south of the building (which looks like it might be part of the project, but that is not clear) is owned by the Brain Group (Andrew Brain). I think at one point, that lot might have been part of an expanded Dylan plan. It was recently put up for sale (separate from The Dylan lot). It looks like the lot came along with the sale of the office building across the street, on the east side of Belleview (owned by Brain).

The law firm building on the corner is owned by Prime Investment LLC, which I am not familiar with.

I am not sure what all of this means. My first thought was that Brain might have been involved in putting this plan together because they did recently have a mid-rise residential proposal for Beacon Hill that ended up falling through. I know Helix was the architect on that one, not Piper-Wind (although that may not be significant). But now, I am thinking this is not tied to the Brain Group.

Edit - I just noticed the "existing building" to the south on the site plan. I believe that was a small house that was demolished around 2013, so this probably is an old project and the source I found for the webpage being created this year is incorrect.
GRID wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:17 am This project died right? So why would any of these others have legs? Also it sounds like 3 Light will end up being smaller than2 Light if it ever goes up. Just wondering the chances of these actually happening.
That seems like over-the-top pessimism. Just because two completely unrelated projects have been stalled that means we shouldn't think that any other proposal has legs? Despite numerous other developments being built?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Regarding the Belleview condos tower, I saved a rendering to my phone and it dates back to August 7th, 2007. So I’d say it’s dead.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

47 Madison isn’t dead but just paused. The large redevelopment project at the Holiday Inn has legs because it’s owner, Americo, is a financial institution. Americo and B&M can use their retirement and insurance funds to develop real estate. Northwestern Mutual has done the same in Milwaukee.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Russel Stover HQ is undergoing a multi-phase renovation
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Drone photos...
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Rumor is that this will be Block's next project once 46 Penn is stabilized.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

langosta wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:25 am
I hope so.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:14 am
langosta wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:25 am
I hope so.
It seems with Cross First and RSM signed already even in a COVID environment, they must be pretty happy with progress. I would suspect they are getting some free months rent, but they will be there long term still.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The Dylan is under contract with a new developer.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

4901 Main Office Building is a six-story, 221,000-square-foot office building south of the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City, Missouri. The building is situated on 2.25 acres and includes a structured parking garage with 704 parking spaces (3.26 parking spaces per 1,000 square feet).

Saw this in a project flier dated Feb 2021. I don't recall seeing it before.

https://vantrustrealestate.com/property/4901-main/

Google Map Referencee;

https://goo.gl/maps/yepvR3ekw11T6Rkq7