Plaza Environs

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza Environs

Post by Highlander »

Not sure where to put this because its not quite on the Plaza and it doesn't have its own thread.

13-floor residential tower west of the Plaza. Looks like a pretty cool development. Not sure where it will be from the description. It would seem like it targets the triangular piece of land that sits just south of what was at least once known the Plaza West Office development? Between Madison and Roanoke? I hope so. That parcel of land was initially going to be Phase II of the Plaza West development dating way back to the 1980's. It was either Kroh Brothers or Executive Hills (can't remember) but the overbuilt market and problems with both companies left the parcel vacant since. Great to see it being developed.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 76589.html
smh
Supporter

Re: Plaza Environs

Post by smh »

You are correct, the triangle parcel.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

$46 Million expansion of American Century Investments
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:33 pm $46 Million expansion of American Century Investments
Where is this clip from?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:44 pm
normalthings wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:33 pm $46 Million expansion of American Century Investments
Where is this clip from?
EDCKC Dated April 2019 https://edckc.s3.amazonaws.com/AdvanceK ... Packet.pdf
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Expansion or just a rehabilitation?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

The announcement reads like they want to renovate the existing towers. The renovation will create space for new employees. There is no language that sounds like new construction there so I am guessing they want the extra space for parking for the additional employees. If that is true, surface parking will front Main from the north end of their existing buildings all of the way to 43rd Street.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Highlander wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:44 pm The announcement reads like they want to renovate the existing towers. The renovation will create space for new employees. There is no language that sounds like new construction there so I am guessing they want the extra space for parking for the additional employees. If that is true, surface parking will front Main from the north end of their existing buildings all of the way to 43rd Street.
Yeah, they canceled the incentive ask a few months later

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... bonds.html
A shelved plan for an incentivized $86 million renovation of the American Century towers made its way to a Kansas City Council agenda on Wednesday in error.

The item said the Kansas City-based financial services company sought authorization for as much as $86 million in industrial revenue bonds for a renovation of the two towers at 4500 Main St., in addition to other city incentives, including an exemption from its personal property tax, which would have been about $2.2 million.

However, according to the company, the plans were posted by mistake, and American Century no longer is pursing the city incentives.

"It was under consideration, but upon further review we decided not to pursue," company spokesman Chris Doyle said. "Over the next few years, we do plan to make millions of dollars in capital investment in our headquarters and other office buildings along Main Street."

The renovation would have involved the company's self-named headquarters tower, at 4500 Main St., and its space at 4400 Main St., the former headquarters of H&R Block Inc. American Century bought the 4400 Main building in 2006 after Block moved to its new headquarters in Downtown.

The renovations did not appear to affect American Century Tower II, 4520 Main St., where the company uses a few floors and leases the rest.

According to the company, some renovations already have taken place in the past year and will continue.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

I think this may be mentioned on other threads, but I can't seem to find it. I am hearing that a proposed project at 45th and main (old Holiday Inn) is picking up steam. BMcD is doing the architecture, and the owner is Americo, same owner as Waddell & Reed. Design is apparently progressing and it looks to include a 30-story apartment tower.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

jasty5 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:09 pm I think this may be mentioned on other threads, but I can't seem to find it. I am hearing that a proposed project at 45th and main (old Holiday Inn) is picking up steam. BMcD is doing the architecture, and the owner is Americo, same owner as Waddell & Reed. Design is apparently progressing and it looks to include a 30-story apartment tower.
boing. any details on what it will look like or the size of the other buildings?
Last edited by normalthings on Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cityscenekc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cityscenekc »

I've been checking that address on Compass on a weekly basis, nothing has been filed. If anyone has some hard documentation, I'd appreciate them sharing it with me.
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

If I get any renderings I’ll pass along. I wasn’t able to get anything yet...
cityscenekc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cityscenekc »

Thank you!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

jasty5 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:09 pm I think this may be mentioned on other threads, but I can't seem to find it. I am hearing that a proposed project at 45th and main (old Holiday Inn) is picking up steam. BMcD is doing the architecture, and the owner is Americo, same owner as Waddell & Reed. Design is apparently progressing and it looks to include a 30-story apartment tower.
This is exciting. Hopefully the 30-story tower happens. Although I hope the ground level of this is better than Reverb or Waddell and Reed.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Leyben Music officially coming down:Full demo permit approved.

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 01660e9b3a
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Most of it came down yesterday.
kcmiz
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcmiz »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:39 pm
This is exciting. Hopefully the 30-story tower happens. Although I hope the ground level of this is better than Reverb or Waddell and Reed.
Is the Extended Stay hotel next door part of the deal? That land is really underutilized especially so with a streetcar stop coming to 45th & Main.

Agreed this area needs better ground level activation. Between these hotels and the American Century towers, the pedestrian experience is pretty awful at present.

And pretty, pretty please, no more curb cuts on Main St. It will only slow the streetcar route down.