North Plaza Hotel- 46th and Broadway

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: North Plaza Hotel- 46th and Broadway

Post by moderne »

My great grandmother lived in one of those apartment hotels east of Oak in distressed circumstances in the early sixties. I have dim memories of visiting, crossing the viaduct from KCK (horrible stench of death, shit and blood from the slaughterhouses). The building of course did not have AC and even window units then were a bourgeois luxury. The apartments had a regular hall solid hallway door faced with a louvered door that had a gap above and below. The tenants kept the solid door open to get a cross ventilation into their units. I just remember all the funky cooking and other odors. Urban living was not as pleasant as it is today.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

When I moved to KC from New York City, I looked at an apartment at the University Towers (now Manhattan condos) at E. 8th and Holmes. They also had solid doors and a screened door, so that you could leave the solid door open and lock the screened door to the hallway. This was also a ventilation thing to create cross-breezes.

When I lived in NYC, I visited several friends who lived in old walkup tenement buildings. Some were filled with Puerto-Ricans, and other immigrants, who used to leave the doors to their apartments wide open to the hallway. You could walk past and look into their apartments. Many times, an extended family lived on the same floor of the building, and their kids would wander from apartment to apartment (parents, grandparents, cousins). It was a strange arrangement to me, because any stranger entering the building could walk into their apartment. However, the residents didn't seem worried about it.

Like you mentioned, in those situations you would encounter a lot of strange odors coming from the apartments, and often loud-talking, screaming, blaring TVs, and music.

For a few years, I lived in a modern apartment building owned by an adjacent hospital that had a lot of Filipino nurses living in it. There were always a lot of strange cooking smells coming from the apartments.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

moderne wrote:I was not asking about the time period when these buildings were built, I was asking about post WWI. These photos were from the 1940s and many elevator buildings were built in midtown and plaza between WWI and 1940, but not DT.
Probably not built downtown since that area was already built out. The Plaza was definitely virgin territory with mass transit access to downtown, and of course the auto. Midtown maybe wasn't as virgin as the Plaza but that was where much of the money went as the rich left Quality Hill.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

moderne wrote:My great grandmother lived in one of those apartment hotels east of Oak in distressed circumstances in the early sixties. I have dim memories of visiting, crossing the viaduct from KCK (horrible stench of death, shit and blood from the slaughterhouses). The building of course did not have AC and even window units then were a bourgeois luxury. The apartments had a regular hall solid hallway door faced with a louvered door that had a gap above and below. The tenants kept the solid door open to get a cross ventilation into their units. I just remember all the funky cooking and other odors. Urban living was not as pleasant as it is today.
A few midtown apartment buildings still have those.
hgascoigne
Supporter

Post by hgascoigne »

Looks like they came to an agreement: http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... owers.html
UrbanKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by UrbanKC »

Any updates on this project in the past year?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

They have been excavating for a few months now. Looks like they are getting close to finishing that part and will be ready to go vertical soon.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I think that's a different project at about 45th/Broadway. The 46th/Bway still has a long road to approval.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

kboish wrote:They have been excavating for a few months now. Looks like they are getting close to finishing that part and will be ready to go vertical soon.
I think you may be thinking of the office tower site on Pennsylvania. I don't think there is any work going on at this site yet.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
kboish wrote:They have been excavating for a few months now. Looks like they are getting close to finishing that part and will be ready to go vertical soon.
I think you may be thinking of the office tower site on Pennsylvania. I don't think there is any work going on at this site yet.
actually i was waay off. I just saw North-Plaza hotel and I was thinking of 44th and Southwest trafficway/Madison. They are digging out the spot for that little car-centric hotel.

I'm not sure what the status is for the 46th and Broadway hotel.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Does anyone know what is up with this project?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The following item was on the City Council's docket last week:
Reauthorizing the City Manager to enter into a Sales Tax Contribution Agreement with Plaza Hotels, LLC, or an affiliate or designee thereof, in furtherance of a hotel project generally bounded by West 46th Terrace, West 46th Street, Broadway and Wornall Road.
At first glance, that sounds promising and seems like the project may be moving forward.

However, the full text of the ordinance is a little more concerning. It can be found here:
http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... L03A%3d%3d

Here is the interesting part:
WHEREAS, since that time, the property upon which the project was to be situated has been sold by Commerce Bank to La Raza Pizza, Inc., a Texas corporation, and the City needs further assurance of the party to the Sales Tax Contribution Agreement, and the controlling entity to pursue the hotel project and implement such Agreement for the benefit of the City and the trustee for the bonds to be issued in conjunction with such Agreement to enable the enforcement of the obligations against the project site now titled in another entity; and

WHEREAS, Capital Management, Inc., La Raza Pizza, Inc., concurrently with Plaza Hotels, LLC, for themselves, and their successors, have assured the City that they collectively are willing to abide by all other terms and conditions of Committee Substitute for Ordinance No. 170630, including Section 2 (b) thereof, and comply with Sections B and C of the Committee Substitute for Ordinance No. 160359, which approved the preliminary development plan, which Sections were negotiated in good faith by a consortium of interested parties which were to be consulted on the refinement of the final development plan, which consultation has not been meaningfully undertaken in the two years that the preliminary development plan has been in effect; and

WHEREAS, it is a reasonable safeguard to the City’s interest that a quality hotel be constructed in a manner generally consistent with the previously approved preliminary development plan and revisions tentatively proposed to the neighborhood by the current development team, including Capital Management, Inc.
I'm not seeing much info for La Razza Pizza in Texas, except for one closed pizza joint in Amarillo. I'm not sure what to think of this.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

joshmv wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:52 pm Not sure if this angle has been shared yet.

So this is what's going to be built here? I liked the original design better but this is ok. Hope it happens :)
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

My searches for La Raza Pizza keep coming back to Pizza Hut. In particular, Gene Camarena of Wichita. Owner of one of the 150 largest Hispanic owned companies in the country. Marriott hotels are among his business interests.

https://tinyurl.com/y8geyudf
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Yeah, when I didn't see any restaurants with that name, I was thinking/hoping it might just be someone with some pizza money involved in the project.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Yeah I noticed this turn of events as well. It sounds like the project is intending to become 100% hotel instead of having a portion of residential. The nearby condo building showed up to the PZE to oppose the change in plan scope, noting that the entire original project design had changed (a large public plaza overlooking the country club plaza was to be included in this project). Without the local ownership group involved I'm not confident this project will be nearly as nice as the original proposal.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

13 stories/10 stories scaled back to 10 stories/8 stories because a neighbor complains their view will be blocked. This has got to stop. KC planning/zoning/whatever needs to find a new paradigm for plan approval.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Wasn't Hyatt interested in building around 46th/Jefferson a few years ago and the project was deemed to be too dense for the location (and requested too many subsidies)? Would be nice to have a quality Hyatt back in the central core, and with Hyatt House proposed downtown, maybe they would be interested in a project like this.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The neighbors with views had years before to form a corporation, buy the air rights and restrict height. They didn't. The City needs to ignore this "right-to-their-view" crowd in the approval process. I'm assuming some who oppose it are Parkway Tower people. No one stopped their 13-story tower when it was built.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Could not agree more.