Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:04 pm
I am reading in the Star that Tiffany will re-open on the Plaza. They cite new management wanted to re-assess their presence in KCMO.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 00770.html
Re-opening in March.Their website has yet to reflect this.

User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by normalthings »

msmith011 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:31 am
Highlander wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:04 pm
I am reading in the Star that Tiffany will re-open on the Plaza. They cite new management wanted to re-assess their presence in KCMO.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 00770.html

Interestingly, LVMH’s Louis Vuitton has been eyeing the Kansas City market for years (KC is the largest US market that doesn’t have LV). Several years ago, execs apparently visited Oak Park Mall’s Nordstrom to evaluate a store-within-a-store there, but the mall wasn’t “nice enough.”

Even Birmingham Alabama has an LV!

I would agree with their assessment of Oak Park Mall. Even the Nordstrom's there feels very dated. Did they only look at Oak Park Mall?

It looks like most of the mid-sized city LV's are inside other stores in Malls. The Indianapolis version just opened a standalone location within the same mall.

msmith011
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:08 pm
Location: Southeast Minneapolis

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by msmith011 »

normalthings wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:14 pm
msmith011 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:31 am
Highlander wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:04 pm
I am reading in the Star that Tiffany will re-open on the Plaza. They cite new management wanted to re-assess their presence in KCMO.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 00770.html

Interestingly, LVMH’s Louis Vuitton has been eyeing the Kansas City market for years (KC is the largest US market that doesn’t have LV). Several years ago, execs apparently visited Oak Park Mall’s Nordstrom to evaluate a store-within-a-store there, but the mall wasn’t “nice enough.”

Even Birmingham Alabama has an LV!

I would agree with their assessment of Oak Park Mall. Even the Nordstrom's there feels very dated. Did they only look at Oak Park Mall?

It looks like most of the mid-sized city LV's are inside other stores in Malls. The Indianapolis version just opened a standalone location within the same mall.
Yes, the Birmingham LV is inside Saks Fifth Avenue. I seem to recall our former Saks on the Plaza having an LV counter, but I can’t say for sure.

I assume if LV checked out Nordstrom at Oak Park Mall they also looked at the mall itself, the Plaza and maybe even Town Center.

I believe KC can support high-end retail, we’re just disadvantaged because it’s been spread out. Luxury tends to cluster; I think Nordstrom’s eventual move to the Plaza will be a big help in that regard. Anchors matter.

User avatar
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:47 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by LCDSI »

The Tiffany site has been updated to state an early March reopening when you do a search for Kansas City. Good to see that it's coming back.

https://www.tiffany.com/jewelry-stores/

kboish
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2838
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by kboish »

https://www.chiefs.com/news/chiefs-anno ... t-location

Chiefs opening a fitness facility in the Jack Henry building. 2022 opening
32,000 square feet of state-of-the-art fitness and recovery equipment at Chiefs Fit – Plaza. The well-appointed, amenity-filled, multi-level facility will feature a strength area with Chiefs-branded free weights and machines, as well as a full floor of cardio equipment. The facility will also offer cryotherapy treatment, hydromassage machines, Normatec recovery systems, spray-tan booths, a sauna and full-amenity locker rooms. Group fitness classes and personal training services will also be available at the Plaza location, along with a fuel bar and a retail shop with Chiefs Fit-branded apparel.

Chiefs Fit – Plaza will have unique rooftop terrace features on top of the Jack Henry building, with a turf training area and a member lounge area, adding an additional 7,500 square feet of premium space to the facility. The building's parking garage will include dedicated parking for gym members.

User avatar
taxi
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1806
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:32 am
Location: North End
Contact:

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by taxi »

^ this is going to kill the new downtown YMCA. I mean, they're brand new and don't even have a spray-tan booth.

User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9357
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by Highlander »

kboish wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:54 am
https://www.chiefs.com/news/chiefs-anno ... t-location

Chiefs opening a fitness facility in the Jack Henry building. 2022 opening
32,000 square feet of state-of-the-art fitness and recovery equipment at Chiefs Fit – Plaza. The well-appointed, amenity-filled, multi-level facility will feature a strength area with Chiefs-branded free weights and machines, as well as a full floor of cardio equipment. The facility will also offer cryotherapy treatment, hydromassage machines, Normatec recovery systems, spray-tan booths, a sauna and full-amenity locker rooms. Group fitness classes and personal training services will also be available at the Plaza location, along with a fuel bar and a retail shop with Chiefs Fit-branded apparel.

Chiefs Fit – Plaza will have unique rooftop terrace features on top of the Jack Henry building, with a turf training area and a member lounge area, adding an additional 7,500 square feet of premium space to the facility. The building's parking garage will include dedicated parking for gym members.
Is this the same place as the never-launched Punch Bowl Social?

I like to workout and I like the Chiefs but working out in a Chief's themed facility would have no added attraction for me. If there was a boost in price to cover the Chief's brand, I'd probably go elsewhere.

alejandro46
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 503
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:24 pm
Location: King in the North(Land)

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by alejandro46 »

Highlander wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:38 pm
kboish wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:54 am
https://www.chiefs.com/news/chiefs-anno ... t-location

Chiefs opening a fitness facility in the Jack Henry building. 2022 opening
32,000 square feet of state-of-the-art fitness and recovery equipment at Chiefs Fit – Plaza. The well-appointed, amenity-filled, multi-level facility will feature a strength area with Chiefs-branded free weights and machines, as well as a full floor of cardio equipment. The facility will also offer cryotherapy treatment, hydromassage machines, Normatec recovery systems, spray-tan booths, a sauna and full-amenity locker rooms. Group fitness classes and personal training services will also be available at the Plaza location, along with a fuel bar and a retail shop with Chiefs Fit-branded apparel.

Chiefs Fit – Plaza will have unique rooftop terrace features on top of the Jack Henry building, with a turf training area and a member lounge area, adding an additional 7,500 square feet of premium space to the facility. The building's parking garage will include dedicated parking for gym members.
Is this the same place as the never-launched Punch Bowl Social?

I like to workout and I like the Chiefs but working out in a Chief's themed facility would have no added attraction for me. If there was a boost in price to cover the Chief's brand, I'd probably go elsewhere.
They already have one of these in Overland Park. Here is the pricing:

https://www.chiefsfit.com/locations/overland-park/join

Looks similar to what I used to pay for Genesis before I cancelled during COVID and got a Peloton. I would be more concerned if I was a higher end place like OneLife than a YMCA. I was talking to a friend who works in advertising and has a client who is a national gym company, they said one of the biggest drawers for gym members is proximity to their home or workplace. I think it's a good get for the Plaza for sure, big name brand, lots of financial backing, Andy Reid lives nearby so maybe he can cut a few of those cheeseburgers off his waistline.

Post Reply