Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by staubio »

trailerkid wrote:Backwoods is moving to Jo Co (119th, I think)....that's what their ad said in the Pitch Holiday Shopping guide.
Moving or adding a location? I think Backwoods is a local chain of some sorts. They aren't closing the store on Broadway, are they?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by GRID »

staubio wrote:
trailerkid wrote:Backwoods is moving to Jo Co (119th, I think)....that's what their ad said in the Pitch Holiday Shopping guide.
Moving or adding a location? I think Backwoods is a local chain of some sorts. They aren't closing the store on Broadway, are they?
I hope the keep the store on Broadway, I like that place, they carry things that Galyan's doesn't.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

Yes, the Pitch ad said Backwoods was "moving"

and Yes, the Plaza does need to add and retain more pricey stuff like Kate Spade, Saks, and Louis Vitton. Kansas City means more as a shopping destination with these types of stores.
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by TheDude »

although i hate to shop, the plaza needs an H&M store. having been in one in Paris, NYC, Chicago, SF, LA, etc they are always packed and the clothing is fashionable and cheap. this would go over very well in the KC market (what about IKEA????) i am very surprised that there is not one already in KCMO (KCK Speedway perhaps??)

back to Fab5--out
"ALWAYS be closing"
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by chrizow »

here's my wish list of retailers that the plaza should have, and would likely do well:

Kate Spade: sorry, nota, she's our hometown girl and the ladiez love her bags! and if they carry the Jack Spade stuff, you can bet i'll be there!

Diesel: jesus, why hasn't there been one yet?

Vuitton would be nice, and would do well since LV is appreciated by young and old (and some dudes i know)

H&M: not for me, but would be a nice destination store

Urban Outfitters: not sure why they went to lawrence first, but a UO on the plaza would add a different touch.

Aldo: awesome shoes for not TOOOO terribly much $.

Saks: i know it's there, but they need to have the men's stuff...dammit.

Crate & Barrel: i'd heard one was going in? has it? is it?

Virgin Megastore: i know the VMs aren't expanding too much, but it would be nice. better yet, we need a Vintage Vinyl-style (stl store) music store in KC. a city the size of KC should ABSOLUTELY have a great indie music store.

Club Monaco: would definitely go over well in KC. the gelled up XOers would buy it, as would the trendy gay and metro set.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

There is plywood boxing around the old Laura Ashley store, but no coming soon sign. Also, FAO declared bankruptcy which will most likely close the Plaza store. I don't want to see them leave, but it would leave a large space for a new retailer.

The Plaza does have Armani Exchange and some other "young crowd" stores, but it seems like the 30+ stuff is what they have the most of...Chico's, Tommy Bahama, Polo, Harold's, etc. A Louis Vitton boutique would be on fire because it seems like anything with the trademark Vitton print is so popular among rich old dames and youngster brand whores alike .

Also, troubled Eddie Bauer announced they would close 30 stores nation wide...could the huge Plaza store be next on the chopping block?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by GRID »

Sounds like FAO Swartz is going away... :(
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat »

FAO sounds like they could close everything. That's a good space for a high profile retailer.

I'd be happy to see Eddie Bauer close....they have WAAAY to much space on the Plaza. That could be broken into like 3-4 different stores.

Hey, I'm under 30 and have shopped at some of those stores named :)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by paisstat »

The Plaza has been ruined by Highwood, almost everything is corporate. The local atmosphere is almost gone and it is sickening. It is high time to work on north and south Plaza. South Main is a nice little area that has much pottential. It already has some good joints and a post office. There is some awesome housing construction one block east--forget the name. I am very impressed with the new housing construction on Madison? and the redeveloped building on the southbound throuroughfare. There is much infill that needs to take place between the Plaza and Westport Road. That area has much potential, and I think it is poised to take off if the new housing works well.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

Eddie Bauer had a little clout 10+ years ago, but they're done. Their brand and image is worth little now. Keep your fingers crossed the Plaza store will be among the 30 to be closed. With FAO and perhaps Eddie Bauer out, I don't know how Crate and Barrel would not be somewhere in the equation. Big openings on the Plaza only come once in a while. But would that open the space up for the new Bed, Bath and Beyond that everyone has been waiting for?

What I mean by the 30+ comment is that even though the Plaza has some urban trendiness (Betsey Johnson, A/X) it is still dominated by the Chanel-clad trophy wives and their loafer-wearing older husbands. Stuff like Urban Outfitters and other fashion for young people would be more appropriate in the Crossroads when it hits a critical mass of pedestrians and residents.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat »

trailer...I agree.

Highwoods has made some poor decisions but have been doing better lately. Stores like Beauty Brands and Cali Pizza Kitchen are not good pickups....but things like Cole Haan and George Brett's new restaurant are. They've also done some good infrastructure things.

They do need to land some more exclusive retailers, even if they are corporate...because the fact is everything is going corporate now....very rare to find any mom & pop shops....so the plaza needs to make sure they keep themselves exclusive and get the upper retailers.

Bed, Bath, & Beyond was denied by Highwoods and not the right type of retailer...so they are displaying some restraint.

Open spaces are far between in the plaza still....the glaring one is the corner attached to the movie theatres but that was supposed to be taken by the grocery store/restaurant, can't think of the name right now. That space is open now as well as where Meiner's was.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

FAO

Post by FangKC »

It even looks like the FAO Schwarz flagship store in New York City may close as well. That is a shame because that store is such a part of the city that it has iconic status. I used to love to go into that store and wander around--even if I had no intention of buying anything. It is a wonderland. It made me happy just to be there. I think most little kids almost stroke out when they visit that place. It's like being invited to Santa's workshop. :P

I think large retail toy stores like FAO, Toys-R-Us, etc., are on their way out though. Wal-mart is pricing them out of the market, and Wal-mart sells more toys now than any other retailer.
There is no fifth destination.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

The Plaza should try and develop some local boutiques in addition to bringing in the "best in class" chains. They need to go out of their way to solicite the best local entrepreneurs. George Brett Grill is somewhat of a step in the right direction. But they need Kansas City original clothing boutiques, houseware stores, toy stores, and shoes. They have a few, but need more.

The Plaza needs to remain pretty exclusive. I remember a few years ago when PF Changs and Cheescake Factory were restaurants that St. Louis and Minneapolis were waiting to get. When chains get overexposed and every city has them, the Plaza needs to put them on the back burner and look for replacements. Part of what makes a place good is when there aren't any other places like it.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by chrizow »

just saw an article in the st louis post-dispatch that the plaza frontenac has signed louis vuitton and tiffany & co. that's in addition to pretty much every store on our plaza PLUS a neiman marcus.

with their west county mall, plaza frontenac, st. louis mills, etc., it looks like stl is nudging ahead of KC in the shopping dept., an arena in which we KCers pretty much customarily declare supremacy on a regular basis.

the point: the plaza is still great, but maybe they should go for the high profile, headline, destination retailers...

in my opinion, the plaza shouldn't really have ANY competition in the KC area, and it seems like they are trying to compete with Lee's Summit and OP in who can get the next suburban big-box store.

nothing wrong with those stores....they just dont belong in a destination tourist attraction that is pretty much the jewel of the city.
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by UMKCgal »

In my opinion, this is what the Plaza should have to be KC's finest shopping district
Louis Vuitton
French Connection UK
Diesel
Hugo Boss
Prada
Gucci
Neiman Marcus
Giorgio Armani
Chanel
Burberry
Tiffany & Co.
Aldo
United Colors of Benetton

in addition to what they already have...forget Eddie Bauer, throw that store out!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat »

Welcome UMKCgal....great first post. Agreed.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

Frontenac got Tiffany a year ago I think...it's been open a while.

The fact that StL is getting Louis Vitton may be a good sign the Plaza could get one too. I'm not sure how many "luxury" stores KC can support or which ones would even consider KC locations, but I think it helps having them in one spot as opposed to StL's Galleria, Frontenac, and West County. Space is just such an issue on the Plaza...give Eddie Bauer the boot, bankruptcy or not (The 30 stores being closed will be announced on Dec. 30, 18 will close due to natural lease negotiations...where are you when we need you Hearne Christopher or Joyce Smith?).
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

I forgot something!

Post by UMKCgal »

Thanks KC..add a Versace store to that list..it'll be nice to have one here
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Sorry folks but stores like Prada, Hugo Boss, Gucci and probably even Deisel are not coming to KC. The demographics are not there to support those stores. I've talked to several buyers at Halls on the Plaza and they can barely move their small supply of Prada, Gucci and Diesel. The stuff is just too expensive and their is not enough "rich people" here to support exclusive store like those mentioned. Hell, you walk around the Plaza on the weekends and all you see are people wearing their Chiefs or Nebraska starter jackets, do you think these people are going to spend $190 on a pair of Diesel jeans or $200 on a D & G shirt? Probably not, hell I can't even afford that stuff and it really depresses me. :(
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

First off, I don't blame anyone rich or poor for not buying a $1,900 Vera Wang dress or $2,150 Vitton bag...it's plain stupid.

But just because Hall's cannot move the merch. doesn't mean KC won't support that brand. I work as a cashier and I cannot fully estimate how many designer bags and wallets (Prada, Gucci, Vitton, Coach) that I see daily in the possession of women in Lawrence (mostly sorority girls). Department stores are not often the place people prefer to shop. I know personally, that if I absolutely had to buy Tommy Bahama, Hilfiger, or Ralph Lauren, I would first try a namesake boutique and then try Dillard's or Jones. The namesake boutiques often carry different and more unique merchandise and are easier to navigate and find what you need.

A trend happening at many department stores is to create separate namebrand boutiques within the larger store. I know that Oprah was bragging about the Chanel boutique in Bergdorf Goodman and Louis Vitton has a boutique within the downtown Minneapolis Dayton's (Marshall Field's).