Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by DaveKCMO »

Parkway Social Kitchen will not reopen: https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 34611.html
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

Has to be a juju location. Nothing survives around that corner. Oliver, Parkway, Ingrediant and predecessors to all. If I were a merchant I'd want to know about juju locations. No feedback loop in location picking.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Has to be a juju location. Nothing survives around that corner. Oliver, Parkway, Ingrediant and predecessors to all. If I were a merchant I'd want to know about juju locations. No feedback loop in location picking.
ReVerse was successful there (in the Parkway location) for many years; I still miss it. Coal Vines had a reasonable run with a rather generic concept. The few times I went to Parkway were not memorable; too similar to Gram & Dunn and Hogshead, both around the corner. I did love that they renovated and used the basement bar area, however.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Union Bank of Switzerland (UBS) is bidding out tenant fit-out for their new Plaza office. Roughly ~$1,000,000 for 10,000sqft.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Baldwin and Standard Style closing all stores across America. I assume this includes Plaza locations.

https://fashionunited.com/news/retail/b ... 132896/amp
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:24 pm Baldwin and Standard Style closing all stores across America. I assume this includes Plaza locations.

Madewell and J.Crew are also at risk as their parent company declared bankruptcy.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:24 pm Baldwin and Standard Style closing all stores across America. I assume this includes Plaza locations.

Too bad for Baldwin, but they did get a little big for their britches so to speak. When they moved to LA and went that route it got shaky quick. I understand why and sometimes you have to do that. But I also think there are some that can benefit by growing the brand and keeping it local, working within the brand. Nickel & Suede would be a fashion success story KC can point to. Baldwin can maybe get back to having a KC store and groing from there
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:48 pm Too bad for Baldwin, but they did get a little big for their britches so to speak. When they moved to LA and went that route it got shaky quick. I understand why and sometimes you have to do that. But I also think there are some that can benefit by growing the brand and keeping it local, working within the brand. Nickel & Suede would be a fashion success story KC can point to. Baldwin can maybe get back to having a KC store and groing from there
You never really know with sales like that, whether they were releasing control because they got too leveraged financially or if they thought it would bring more profits to them due to economies of scale. Blanc Burger comes to mind.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Blanc burger is great example. On Baldwin, from what I've read over the years it appears that got caught up in branding and wanting to be a Hollywood exclusive type thing. Nothing wrong with any of that, but I think they moved a little to quick and really tried to be a part of something maybe too fast. I'm not sure, but I do hope they can maybe re-org and look to relaunch. They had a good product in a good niche
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Broken store fronts but I don’t think any looting yet
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:16 pm Broken store fronts but I don’t think any looting yet
Sounds like chaos has erupted. Looting has commenced.

11:41 - Scanner says protestors attempting to start fires now
mykn

Post by mykn »

Nothing would have happened if the cops hadn’t been antagonizing the protesters all night. They blocked us from marching by the federal reserve and almost immediately tear gassed us, this kept happening. No one that I saw in the protest was doing anything that deserved that kind of a response.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

mykn wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:59 pm Nothing would have happened if the cops hadn’t been antagonizing the protesters all night. They blocked us from marching by the federal reserve and almost immediately tear gassed us, this kept happening. No one that I saw in the protest was doing anything that deserved that kind of a response.
While I’m wildly supportive of the protesters, and agree with their sentiment entirely, I am staunchly opposed to the destruction of my home city in any manner. What does it solve? How does it better a cause, when all you’re doing is destroying your local area?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:24 am
mykn wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:59 pm Nothing would have happened if the cops hadn’t been antagonizing the protesters all night. They blocked us from marching by the federal reserve and almost immediately tear gassed us, this kept happening. No one that I saw in the protest was doing anything that deserved that kind of a response.
While I’m wildly supportive of the protesters, and agree with their sentiment entirely, I am staunchly opposed to the destruction of my home city in any manner. What does it solve? How does it better a cause, when all you’re doing is destroying your local area?
When protestors start stealing, they are no longer protestors. Many involved on both sides are good people but obviously it just takes a few to change things.

Long term, I worry that violent protests and the recent uptick in shootings will turn many off from living in or moving to the core. At the end of the day, the residents and busines choose to be in KCMO and they can easily move to a far off suburb. This is only going to make the issues they protest worse.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There is a difference between protestors and looters. Looters are taking advantage of a situation where police are distracted. They often appear as bystanders watching the protests. Their intent is steal and cause destruction. Looters put peaceful protestors in danger. Remember that looters also come out during earthquakes and hurricanes. They are opportunists.

I also find it odd that the protesting in being done at the Plaza, and not in front of Police headquarters, and the courthouse. That would be more appropriate if they are protesting policing and the justice system.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:11 am There is a difference between protestors and looters. Looters are taking advantage of a situation where police are distracted. They often appear as bystanders watching the protests. Their intent is steal and cause destruction. Looters put peaceful protestors in danger. Remember that looters also come out during earthquakes and hurricanes. They are opportunists.

I also find it odd that the protesting in being done at the Plaza, and not in front of Police headquarters, and the courthouse. That would be more appropriate if they are protesting policing and the justice system.
Many that I know personally started the day protesting and then turned to looting. Obviously not the case for all.

I too am not sure about the connection to the Plaza. Maybe they think that the police HQ would receive a more forceful response?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:24 am
The problem is the Plaza and North Face etc type stores are not the "home" of those who are being put in the situation that protests are needed to create change.

It sucks but what sucks more is we've gotten to this point. Windows can be replaced.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

FangKC wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:11 am I also find it odd that the protesting in being done at the Plaza, and not in front of Police headquarters, and the courthouse. That would be more appropriate if they are protesting policing and the justice system.
Not that odd given Mill Creek Park has always been the epicenter for protesting about anything. And also not surprising a race-based protest is on Plaza given history of Nichols' race relations (perception or not).

However protest organizers probably should rethink more effective ways to protest online because physical presence apparently easily turns bad fairly quickly, as shown in many cities intending peaceful protests.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

earthling wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:02 am
FangKC wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:11 am I also find it odd that the protesting in being done at the Plaza, and not in front of Police headquarters, and the courthouse. That would be more appropriate if they are protesting policing and the justice system.

However protest organizers probably should rethink more effective ways to protest online because physical presence apparently easily turns bad fairly quickly, as shown in many cities intending peaceful protests.
And at this point, they are no longer garnering sympathy for their cause and playing right into the hands of the committee to re-elect Trump. The unfortunate result will be that while CV19 was hurting his re-election chances, the violence and looting will benefit him far more than it will hurt him.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

What happened last night was scary and unnerving. Sounded like a war zone. Being about five minutes away certainly wasn't helping. Oh national guard is in town. Just so you know ahead of time. Three military equipment transport copters flew right over the Plaza at low altitude in formation this morning.