Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:04 pm I am reading in the Star that Tiffany will re-open on the Plaza. They cite new management wanted to re-assess their presence in KCMO.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 00770.html
Re-opening in March.Their website has yet to reflect this.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

msmith011 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:31 am
Highlander wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:04 pm I am reading in the Star that Tiffany will re-open on the Plaza. They cite new management wanted to re-assess their presence in KCMO.

Interestingly, LVMH’s Louis Vuitton has been eyeing the Kansas City market for years (KC is the largest US market that doesn’t have LV). Several years ago, execs apparently visited Oak Park Mall’s Nordstrom to evaluate a store-within-a-store there, but the mall wasn’t “nice enough.”

Even Birmingham Alabama has an LV!

I would agree with their assessment of Oak Park Mall. Even the Nordstrom's there feels very dated. Did they only look at Oak Park Mall?

It looks like most of the mid-sized city LV's are inside other stores in Malls. The Indianapolis version just opened a standalone location within the same mall.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

normalthings wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:14 pm
msmith011 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:31 am

Interestingly, LVMH’s Louis Vuitton has been eyeing the Kansas City market for years (KC is the largest US market that doesn’t have LV). Several years ago, execs apparently visited Oak Park Mall’s Nordstrom to evaluate a store-within-a-store there, but the mall wasn’t “nice enough.”

Even Birmingham Alabama has an LV!

I would agree with their assessment of Oak Park Mall. Even the Nordstrom's there feels very dated. Did they only look at Oak Park Mall?

It looks like most of the mid-sized city LV's are inside other stores in Malls. The Indianapolis version just opened a standalone location within the same mall.
Yes, the Birmingham LV is inside Saks Fifth Avenue. I seem to recall our former Saks on the Plaza having an LV counter, but I can’t say for sure.

I assume if LV checked out Nordstrom at Oak Park Mall they also looked at the mall itself, the Plaza and maybe even Town Center.

I believe KC can support high-end retail, we’re just disadvantaged because it’s been spread out. Luxury tends to cluster; I think Nordstrom’s eventual move to the Plaza will be a big help in that regard. Anchors matter.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

The Tiffany site has been updated to state an early March reopening when you do a search for Kansas City. Good to see that it's coming back.

https://www.tiffany.com/jewelry-stores/
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

https://www.chiefs.com/news/chiefs-anno ... t-location

Chiefs opening a fitness facility in the Jack Henry building. 2022 opening
32,000 square feet of state-of-the-art fitness and recovery equipment at Chiefs Fit – Plaza. The well-appointed, amenity-filled, multi-level facility will feature a strength area with Chiefs-branded free weights and machines, as well as a full floor of cardio equipment. The facility will also offer cryotherapy treatment, hydromassage machines, Normatec recovery systems, spray-tan booths, a sauna and full-amenity locker rooms. Group fitness classes and personal training services will also be available at the Plaza location, along with a fuel bar and a retail shop with Chiefs Fit-branded apparel.

Chiefs Fit – Plaza will have unique rooftop terrace features on top of the Jack Henry building, with a turf training area and a member lounge area, adding an additional 7,500 square feet of premium space to the facility. The building's parking garage will include dedicated parking for gym members.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

^ this is going to kill the new downtown YMCA. I mean, they're brand new and don't even have a spray-tan booth.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kboish wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:54 am https://www.chiefs.com/news/chiefs-anno ... t-location

32,000 square feet of state-of-the-art fitness and recovery equipment at Chiefs Fit – Plaza. The well-appointed, amenity-filled, multi-level facility will feature a strength area with Chiefs-branded free weights and machines, as well as a full floor of cardio equipment. The facility will also offer cryotherapy treatment, hydromassage machines, Normatec recovery systems, spray-tan booths, a sauna and full-amenity locker rooms. Group fitness classes and personal training services will also be available at the Plaza location, along with a fuel bar and a retail shop with Chiefs Fit-branded apparel.

Chiefs Fit – Plaza will have unique rooftop terrace features on top of the Jack Henry building, with a turf training area and a member lounge area, adding an additional 7,500 square feet of premium space to the facility. The building's parking garage will include dedicated parking for gym members.
Is this the same place as the never-launched Punch Bowl Social?

I like to workout and I like the Chiefs but working out in a Chief's themed facility would have no added attraction for me. If there was a boost in price to cover the Chief's brand, I'd probably go elsewhere.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Highlander wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:38 pm
kboish wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:54 am https://www.chiefs.com/news/chiefs-anno ... t-location

Is this the same place as the never-launched Punch Bowl Social?

I like to workout and I like the Chiefs but working out in a Chief's themed facility would have no added attraction for me. If there was a boost in price to cover the Chief's brand, I'd probably go elsewhere.
They already have one of these in Overland Park. Here is the pricing:

https://www.chiefsfit.com/locations/overland-park/join

Looks similar to what I used to pay for Genesis before I cancelled during COVID and got a Peloton. I would be more concerned if I was a higher end place like OneLife than a YMCA. I was talking to a friend who works in advertising and has a client who is a national gym company, they said one of the biggest drawers for gym members is proximity to their home or workplace. I think it's a good get for the Plaza for sure, big name brand, lots of financial backing, Andy Reid lives nearby so maybe he can cut a few of those cheeseburgers off his waistline.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

More on the Jack Henry Building. Looks like the developers want to include the church on the eastern side of the lot in the development. Unfortunately, not as an incorporation but rather tearing it down and building a yet to be named development. The owner and developer indicated that the church is not on the national historic register and has asbestos issues. Anything large would in that corner block the view of the newly built office immediately north of the church.

https://cityscenekc.com/plaza-jack-henr ... bxpi3Mj7y8
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It guess it depends on how tall the potential building ends up being. I hate to see that church lost though.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

FangKC wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:11 pm It guess it depends on how tall the potential building ends up being. I hate to see that church lost though.

Agreed it’s a beautiful church from the exterior. Hopefully we can have a decently tall building to replace it if that is what the developer chooses to pursue.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Just saw on my FB feed that the Nike Store is closing on the Plaza. That was a short tenure at that location. No reasons given.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/ni ... c3Tf33yTRs
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Highlander wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:35 pm Just saw on my FB feed that the Nike Store is closing on the Plaza. That was a short tenure at that location. No reasons given.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/ni ... c3Tf33yTRs
This is a bummer but it isn't surprising. Lululemon is killing the game when it comes to athleisure and they're in a much better location on the Plaza, especially for the demo that shops there. Plus, Nike has a Factory Store at Legends Outlets and is widely available at tons of other online and brick-and-mortar retailers.

Now, Plaza 211 is more than half empty. With Apple, Tiffany, Tivol and RE: Emporium all nearby, I think the Plaza should go high-end clothing/accessories or upscale home furnishings (CB2, Design Within Reach, etc.).
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I agree that Plaza used to be known for high end retail & boutique type shopping. I recall going to the Polo store during their annual sale to get good deal on things department stores didn’t carry. Plus they used to have a Sacks 5th Ave, Brooks Brothers, Burberry, etc. I hope with Nordstrom going to occupy a large store this will inspire other retail to make it more of a destination instead of “mall” with high end dining. Bring back some high end retail as well
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The plaza used to have a grocery store. It once had something like five gas stations.

https://kchistory.org/islandora/object/ ... 253A117177

What it was depends on when you measure from. It’s been reinvented time and time again.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Goonies wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:59 pm
flyingember wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:44 pm The plaza used to have a grocery store. It once had something like five gas stations.

https://kchistory.org/islandora/object/ ... 253A117177

What it was depends on when you measure from. It’s been reinvented time and time again.
If I had a dollar for anytime a visitor staying in 1 of those hotels in the area asked me what the closest grocery/convenient store and I tell them either of the Quiktrips or the Sun Fresh they sound upset. It's really not that far but I might as well have told them it's in Kansas. I'm not sure if the plaza has enough pride to allow a grocery store. Theres that spot on the West Plaza across from the West Plaza Liquor, it was a massage parlor now it's an office for the construction going on. A small little market there could do well with foot traffic for people staying in hotels. The parking lot however is a disaster.
Whole Foods is right there though. Like a 1 stop bus ride and soon streetcar.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

Goonies wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:13 am
normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:01 am
Goonies wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:59 pm

If I had a dollar for anytime a visitor staying in 1 of those hotels in the area asked me what the closest grocery/convenient store and I tell them either of the Quiktrips or the Sun Fresh they sound upset. It's really not that far but I might as well have told them it's in Kansas. I'm not sure if the plaza has enough pride to allow a grocery store. Theres that spot on the West Plaza across from the West Plaza Liquor, it was a massage parlor now it's an office for the construction going on. A small little market there could do well with foot traffic for people staying in hotels. The parking lot however is a disaster.
Whole Foods is right there though. Like a 1 stop bus ride and soon streetcar.
That place is outrageously overpriced
But when you consider the average demographics of those living in the Plaza area, having a Whole Foods there to serve that market is a no-brainer.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Goonies wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:13 am
normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:01 am Whole Foods is right there though. Like a 1 stop bus ride and soon streetcar.
That place is outrageously overpriced
Here’s a great counterpoint to interest earlier to the Plaza being “high end”

A high end (relatively speaking) store opens and it’s too expensive in the views of some.

Physical retail isn’t going to succeed by focusing on price, it’s now about immediate demand products, last minute purchases and touching the merchandise.

A smart retail setup would make it easy to go in, see the merchandise, order in store if they don’t have your exact item in stock and ship to the store or your home and then offer returns both ways.

The Plaza needs brands that do this model regardless of price tier.

REI is a great example. They’re not an upscale brand. But they sell products people will go in person for. There’s a Moosejaw store on the plaza to show this idea works for the area. An REI in midtown would be a great gain.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Let's be honest - any grocery store opening within the Plaza would likely not have overall pricing lower than Whole Foods or maybe even Sun Fresh. Are there any non-warehouse grocery stores between the river and 75th that aren't either overpriced or more expensive than their suburban locations?

For the Plaza, you've got high rent and low margin so without really high sales volumes, and in the end I think convenience would win out over price.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The Plaza _needs_ a small market and pharmacy closer within the district. Whole Foods is in a completely different area, very far away at a pedestrian scale.

Most every major urbane mixed use high traffic district has at least more than one market/pharmacy. Need to stop turning Plaza into just a mall. It used to cater to residents and hotel visitors as well as shoppers and needs to get back to that if not focus on adding residential within and a bit less generic mall stores.

The timing is right to shift toward broader mixed use. If Plaza can't/won't attract these, perhaps replace the tennis courts with multi-use streetcar center. Entice CVS to move from 50th/Main to this location and add an upscale bodega, some public services, perhaps a KCPD foot patrol unit and tennis courts on the roof and maybe a floor for indoor tennis/racketball/indoor recreation as well. Design building(s) as a streetcar stop gateway into Plaza, with perhaps an arch between buildings as a sort of Plaza entrance.