Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I'm surprised to hear that L & T opened a new store in STL. I know they have recently been closing quite a few of their stores, especially in Florida and Texas. I think I read somewhere around 32 stores have closed this summer....weird huh.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat »

sounds like non-chains might not be dead....a place called the counisour (sp?) is opening on ward parkway that will specialize in wine and personalizing bottles...
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Barney's NY, Men's Warehouse. and Today's Man

Post by FangKC »

I'd like to see a Barney's NY, Men's Warehouse, Today's Man, and Burlington Coat Factory come into the urban core. They would be great additions at the Plaza, or downtown.
There is no fifth destination.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat »

guys, I moved the conversation about what was coming to the legends to "Kansas Suburbs"...seemed like a good topic but off of this topic, hope you don't mind.

Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by Brooksider »

Panera bread opens Friday in the Skelley building on the Plaza.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat »

I have a confession, Panera is like one of the only chains I really enjoy....they've done a great job with the themeing and food in those restaurants.

DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by DiggityDawg »

KC wrote:I have a confession, Panera is like one of the only chains I really enjoy....they've done a great job with the themeing and food in those restaurants.
Daaaaamn, you & I are on the same page today - I looooooove Panera.

I guess the Plaza location will differ a bit from the usual vibe. The colors are different, & people will bring your food to your table, as well as bus it when you leave. It's part of the next "phase" of Panera locations.
KCforumer

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCforumer »

At least the new Panera will be of better character than the suburban restaurants. The Plaza seems to be becoming less and less unique all the time. :?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

The Panera is just a "prototype" store...the new design....the suburbs will start to look like it.
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by Brooksider »

Good news. Bed, Bath & Beyond will NOT locate on the Plaza. Highwoods decided they didn't fit the Plaza's image. I agree. I want a Crate and Barrell.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by dangerboy »

Brooksider wrote:Good news. Bed, Bath & Beyond will NOT locate on the Plaza. Highwoods decided they didn't fit the Plaza's image. I agree. I want a Crate and Barrell.
Crate and Barrel would be a good coup. Does the Plaza still try to include exclusivity agreements in their leases, so that marquee retailers can't locate multiple stores within the metro area? I know they lost lawsuit about this issue over the Barnes and Noble on Barry Road, so I wonder if Highwoods continued this practice after they bought out JC Nichols or gave up?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

I bet VERY FEW retailers would sign an exclusivity agreement except Saks or something highbrow that won't go anywhere else anyway.

Anteks is advertising a going out of business sale in the Star today. Looks like another vacancy...was it forced or natural?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat »

Another specialty women’s clothing retailer is about to sign for the Laura Ashley spot at 308 W. 47th St. on the Country Club Plaza, but will not be identified until the lease is signed. It would be an exclusive lease for this area.

Also, the Elisabeth’s space at 4712 Broadway should have a new tenant in early 2004.

Highwoods Properties, however, has decided that Bed Bath & Beyond was not a good fit and will not lease it the former Sun & Ski Sports space at 500 Nichols Road in Seville on the Plaza. There is a street entrance, but most of the space is in the basement.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by dangerboy »

KC wrote:Highwoods Properties, however, has decided that Bed Bath & Beyond was not a good fit and will not lease it the former Sun & Ski Sports space at 500 Nichols Road in Seville on the Plaza. There is a street entrance, but most of the space is in the basement.
Would love to see an REI there. Yeah it's a chain, but it's a good one. And we need a sporting goods store in the urban core.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

I wonder if that Anteks will become another restaurant. It has restaurants all around it and is in a high traffic location.

That Laura Ashley store should be Louis Vitton. Kick out Abercrombie and put in a DKNY or Diesel next door.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sporting goods

Post by staubio »

dangerboy - We do have a sporting goods store in the core: Backwoods on Broadway. Sure, it isn't as big as some stores, but they can get pretty much anything for you.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

Backwoods is moving to Jo Co (119th, I think)....that's what their ad said in the Pitch Holiday Shopping guide.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat »

Sounds like Kate Spade might be close to opening a store in the Plaza

nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by nota »

KC wrote:Sounds like Kate Spade might be close to opening a store in the Plaza
Whoop de do!!!

Will anyone who frequents this forum frequent that store and actually be able BUY anything there?

JC Penney Shopper-
nota
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat »

I think you'd be surprised.

Anyways, the Plaza is not about JC Penney and Target...that's why it has survived as an outdoor shopping center for so long.