Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
smh
Supporter

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by smh »

Main Event
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Other retailers at risk of bankruptcy within a year or so according to this study...
https://www.retaildive.com/news/these-2 ... ar/563997/
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

smh wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:32 amMain Event
Would be perfect. Lol
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

We have a winner!

A permit came across today for a Change of Occupancy at the Jack Henry Building. The new tenant is Punch Bowl Social.

KCDowntown

TrolliKC wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:15 pm Here are my four guesses, probably in reverse order of preference:

1) Punch Bowl Social https://www.punchbowlsocial.com/
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCDowntown wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:34 pm We have a winner!

A permit came across today for a Change of Occupancy at the Jack Henry Building. The new tenant is Punch Bowl Social.

KCDowntown

TrolliKC wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:15 pm Here are my four guesses, probably in reverse order of preference:

1) Punch Bowl Social https://www.punchbowlsocial.com/
The website is horrible. It even manages to connect itself to words on a truck stop bathroom in the 1980s near the bottom.

The site title is the only place they say what the place actually is.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i know nothing about that place but it looks like they have locations in about 15 other cities. looks like they are opening one next year in midtown STL as well, next to IKEA in the new development with Alamo Drafthouse.

this seems like a pretty good tenant for the Plaza, right? actually seems like something i would have expected to see downtown or westport vs. plaza, but at this point the plaza needs all the help it can get.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah at this point Plaza needs a broader range beyond mall retailers/restaurants and this kind is slightly off base if not questionably doable. And technically it's "off Plaza". Better fit for Westport or downtown but Plaza needs something different. Broader nightlife like small urban blues/jazz clubs are needed too.

At least it's not a Landry's concept, which I was expecting as the building owner has several of those elsewhere.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Which Landry's do you want?
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

mgsports wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:02 pm Which Landry's do you want?
None, but if I had to take one it'd be this with the tower

https://www.toweroftheamericas.com/
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Punch Bowl Social is better suited for the P&L crowd but at this stage I’ll take just about anything on the Plaza. I’ve essentially given up on the Plaza ever returning to a premier shopping destination and simply looking for ways for it not to be entirely boarded up.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

MidtownCat wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:36 am Punch Bowl Social is better suited for the P&L crowd but at this stage I’ll take just about anything on the Plaza. I’ve essentially given up on the Plaza ever returning to a premier shopping destination and simply looking for ways for it not to be entirely boarded up.
The Plaza was so upscale it had a McDonalds for decades. You're looking for something it never was and complaining it's becoming something it's always been.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

The Plaza was so upscale it had a McDonalds for decades. You're looking for something it never was and complaining it's becoming something it's always been.
I don't know that this is fair. The plaza certainly was (is?) a "premier shopping destination". Certainly before the big retail boom out south it was the region's primary upscale shopping center, and into the recent past (80s-00s) it was still the only place to find Gucci, Saks, Burberry, etc. KC metro doesn't even have these stores any more, or really any of the top tier luxe brands (to the best of my admittedly limited knowledge). When Restoration Hardware built a new flagship they did it south.

Even as retail has changed dramatically, which may be the bigger issue, it does seem like with the exception of Nordstrom, Plaza is now closer to par with other regional shopping centers rather than offering a handful of tenants that are a cut above.

We shall see how it continues to evolve. I think Nordstrom and Punch Bowl are solid choices. Made in KC Market is awesome. Would love to see a flagship AMC theater.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

rxlexi wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:58 am
I don't know that this is fair. The plaza certainly was (is?) a "premier shopping destination". Certainly before the big retail boom out south it was the region's primary upscale shopping center, and into the recent past (80s-00s) it was still the only place to find Gucci, Saks, Burberry, etc. KC metro doesn't even have these stores any more, or really any of the top tier luxe brands (to the best of my admittedly limited knowledge). When Restoration Hardware built a new flagship they did it south.

Even as retail has changed dramatically, which may be the bigger issue, it does seem like with the exception of Nordstrom, Plaza is now closer to par with other regional shopping centers rather than offering a handful of tenants that are a cut above.

We shall see how it continues to evolve. I think Nordstrom and Punch Bowl are solid choices. Made in KC Market is awesome. Would love to see a flagship AMC theater.
That just made your point less valid.

Saks was open 1982-2005
Burberry replaced Saks in the same place ~2005-2018
Restoration Hardware was open 1999-2017?
Gucci is still open

So three of your stores managed to be open outside your range, one is still open and two closed within the past two years.

You're saying the sky was falling over a single year of history at the shopping center. You're making claims without having any evidence to back up your claims.

I don't know luxury brands but I sure do know strip mall brands, and they make up a tiny minority of businesses on the Plaza
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jbean3535 »

flyingember wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:47 pm Restoration Hardware was open 1999-2017?
Gucci is still open
Gucci isn't open anymore and Restoration Hardware closed in August 2016.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

jbean3535 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:03 pm
flyingember wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:47 pm Restoration Hardware was open 1999-2017?
Gucci is still open
Gucci isn't open anymore and Restoration Hardware closed in August 2016.
What happened to them relocating to the Halls building? They announced it and then BAM, Leawood. Town Center Plaza is a hot mess right now too. It’s not being kept up by the new owners. Lots of vacancies despite the new Shake Shack and Restoration Hardware and the fountain has been broken for like seven years. The theater there is also bad. I go to prairie fire or Ward Parkway.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Nordstrom progress:

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I was surprised to see curtains and other furnishings among the rubble when I drove by the other day. I would've thought they would repurpose more of that kind of thing, but maybe everything was in pretty bad shape.
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jbean3535 »

Forever 21 is on their way out. Confirmed that Plaza, Summit Fair, and Legends locations are closing.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

jbean3535 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:02 pm Forever 21 is on their way out. Confirmed that Plaza, Summit Fair, and Legends locations are closing.
that would be a good location for a zara. it'll be interesting to see how Taubman utilizes that big spot.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Punch bowl social did inquire about a PNL location but it was thought to be a direct compete against no other pub.

It’s a cool concept though. I have been to a few in other cities.