Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCMax »

Madewell coming to the Country Club Plaza
The retailer is taking a 3,313-square-foot space at 309 Nichols Road on the Country Club Plaza for an August opening. Ann Taylor formerly occupied the space.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

KCMax wrote:Madewell coming to the Country Club Plaza
The retailer is taking a 3,313-square-foot space at 309 Nichols Road on the Country Club Plaza for an August opening. Ann Taylor formerly occupied the space.
I feel like it was only a matter of time before Madewell moved in. Good move for Highwoods and Madewell.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Unofficial announcement: Kendra Scott is moving in to 414 Nichols Rd. I noticed it on the Kendra Scott website but couldn't find any news about it.

https://www.kendrascott.com/stores/

You'll have to scroll down a little to see the store listing.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Found many new images on Slaggie's website regarding the Plaza 211 project.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited to try out 'Fine Dining' - must be delicious.

KCDowntown
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Would have been nice to see retail space and a widened sidewalk/road diet added to the south side of Plaza 211.

Also, hate the fake balcony on the northwest corner, but happy they're adding a "real" balcony to the restaurant on northeast corner. I do like that they're keeping many of the moorish arches, and adding some interesting mosaic elements.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I still don't understand the removal of the arches on the main facade to be replaced with large glass windows. WHY!!?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I predict the Apple Store moves to that location. I recall a rumor from a few years ago that they wanted a larger, more flagship space.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote:I predict the Apple Store moves to that location. I recall a rumor from a few years ago that they wanted a larger, more flagship space.
I asked one of the senior guys there a few years back and they told me they were interested in a bigger space.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

I've also heard Apple wants a bigger space. The rendering sure looks like an Apple storefront.

If not Apple, then another huge global brand, in my opinion. The rendering shows an opportunity to have a big logo/signage take up a lot of space on the facade... pricey and highly coveted for retailers.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

Another fountain!!!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

msmith011 wrote:I've also heard Apple wants a bigger space. The rendering sure looks like an Apple storefront.

If not Apple, then another huge global brand, in my opinion. The rendering shows an opportunity to have a big logo/signage take up a lot of space on the facade... pricey and highly coveted for retailers.
As busy (and smelly) as the Plaza store is, am surprised they haven't added a downtown store, which has easy freeway access to every corner of metro and P&L/CC offer free parking with validation.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

Though I'm an Android guy (Can't wait to get the LG G4), it would be great to have an Apple Flagship downtown in P&L. That corner across from the Sprint Center would be a nice spot!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

BOUTIQUE
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

geeman68 wrote:Though I'm an Android guy (Can't wait to get the LG G4), it would be great to have an Apple Flagship downtown in P&L. That corner across from the Sprint Center would be a nice spot!
Believe it or not, it's actually possible to be an Android guy and a Mac guy.

And yeah, bring on a giant downtown Apple store.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Apple likes historic old buildings and maintains the historical integrity. We want them in the first two floors of the P&L tower.

Then the Plaza store can grow slightly in size, not needing to wait on a large space to come free. Buying out the space next to them becomes an option and simple expanding.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Warby Parker is opening this summer in part of the former Ann Taylor space: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 27029.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The three Icon on the Plaza apartment towers, at 4621 Jefferson St., have been purchased by Village Green. a real estate management company headquartered in Farmington Hills, MI. The 214 units will be renovated as luxury apartments.

http://tinyurl.com/mawnhmg

http://www.villagegreen.com/kansas-city ... the-plaza/

The buildings:

http://tinyurl.com/msdp9zr

The site (aerial view):

http://tinyurl.com/llzwbep
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I was looking at the old Halls building this weekend. I actually really like what they are doing, the panels look great! Of course I still hate the fact that they removed the ornate entrances. I will never understand that. They would look great with the re-do and really make the building look nice. Maybe they will surprise us and reinstall them!

They have the south side of Nichols Rd closed. With the median there, i was imagining the closed road being permanently closed and becoming a larger garden. That would be amazing. Road diet! That would become a great place for restaurant patios or just admiring some landscaping.

I think it's time to take over the Plaza. Look out Highwoods!
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

This is a Plaza move out, Morton's grill is closed as of this morning. Too bad. It's a great location but huge corporations just can't do restaurants very well. It was so much better when McComicks & Schmicks were the owners before selling out to Landrys.