Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCMax »

Not really the Plaza, north of there, but Tea House & Coffeepot on Jefferson has closed.

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... has-closed
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Holiday update: I think Brookstone is returning to the former Brooks Brothers space for a seasonal store again. I saw boxes and products through the window when I was passing by recently.

I'm surprised Highwoods hasn't leased that space out to a new tenant since last season. Maybe their focus is on directing new tenants to Plaza 211? I hope they start announcing a few of those tenants in the next month or so - I've heard that's the plan.
kcpenny
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kcpenny »

Wasn't quite sure where to put this topic but I was curious. I was born and raised here and never quite thought much about it, but my wife is from New Orleans and asked me why do we say "on the Plaza". For instance, in conversation we'll say, "Lets go walk on the Plaza" or "Have you been to the new seafood restaurant on the Plaza?". Curious because they don't say "on the French Quarter" and now its really sticking out to me when I hear locals say it.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

kcpenny wrote:Wasn't quite sure where to put this topic but I was curious. I was born and raised here and never quite thought much about it, but my wife is from New Orleans and asked me why do we say "on the Plaza". For instance, in conversation we'll say, "Lets go walk on the Plaza" or "Have you been to the new seafood restaurant on the Plaza?". Curious because they don't say "on the French Quarter" and now its really sticking out to me when I hear locals say it.
That's interesting, I'm not sure. I say "on the Plaza" all the time. When something is in Westport, I say "in Westport". If it's downtown, I just say "it's downtown". Interesting vernacular for sure. For downtown, it seems natural. I'm already qualifying it with the word "down" so it doesn't need an "in" or "on".
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

We use "on" as a preposition to show a location or direction.

That shows how poor our understanding of English grammar is, and I had to look it up too.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

kcpenny wrote:Wasn't quite sure where to put this topic but I was curious. I was born and raised here and never quite thought much about it, but my wife is from New Orleans and asked me why do we say "on the Plaza". For instance, in conversation we'll say, "Lets go walk on the Plaza" or "Have you been to the new seafood restaurant on the Plaza?". Curious because they don't say "on the French Quarter" and now its really sticking out to me when I hear locals say it.
Good catch. What an awesomely coloquial construction. Hope it stays that way.
kcpenny
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kcpenny »

Very cool to hear other locals viewpoint. I was beginning to dissect my vocabulary and thought how odd jt must sound to visitors to hear that. I've never heard another destination referred to as "on". At least not off the top of my head.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Wouldn't outdoor locations be 'on' instead of 'in'? You wouldn't say, "in my back porch" or "I broke down in the highway." But, it could just be KC-speak.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

beautyfromashes wrote:Wouldn't outdoor locations be 'on' instead of 'in'? You wouldn't say, "in my back porch" or "I broke down in the highway." But, it could just be KC-speak.
I thought that too, but that doesn't make sense for why I say "in Westport" (unless I'm the only one?)
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

pash wrote:In English (and likewise in many other languages) we sometimes use "on" to indicate location in open spaces instead of the more common "in" that we use with enclosed spaces or to indicate location in some vague general sense.

It's a bit archaic, and modern usage is pretty inconsistent, but I imagine that's why we say "on the Plaza":"plaza" means "square" in Spanish, and a square is one of the commonest places with which you use the open-space preposition in languages that have them: "sur la place" in French, "на площади" in Russian, etc.
According to my wife, an east coast native, people around KC also tend to say that they're "waiting on line". As in, "I went to the ALCS and waited on line for beer for about 20 minutes." I'd never noticed it until she pointed it out.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Your wife sounds intense! :)
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"I went to the ALCS and waited on line
Funny. I have always used 'in', even others I know in the ticket or concession businesses.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

here are some additional sketches of the plaza 211 redevelopment. in general the designs aren't bad. I'm a little disappointed they are converting the 2nd floor back into parking though.

kind of surprised no tenants have been announced for this yet.

http://www.slaggie.com/#!on-the-boards/c16lg
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

beautyfromashes wrote:Wouldn't outdoor locations be 'on' instead of 'in'? You wouldn't say, "in my back porch" or "I broke down in the highway." But, it could just be KC-speak.
No.

"I'm in Montana/Portland/Brookside today"
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

here are some additional sketches of the plaza 211 redevelopment. in general the designs aren't bad. I'm a little disappointed they are converting the 2nd floor back into parking though.

Thanks for the link to the additional renderings. That large space in the middle with the plate glass looks suspiciously like an Apple store.

I also really like the idea of placing a large fountain on the Ward Parkway side, as it needs some further activity and it doesn't look like they plan to build out any retail on the first floor, south side.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

rxlexi wrote:

That large space in the middle with the plate glass looks suspiciously like an Apple store.
Excellent observation! It would make sense too, the current Apple store is small, and often quite crowded.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I've imagined an apple store in the middle area with the Moorish arches and and apple sign under the middle arch since i heard about halls closing.

Speaking of those Moorish arches, it appears they will be removed from the two outer doorways (if not all of them.) WHY!!? Those are pretty much the only attractive features of the building. Big mistake!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Agree. Highwoods is taking a mid century modern moorish jewel box and transforming it into 135th & Nall schlock.