Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by flyingember »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
Highlander wrote:
aknowledgeableperson wrote:Just look at the income levels of the surrounding neighborhoods.
Doesn't get much higher income than the area south of the Plaza.
It does in quantity, I believe, as well as amount of income.
If you look at an income map southern JoCo wins as a block.

bet south plaza and Mission Hills is #1 for income density though
Last edited by flyingember on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Yeah, South Plaza and Mission Hills have higher peaks, but south JoCo is a much larger plateau.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

My special Kaplan's memory: In the '70's Kaplans was at the current Wms-Sonomoa site on the NW corner of Ward Pkwy and Broadway. I had a friend who lived in the apartments where Townsend Place now stands. One stormy night in September 1977 he called me and screamed "The Plaza is flooding, Kaplans windows are busted and bolts of fabric are floating out." The next morning after surveying the flood damage I stopped at his place and all the walls were draped in expensive tapestry fabrics.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

That is a great story!
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Halls will officially close on Sunday, Aug. 3, according to this article published in the Kansas City Star:

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/17/48 ... tions.html

A rep from Highwoods said this:

“We are working on some opportunities for Halls' replacement that we think Kansas Citians will be pleased with. We have heard the rumors about a large discount retailer moving into Halls, and I can tell you that category is not in consideration for taking over that space. At this time, I cannot comment any further....”

Neiman Marcus or Nordstrom would be ideal, in my opinion. I'm really hoping it doesn't get split into multiple retailers.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I would love it if Zara would go into that Spot, i think Zara is ready to Expand in the United States and KC would be a great Middle Tier type city to test
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I would love it if Zara would go into that Spot, i think Zara is ready to Expand in the United States and KC would be a great Middle Tier type city to test
+1
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Has anyone else noticed the horrible new facade on Country Club Bank's new HQ (formerly One Ward Parkway)?

I was happy to see them move across Brush Creek into a much larger new space and breath life into an older building, but ugh the faux neo-classical (?) columns surrounding the glass entry way facing north just look terrible to my eye. Can't believe an institution like CCB would use such a cheap effect in such a prominent location.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

rxlexi wrote:Has anyone else noticed the horrible new facade on Country Club Bank's new HQ (formerly One Ward Parkway)?

I was happy to see them move across Brush Creek into a much larger new space and breath life into an older building, but ugh the faux neo-classical (?) columns surrounding the glass entry way facing north just look terrible to my eye. Can't believe an institution like CCB would use such a cheap effect in such a prominent location.
Yep. Looks ridiculous. It wasn't a great building to begin with. I didn't know CBB was moving in there. From the design I assumed that it was going to be the new headquarters of Jared the Galleria of Jewelry.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

It's interesting that they said they hope to return to KC in the future. I hope they do!
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

msmith011 wrote:
It's interesting that they said they hope to return to KC in the future. I hope they do!
South OP if they do.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/03/13/48 ... yster.html

Jax Fish House, a Colorado-based seafood restaurant, coming to Plaza Vista
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Just received confirmation from a Halls employee that the space will be divided into separate spaces. I guess we will have to wait for an official announcement later in the year. If it is definitely true then I'd expect it to be luxury retail with office space above.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I could see Apple moving there and using a 2 story space
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/03/14/48 ... iance.html

Roth Living is opening a high-end appliance showroom in the Skelly building at 601 W 47th St.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

West Elm coming to the former Pottery Barn space!

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/04/08/49 ... nt_refhome

Can't wait to see this store succeed where the 119th location failed. Should be a much more West Elm-centric clientele near the Plaza. Bravo.

Also, FWIW, when they announced Pottery Barn was closing I wrote a letter to West Elm/Williams-Sonoma suggesting the location as one appropriate for their brand. I will take all the credit for this. :P
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

it's where that brand should have located from the beginning. i take full credit for that assessment the day they announced the "one nineteen" store.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

smh wrote:West Elm coming to the former Pottery Barn space!

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/04/08/49 ... nt_refhome

Can't wait to see this store succeed where the 119th location failed. Should be a much more West Elm-centric clientele near the Plaza. Bravo.

Also, FWIW, when they announced Pottery Barn was closing I wrote a letter to West Elm/Williams-Sonoma suggesting the location as one appropriate for their brand. I will take all the credit for this. :P
So glad West Elm is returning to the market! Should've been at the Plaza to begin with, in my opinion. Side note.. I'm surprised the Plaza hasn't announced more new stores at this point. A few empty store fronts still remain. Highwoods: what's the hold up?