Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by flyingember »

the plaza has the single most popular urban culture spot in the region, Mill Creek Park.

there's nowhere else in the city where you'll see more variety of activity in one place. Simultaneously I saw painters, family photography, exercise, kids playing, a photography class and protests along with the people passing through.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

flyingember wrote:the plaza has the single most popular urban culture spot in the region, Mill Creek Park.

there's nowhere else in the city where you'll see more variety of activity in one place. Simultaneously I saw painters, family photography, exercise, kids playing, a photography class and protests along with the people passing through.

You surely meant to include the lovers.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KC Board of Trade sold to CME group, there is a good chance they end up leaving for Chicago
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

brewcrew1000 wrote:KC Board of Trade sold to CME group, there is a good chance they end up leaving for Chicago
I am confused. How does a board of trade move to another city? Chicago already has a board of trade.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I didn't even realize there was retail in the Skelly building. Panera Bread is there but there's not much additional ground level room for retail.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Highlander wrote:
I didn't even realize there was retail in the Skelly building. Panera Bread is there but there's not much additional ground level room for retail.
There are drawings (somewhere on the Block & Co. website) that show their intent for the Skelly Building's future. They are basically reconstructing if you will, the first floor of the building into a series of retail and restaurant spaces (see, the new Boling's). I think it's a great idea will bring a little more life to that side of the block.

EDIT: Both the PDFs on this link show some drawings that you might find useful: http://www.blockandco.com/kc/listings/display=109
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

If a flash mob of the stealing kind were to happen, i would except this place to get hit up first
innbloom
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by innbloom »

Highlander wrote:

two things:

1- I also didn't realize there was retail here.
2- Everytime I walk by this building, water falls on me. From somewhere. I don't know.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

Will there be a line outside the Foot Locker just like there was at the Just For Feet at Bannister Mall?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

pstokely wrote:Will there be a line outside the Foot Locker just like there was at the Just For Feet at Bannister Mall?
I wonder if House of Hoops does shoe releases. Whenever a big shoe comes out, people usually line up to be the first to get it just like the iPhone at the Apple Store.

I think it's good to have shops like this on the Plaza. The city's primary retail district does not need to be 100% lily white. There's a reason Block & Co signed them and not Highwoods. Just saying....
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

trailerkid wrote:
The city's primary retail district does not need to be 100% lily white. There's a reason Block & Co signed them and not Highwoods. Just saying....
Excellent point. Highwoods is f'n racist.

:roll:
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

Well, it didn't take Seasons 52 long to go back to something close to their original entrance design...they're remodeling and built this blocky extension off the front as their new "patio". Damn the Spanish look again! They've put in modern windows and now can't help themselves with more modern crap out front. They took down the large gas lamp in the middle. And it looks like they're spraying the whole exterior dark brown?!? Looks like hell already...didn't their CEO write a mea culpa on facebook saying "we heard you KC"? This was an iconic corner of the Plaza and now it's slipping into looking like an olive garden.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Downtowner wrote:Well, it didn't take Seasons 52 long to go back to something close to their original entrance design...they're remodeling and built this blocky extension off the front as their new "patio". Damn the Spanish look again! They've put in modern windows and now can't help themselves with more modern crap out front. They took down the large gas lamp in the middle. And it looks like they're spraying the whole exterior dark brown?!? Looks like hell already...didn't their CEO write a mea culpa on facebook saying "we heard you KC"? This was an iconic corner of the Plaza and now it's slipping into looking like an olive garden.
That is crap... Here is a copy of the statement issued by the Seasons 52 president in August 2011...

"Seasons 52 is a company that believes in listening to our guests and always doing the right thing. We realized we could do more to live up to those principles as we build our restaurant in Kansas City.
We appreciate and understand the passion and genuine concern many people expressed about the Plaza’s heritage and signature architecture. We listened carefully to those concerns and after consulting with Highwoods Properties we wanted to respond as quickly as we could.
So, we are very pleased to announce that we are restoring the architectural look of the northeast corner to its original condition.
We remain very excited to bring Seasons 52 to Kansas City and Country Club Plaza, and look forward to providing Kansas Citians with a fresh, seasonally inspired dining experience in a casually sophisticated atmosphere that truly reflects the Plaza’s architectural heritage.
We will publicly share a rendering of the revised design very soon."
The restaurant chain is being built in place of Eddie Bauer at the corner of Ward Parkway and Broadway.
Seasons 52 is set to open in spring 2012."

Doesn't look like he was able to keep his word.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

smh wrote:
Highlander wrote:
There are drawings (somewhere on the Block & Co. website) that show their intent for the Skelly Building's future. They are basically reconstructing if you will, the first floor of the building into a series of retail and restaurant spaces (see, the new Boling's). I think it's a great idea will bring a little more life to that side of the block.

EDIT: Both the PDFs on this link show some drawings that you might find useful: http://www.blockandco.com/kc/listings/display=109
Thanks for that. It's a really nice building and it is also good to see retail move westward down 47th street which is starting to be like KC's modest version of Oxford Street, particularly at Christmastime.

I wonder when Skelly closed up shop on the Plaza. KC actually had quite an energy industry presence at one time.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

mgh7676 wrote:
Downtowner wrote:Well, it didn't take Seasons 52 long to go back to something close to their original entrance design...they're remodeling and built this blocky extension off the front as their new "patio". Damn the Spanish look again! They've put in modern windows and now can't help themselves with more modern crap out front. They took down the large gas lamp in the middle. And it looks like they're spraying the whole exterior dark brown?!? Looks like hell already...didn't their CEO write a mea culpa on facebook saying "we heard you KC"? This was an iconic corner of the Plaza and now it's slipping into looking like an olive garden.
That is crap... Here is a copy of the statement issued by the Seasons 52 president in August 2011...

"Seasons 52 is a company that believes in listening to our guests and always doing the right thing. We realized we could do more to live up to those principles as we build our restaurant in Kansas City.
We appreciate and understand the passion and genuine concern many people expressed about the Plaza’s heritage and signature architecture. We listened carefully to those concerns and after consulting with Highwoods Properties we wanted to respond as quickly as we could.
So, we are very pleased to announce that we are restoring the architectural look of the northeast corner to its original condition.
We remain very excited to bring Seasons 52 to Kansas City and Country Club Plaza, and look forward to providing Kansas Citians with a fresh, seasonally inspired dining experience in a casually sophisticated atmosphere that truly reflects the Plaza’s architectural heritage.
We will publicly share a rendering of the revised design very soon."
The restaurant chain is being built in place of Eddie Bauer at the corner of Ward Parkway and Broadway.
Seasons 52 is set to open in spring 2012."

Doesn't look like he was able to keep his word.

That's too bad. I actually patronized this place several times because I liked it that they responded to the wishes of the community. Highwoods remains a very poor steward of the Plaza.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

Agreed. I think the big problem is Glenn Stevenson that is in charge of Highwoods here. I got emails from him on the original fight over this building and he seemed miffed that this was an issue. He reminds me of my JOCO guy friends that wouldn't know good architecture if it hit them in the face. They go to New Orleans and don't get how cool the French Quarter is. They wouldn't bother to go look and see how cool the new PAC is. Saving Union Station was a waste of money to them. They don't understand why anything should be preserved. It's a whole different mind set. (which is on the same side of the brain that votes republican, lol)
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Downtowner wrote:Agreed. I think the big problem is Glenn Stevenson that is in charge of Highwoods here. I got emails from him on the original fight over this building and he seemed miffed that this was an issue. He reminds me of my JOCO guy friends that wouldn't know good architecture if it hit them in the face. They go to New Orleans and don't get how cool the French Quarter is. They wouldn't bother to go look and see how cool the new PAC is. Saving Union Station was a waste of money to them. They don't understand why anything should be preserved. It's a whole different mind set. (which is on the same side of the brain that votes republican, lol)
An important and well stated observation.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

flash mob on saturday night? bf spotted cops chasing a crowd of kids towards and through mill creek park in their cars...