Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by dangerboy »

trailerkid wrote: educate yourself and other citizens about voting for a competent mayor instead worrying about "outsiders" like myself.
Kinda like how you are going to get Governor Brownback?
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Heard that Reverse will be shutting down when their lease is up.  Also heard they may do something in conjunction with the new La Bodega out south (same owners).
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Heard that Reverse will be shutting down when their lease is up.  Also heard they may do something in conjunction with the new La Bodega out south (same owners).
  depressing.  And hear I thought we had turned the corner with our hip new urban core.  Why not a new concept in Westport or Xroads?
are we spinning free?
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

So I wonder if Highwoods has something up their sleeve if they are booting Granfalloon and Reverse?  That will open up a pretty significant chunk of space.
dublin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dublin »

KCLofts wrote: So I wonder if Highwoods has something up their sleeve if they are booting Granfalloon and Reverse?  That will open up a pretty significant chunk of space.
A juvenile detention facility?
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

dublin wrote: A juvenile detention facility?
:lol:
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

dublin wrote: A juvenile detention facility?
:D

They better have something up their sleeve, or the Plaza is done. 
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

jdubwaldo wrote: :D

They better have something up their sleeve, or the Plaza is done. 
Well, I don't know about THAT...
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I don't think the effects will last - as long as the PR folks keep the emphasis on the teen/facebook/twitter aspect of this I don't think it will have any long term impact on the plaza reputation.  Until facebook/twitter get this shit under control, it will stay a national news story and folks will stay far more focused on the safety of their kids online than they are on the saftey of any particular neighborhood.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The idea that the Plaza will wither and die if this isn't immediately rectified is probably the most ignorant bit of hyperbolic arm-waving to come along since I can remember.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

There were issues with teens in late 80s, then mid-90s until the movie theater added restrictions. Some screamed the sky is falling and Plaza will die.   Plaza didn't die, it grew.

These things go in cycles.
NorthlandGuy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthlandGuy »

I read on the Star's website that Banana Republic is moving to the old Z Gallerie spot. Anyone know why they're moving? I think their current location is great!
Is something going on at the Gap? I walked by today, and I think I saw a temp. wall built at the front doors.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

NorthlandGuy wrote: I read on the Star's website that Banana Republic is moving to the old Z Gallerie spot. Anyone know why they're moving? I think their current location is great!
Is something going on at the Gap? I walked by today, and I think I saw a temp. wall built at the front doors.
Joyce Smith was unclear if the BR move was permanent or temporary. I can't imagine Gap/BR can justify stores that huge in 2010. I don't think Gap/BR have stores that big in the Chicago River North/Mich Ave area much less a floundering upscale shopping center in Kansas City.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

kind of weird that banana republic would move out of their spot.

i'm not sure what highwoods is planning.  unfortunately if you look at their website they're predominantly focused on office rentals so do not know much about the retail environment. 

i hope they start doing something soon or else the plaza will lose it's competitive edge.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Maybe Gap will move into the old Banana, then the old Gap will become an H+M.  It kinda looks like one already.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Midtownkid wrote: Maybe Gap will move into the old Banana, then the old Gap will become an H+M.  It kinda looks like one already.
I don't think H&M would want a three-level store. Seems like H&M would already be here if they wanted to be. I'm also guessing they would be looking to have multiple stores in the market. The 47th Street area would be the most plausible place for H&M. Maybe Gap is going to open an Old Navy.  

B&N is what needs to be moved elsewhere to new store. I like the atrium-style, but that place is a clusterfuck.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

The bum bathrooms are perfectly situated.  :D
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

Love the B&N layout, it's one of my favorites of that type of store.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

what a complete clusterfuck.