Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Where are you supposed to go in KC to get outfitted for your fox hunt these days?  
never been there, but is diebel's sort of like this?  it seems like it should be.   (edit:  just checked out the website - nope)

j. crew has waged quite a comeback by latching on to the "vintage workwear" style.  not quite adequate for a walkabout, but you can look pretty slick chopping wood with your limited-edition, hand-distressed $460 redwing workboots and $98 canvas workshirt or red and black lumberjack plaid shirt.  (i actually support this trend).
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: never been there, but is diebel's sort of like this?  it seems like it should be. 
They will get you hooked up with your post-hunt cigar, and perhaps a nice sherry glass to toast the fox, but none of the rest of the necessary acoutrement.  Its more Old Man lounge decor purveyor as opposed to Old Man expedition outfitter, like the old A&F. 
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

chrizow wrote: get with the times!

http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2009/07/ ... s-weejuns/

and madras has been "in" for about 10 years!

i basically have given up on fashion, not that i was ever fashionable.  i am now trying to dress so square, that i will either be fashionably unfashionable/quirky, or trad-fashionable. 
I guess I'm not seeing these in the San Francisco area. 

Not that it matters.  My daughter described my wardrobe as 'nerdy mom clothes.'
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: They will get you hooked up with your post-hunt cigar, and perhaps a nice sherry glass to toast the fox, but none of the rest of the necessary acoutrement.  Its more Old Man lounge decor purveyor as opposed to Old Man expedition outfitter, like the old A&F.  
i need to go on more adventures and expeditions.  i am gravitating towards some hemingway-esque lifestyle choices - flannel shirts, scotch, bloody game, in addition to a lifetime admiration for swearing and literature - but i don't have the travel experience to lend gravitas to my cultivation of taste.  i guess i can start getting in more fistfights.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Fly fishing is a nice expensive way to start getting your feet wet in that lifestyle.  You can get started right here in MO and still completely drain your wallet before you even start commissioning guided trips down the great streams of the world. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Fly fishing is a nice expensive way to start getting your feet wet in that lifestyle.  You can get started right here in MO and still completely drain your wallet before you even start commissioning guided trips down the great streams of the world. 
a friend of mine's father is a fly fishing guide in montana.  he's also an anarchist blogger and commentator.  he has truly earned his ample goatee and plaids.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Have you considered taking up pipe smoking [insert mandatory joke]?  I am pretty sure that is step one - a good tweed coat and a nice corsican briar pipe.  I have a hard time getting past this first step. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

a capital idea!

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Do they still have the tobacco friendly floor at your workplace?  Might impress some of the clientelle. 
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

There was actually an original A&F in San Francisco in the 1960's.  I bought a light weight safari jacket there and wore it all the time. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

chrizow wrote: a friend of mine's father is a fly fishing guide in montana.  he's also an anarchist blogger and commentator.  he has truly earned his ample goatee and plaids.
So he's right of center?  :lol:
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I got my sperrys last spring....great summer shoe to go with shorts and according to some satorialists, boat shoes never go out of style.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

I was just noticing yesterday that all our grad student interns at work are wearing boat shoes.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

sounds like highwoods is trying to run granfalloon out.

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

KCPowercat wrote: sounds like highwoods is trying to run granfalloon out.
What did you hear KCP?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Ive never cared for the place but it seems to serve its target market quite well. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

There was an online article that said Highwoods informed Granfaloon there was another tennant interested in the space.  Information is still vague though.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

sorry nd didn't mean to be cryptic.  There was a tweet last night and a story on kshb about it.  GF is even saying they will pay more rent???

thesnowman21
Pad site
Pad site

Post by thesnowman21 »

Here is the link from there website

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/news/local ... yx7PQ.cspx

There are a few empty slots on the plaza so it seems odd to try and force an established tenant to move. Been in a few times for a quick drink.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Aren't most of the vacant spots retail?  I am trying to think of empty bar restaurant spots. . .  Converting a space from retail to kitchen isn't exactly a cheap proposition.