proposed Valentine QuickTrip

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: proposed Valentine QuickTrip

Post by chaglang »

Doesn’t KCMO have a light trespass prohibition in the development code?

Edit: checked the ordinance. It’s pretty worthless.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Quiktrip at 39th and Southwest Trafficway appears to be dead.

https://jimmycsays.com/2021/06/21/quikt ... rafficway/
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:23 pm The Quiktrip at 39th and Southwest Trafficway appears to be dead.

Talk about high volume…According to the Kansas City Public Works Department, the average daily traffic volume at 39th and Southwest Trafficway was 72,818 vehicles a day in 2017. That made it the busiest intersection in all of Kansas City, running about 1,500 vehicles a day ahead of the second-busiest intersection, 31st and Southwest Trafficway.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

The road also acts as a quasi freeway, it has more characteristics of 71 Highway then any other Arterial road in the city.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

flyingember wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:44 am
FangKC wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:23 pm The Quiktrip at 39th and Southwest Trafficway appears to be dead.

Talk about high volume…According to the Kansas City Public Works Department, the average daily traffic volume at 39th and Southwest Trafficway was 72,818 vehicles a day in 2017. That made it the busiest intersection in all of Kansas City, running about 1,500 vehicles a day ahead of the second-busiest intersection, 31st and Southwest Trafficway.
More than (double?) the broadway bridge (a Modot asset), and yet, we are paying to replace the bridge before rebuilding Southwest Trafficway.

But people think the Northland doesn't get any funding priorities met...
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The city only spent money on that bridge because the state said they would shut it down for years
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

so let them
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kboish wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:01 amso let them
it didn't move the pedestrian goals of the city forward.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Living in the Northland, shutting down a major river crossing into downtown is a poor solution. Does SW trafficway need some improvements? Yes, especially at intersections at 39th St. and crazy intersection at Westport road. But it has been resurfaced within in the last 5 years and functions well.

The biggest issue I see with how to make improvements is what to do with the all of the residences that are right on top of the road. SW Trafficway was never intended to be the quasi freeway it is now, thus the street side parking it has during designated hours.

I think the new bridge, as ugly as it will be, will address better traffic flow and is crucial to plans of redeveloping the North Loop and potentially eliminating the highway trench all together.

The Northland gets ome attention from time to time but has been woefully neglected for 30yrs plus. Look at the development and growth if suburbs to the East and JOCO. I understand those are not KCMO and not lead by KCMO leaders. But the lack of attention to the Northland for so many years really was a whiff by KCMO in a way to grow the city of KC proper, add business and residents that might have helped them in other ways.

I'm to get what we can up here, and very happy to see all of the awesome development in downtown, and South to the Plaza. I work downtown, and spend most of my entertainment and dining dollars from downtown to the Plaza corridor (general area). I don't go out East and typically do not go into JOCO. It's easy for me to get those those more urban areas and I enjoy them.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Housing Authority of Kansas City has purchased the two-story office building on the NW corner of 39th and Southwest Trafficway to use as its' headquarters.

KC Housing Authority buys Midtown offices for new office HQ
The Housing Authority of Kansas City (HAKC) will consolidate operations with a headquarters move to Midtown that officials hope will best position it to serve thousands of local low-income families in need of affordable housing.

On Aug. 20, the state-authorized government entity acquired a 60,000-square-foot office building at 3822 Summit St. from The Baltimore Partnership LLC for $4.3 million.
In mid-September, HAKC anticipates moving 100 employees from its current leased offices at 10 Main Center, 920 Main St. Those employees will work from the building's second floor as the authority completes a yearlong renovation of its first and lower levels, starting in early 2022.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2021-08-31