OFFICIAL: 4646 Broadway (George Birt tries the Plaza)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: OFFICIAL: 4646 Broadway (George Birt tries the Plaza)

Post by schugg »

Imagesome work getting done
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

cool pics, is there a garage or something to view this from?
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

GRID wrote: cool pics, is there a garage or something to view this from?
a parking lot for the red brick apartments you see in the second pic.  you can go there and take really good pics, you are right on top of the workers.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

thanks for the pics schugg, i drive by there about once a week but rarely get a chance to get a good look inside, thanks for the view
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

Anybody else have more updates???  Since moving to the A, I sort of miss being able to get out and look at things for myself... :(
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

BVC wrote: Anybody else have more updates???  Since moving to the A, I sort of miss being able to get out and look at things for myself... :(
There's a big crane towering above the site now.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

the floors are finally going up, slowly, but they are going up.  Last time i was by there i saw about 3 stories (?)
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Sorry if this has been discussed, but why on EARTH are they building right behind Townsend place?

1>  That has to piss off the Townsend people, to now be looking right into a glass tower instead of Downtown

2>  who in 4646 wants to look into Townsend place either?

I don't get it.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: Sorry if this has been discussed, but why on EARTH are they building right behind Townsend place?

1>  That has to piss off the Townsend people, to now be looking right into a glass tower instead of Downtown

I don't get it.
1. Not all the views will be of Townsend Place.

2. The Townsend Place people threw a fit in the planning stages and some of the design got changed (I think there is discussion about it at the beginning of this post).

3. I think Townsend Place pretty much looks like ass. But there isn't a whole lot of difference between this and building a suburban house next to a very mediocre house. I think the location on the Plaza and the interesting design of this structure is more important to potential buyers than the immediate neighboring towers.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

The website, www.4646broadway.com, has photos updated to the 6th floor forms.
jj116533
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jj116533 »

hey guys for all of you that live near this project what is it looking like nice?  I haven't been able to go down to the plaza for weeks.
Student at NYU studying Metropolitan Studies and Economic Theory.  Real Estate connoisseur.
http://twitter.com/#!/grecobs
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

they just poured the 10th floor.  glass to start going in.  completion by end January 2007.
jj116533
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jj116533 »

thanks
Student at NYU studying Metropolitan Studies and Economic Theory.  Real Estate connoisseur.
http://twitter.com/#!/grecobs
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: 1. Not all the views will be of Townsend Place.

2. The Townsend Place people threw a fit in the planning stages and some of the design got changed (I think there is discussion about it at the beginning of this post).

3. I think Townsend Place pretty much looks like ass. But there isn't a whole lot of difference between this and building a suburban house next to a very mediocre house. I think the location on the Plaza and the interesting design of this structure is more important to potential buyers than the immediate neighboring towers.
besides, it's the freakin' plaza.  it's growing like gangbusters.  there is no reason to expect that an apartment will keep the same view.  not only is there no logical expectation for that, there is no legal expectation for it either.  it's just NIMBY whining.  the residents should have thought about this possibility when they plunked down $500,000 for a condo in kansas city's most successful high-rise residential district.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

chrizow wrote:there is no reason to expect that an apartment will keep the same view.  not only is there no logical expectation for that, there is no legal expectation for it either.
Well put.  This region has virtual no precedent for viewshed protection.  People who buy property for the view need to take a look around for vacant lots or obsolete buildings that could someday be replaced with something taller.  They also need to look at the zoning and long range plans for the area.  In the case of the Plaza, the "urban bowl" plan has been around for decades, which calls for high rise development around the periphery of the Plaza.

Kansas Citians aren't used to thinking ahead about views because we've lost so much collective urban culture.  However, it's an important consideration just like a single-family homebuyer considers the location of neighbors, roads that might get expanded, lots that might get strip malls, etc.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: Sorry if this has been discussed, but why on EARTH are they building right behind Townsend place?

I don't get it.
Have you been to another urban area?  What would you like to see happen , circles of highrises around town?

Most people are not paying for the view and if they are, in an urban area, you have to know there will always be a chance of loosing it.

BTW, I visited with the architects on this project while in Denver, they are an awesome bunch and you should see some of the projects they are doing in other towns, I can only hope they do more "urban" stuff in KC (they are working on some suburban developments here too).

Oh and TK, what is wrong with Townsend?  Jeez...
Last edited by GRID on Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote: Oh and TK, what is wrong with Townsend?  Jeez...
It's a big, utilitarian box with balconies around it. It'd be a good candidate for a conversion into a lowbrow hotel.
WorldTraveler
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WorldTraveler »

trailerkid wrote: It's a big, utilitarian box with balconies around it. It'd be a good candidate for a conversion into a lowbrow hotel.
It just happens to be in the nicest area of the city. I agree it is UGLY! Unfortunately it has almost become an iconic building sitting high atop the area.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

The website was recently updated again and shows 4646 is getting all grown up...
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

Drove by today and saw a few panes of glass installed on the east side of the building.  Looks really good, but I didn't have my camera with me.