OFFICIAL: 4646 Broadway (George Birt tries the Plaza)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: OFFICIAL: 4646 Broadway (George Birt tries the Plaza)

Post by Maitre D »

I had the day off yesterday, and walked around the Plaza all day.  Lots and lots of people down there on a very nice day.

Anyway, walked by the Birt building....I still cannot believe they built that facing Townsend Place.  What view does someone get looking into  another condo?  Had they build it 25 yards on either side, would've given amazing Plaza views.  It makes no sense to me.

One thing I did notice: there is little space between the windows and inside walls.  Very small area for any type of living room, etc, b/c of beams & walls inside.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
Marreekarr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Marreekarr »

I'm glad people build things for the wealthy but is it even possible anymore to build tall buildings for middle income people?  Are building materials and land and construction costs so out-of-sight that you have to charge millions for units just to break even?  How come Hong Kong can slap up towers like there's no tomorrow and anyone who sweeps floors for a living can get a unit?  We're all excited for 4646 B'way but maybe we could have a lot more tall density if construction costs weren't pinning us down to the earth.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Development money goes towards the rich first because they can make a higher profit margin. As they saturate the market, you'll start seeing more affordable housing options become available when the luxury suites stop selling.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Marreekarr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Marreekarr »

thanks Max.  My beef is that no one ever gets excited about low-middle income developments.  there's no fancy photo spread of a big low income tower going up in Westport or the Northeast neighborhood. 
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Also, I think you're looking at a much smaller place for 150-200k.  And most folks would (and do) spend their money on a 1500 sq/ft house then a 700-900 sq/ft condo for that money.

But I'd still like to see them try some new units for that price.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

I think the building looks kinda funny. It's very narrow and awkward looking.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The narrowness reminds me of some of the types of buildings you would see in Latin America.  Most major cities there have hundreds of res buildings this size and footprint.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

One last photo of this:

Update.  I'm testing my watermarking for the new website, just try to ignore or comment on it if you want.

zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Two $1million+ sales/contracts in the last 45 days. They are all sold out.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:22 am Coundn't you snag a rendering or something? ;)

Is the the land north of Valencia Place that was originally slated for a hotel or the land that was to be "The Mansions" condos?
Anyone recall proposal for that land? I am surprised that the Plaza has not seen any new condos built in the past 10+ years.