Broadway

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Broadway

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^It sure would be nice if that storage mart was torn down and redone as something else. A small big box would be a perfect fit there
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

This looks like a great project!

Here are few more renderings from the B&A website. The townhouses look interesting:

chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Those look awesome. Great infill.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

Ah you guys beat me to this! I'd just found those renderings earlier this week and had been meaning to post them. But it really looks like a great project though. At the bottom is a link to the Midtown KC Post story on it...not really any new info but this sentence really stood out to me, "'Developers are anticipating the streetcar someday going down Main Street,' Council member Jan Marcason said."

http://midtownkcpost.com/we-are-startin ... dway-back/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So good to see Midtown getting attention now. 500 units for Uptown/Amour area is exactly the kind of boost needed. And on top of it, KC getting attention from outside well funded developers.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

This is really exciting! This project does look a bit like LA, in a good way.

Looks like the demolition of one old house would be necessary...but no loss in my mind. Would the strip building at the corner of Broadway and 34th be demolished for this? Their plan shows a park. That building is a piece of crap so I don't care if it does go.

I hope something can be done with the old Norman school, too. Sad that plan didn't go through.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

Here's the link to B&A Architecture's website for this project: http://baarchitecture.com/projects/midtown-plaza/15BRO

Some of the renderings are a little different along with project details from the BizJournal but overall looks like no matter what it will be a great final product.
KansasCityJayhawk
Surface Lot

Post by KansasCityJayhawk »

I absolutely love this news. The tower that's being converted for this project is currently an eye-sore. I've been saying to others for a little while now that I really want to see it updated.

I'm finally getting my wish.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It would be nice if that hotel on Linwood could get an upgrade. Something like the Moonrise Hotel in STL would be ideal.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

WARNING: this is the same architect that designed this:
http://baarchitecture.com/projects/lang ... ence/LANRE

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

warning about what?

that building looks nice, with what little can be seen from that weird angle

the key pieces were energy efficient and space for cars. How does a custom personal home give any idea about a 400 person building?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

In the first picture in the rendering, why are there so many people in the middle of the street? Is the woman with the dog on the leash trying to keep her dog from attacking the birds, or that little girl? Or, is she actually on roller skates and is totally helpless to prevent such an attack.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

AlbertHammond wrote:WARNING: this is the same architect that designed this:
http://baarchitecture.com/projects/lang ... ence/LANRE

I'm Not a fan of that building...especially in that location (Ward Parkway, edge of Plaza). Still, I'm hopeful for this project. This has a more urban context and a better looking buildings (per their renderings).

I want to see a more developed elevation / 3d model for their townhouses.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

Midtownkid wrote:
I want to see a more developed elevation / 3d model for their townhouses.
The street with the townhouses will be a garage-scape ghetto according to this image. I am also hopeful for this project, but it needs some work.

Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Yeah, those apartment buildings really need to be rotated 90 degrees to face the streets and those townhouses need to be flip-flopped so that the garages are accessed from the interior of the block...
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Eon Blue wrote:Yeah, those apartment buildings really need to be rotated 90 degrees to face the streets and those townhouses need to be flip-flopped so that the garages are accessed from the interior of the block...
Funny how that seems so easy. And yet how does the developer not see it?

Also, does no one else find the commercial building to be hideous? It needs to be improved. Otherwise the project seems awesome.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yeah, the driveways to the townhouses is an amateurish mistake. It would be better to run a narrow alley behind the townhouses with garage access there; remove the driveways in front, and instead create small, walled courtyards to give the homeowners some outdoor space.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:Yeah, the driveways to the townhouses is an amateurish mistake. It would be better to run a narrow alley behind the townhouses with garage access there; remove the driveways in front, and instead create small, walled courtyards to give the homeowners some outdoor space.
so you recommend taking the Northgate Village design and dropping it in. with that height the row homes would fit perfectly right there
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

What's the 'soccer field' on the NE corner?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

And the metal palm tree in the 'house' above always makes me shake my head.