Broadway

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
mykn

Re: Broadway

Post by mykn »

I’m really bummed I didn’t see them remove any of the section, I’m curious how it was done.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

mykn wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:54 pm I’m really bummed I didn’t see them remove any of the section, I’m curious how it was done.
It was just a small, movable track crane. I thought then that they were just making holes to make it easier to demo the inside. I think this looks so much better than the original exterior because it gives some texture. I just would hate for them to just junk the old sections when it could easily be reused.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Could be cool if they were reused on the new townhouses they were/are planning.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Allstate sold the Broadway Walgreens this summer. It appears Arch companies of NYC may have been the buyer.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

kcjak wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:50 am DLS Tire at 3744 Broadway is closing (or closed). Friends of mine who have a neighboring business inquired about buying it - apparently the property was snatched up as soon as it was listed.
There is a new plan on Compass for this building:
Project Name: Parkway Bistro
Proposed Use: Restaurant and Bar.
Project Description: Full remodeling of existing automotive garage/ tire shop into a restaurant and bar assembly . Food kitchen and sales in the current enclosed office area and Retaining the garage overhead garage doors for open air bar service and seating.
Looks like it is the same owners as Westport Ale House
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Broadway feels like a car sewer. How can we change it? My first thought is the much-needed removal of the PVP interchange. Any other suggestions?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

normalthings wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:54 pm Broadway feels like a car sewer. How can we change it? My first thought is the much-needed removal of the PVP interchange. Any other suggestions?
I kind of wish street car would have ran down broadway instead of main
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:05 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:54 pm Broadway feels like a car sewer. How can we change it? My first thought is the much-needed removal of the PVP interchange. Any other suggestions?
Why?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Most likely development potential.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

normalthings wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:22 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:05 pm
Why?
Its the street that has the most potential to be a calm, walkable pedestrian friendly street. Main Street is still going to be wide, unwalkable and full of speeding cars after the street car goes in
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Implementing the results of the Midtown Complete Streets Plan would be a start:
https://www.marc.org/Regional-Planning/ ... reets.html
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:12 pm Allstate sold the Broadway Walgreens this summer. It appears Arch companies of NYC may have been the buyer.
Walgreens closed. Not sure if temp or permanent
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Curious. If Walgreens didn't renew with new building owner wonder if they are planning to relocate along streetcar line. Like perhaps the MAC project or Katz or Office Depot spot. Downtown could probably support a Walgreens too at this point, along with CVS. Then again, maybe it's just a temp closure.

Would be great to see Walgreens somewhere in Xroads, maintain Midtown presence and Plaza tennis courts overhauled into mega multi-recreational project with tennis courts on rooftop, indoor tennis/recreational levels as well, move Plaza library to a couple floors within and Walgreens/TOD amenities at the base. Design as a flowing Moorish style gateway from streetcar stop into Plaza proper.

Move Troost Walgreens to Prospect MAX line (encouraging more Prospect momentum) and maybe one around 39th or 35th/Troost as population growth justifies. Midtown likely to take off over next 10+ years so W side of Midtown could probably support their own Walgreens or CVS as well at some point.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Would love to see the next generation of these pharmacies be less suburban in land use. That parking lot at 39th and Broadway is atrocious.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The challenge is expectations for drivethru pharmacy in some areas. Midtowners need to break away from that expectation at some point. Though the 39th/Main CVS location would've maybe been 'urban acceptable' if the building were built up to the corner intersection with parking in rear. Drivethru located as it is and loading dock on side can work if done right.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Drove by the Walgreens at 39th and Broadway... it appears to be open.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

chaglang wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:52 am Would love to see the next generation of these pharmacies be less suburban in land use. That parking lot at 39th and Broadway is atrocious.
That whole site was full of dense, small buildings (Tobler flowers, featured in a scene in Mr. & Mrs. Bridge, for example) as recently as 1990 -- same for several now-empty lots across the street. The 1980s and early 1990s (the same years when Warner Plaza and Main/ Linwood were completely razed for the Glover Plan) were IMHO worse than the 1970s for architectural change to KC. The city was more or less intact in 1980 (excepting the highway clearance from the 1950s), but by 2000, suburban sprawl had sprouted throughout midtown.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah while Midtown was built with mostly single family homes as cars were just coming into mainstream, the neighborhoods were not that car dependent. Markets/bakeries/etc were still within the walkable neighborhoods (can still see the remnants) and rest of businesses were built along main corridors with parking in the rear. Need to get back to that mode but too many Midtowners have adjusted to car dependency. May not see a complete shift until after streetcar is running and starts to cause the shift. Renewal of leases over the years will likely shift towards those who have a mindset of less car dependency than those who want a car-first life - the latter can move to the burbs. Developers should lead this (many are) but if they don't should eventually follow a natural eventual trend. "City Planning" also should take the lead.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Downtown streets used to be run by homeless. Look at it now. Armour used to be 'sex offender row'. Look at it now. Mixing up broader demographics in neighborhoods often alters the behavior. Improving situations (such as matching right jobs and dealing with drug addiction) for those in trouble usually alters the behavior. Keep improving the city and the troubled areas will improve too. Maybe not solved but improved to higher functioning. Giving up is not a solution.

A Broadway CID expansion could help too.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

This used to be my go to Wallgreens and it is definitely on the sketchy side. The parking lot always has some kind of crazy shit going down. I wouldn't be mad if its redeveloped. It's a big lot on a high visability intersection.