Broadway

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Broadway

Post by earthling »

^Yeah both 39th St Walgreens and CVS would ideally be redeveloped into residential multi-use up to the corner intersection with these stores at the base just for the sake of better urban design.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The one at Broadway was an awesome corner before it was demolished. Florist shop and apartments above?
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I really hope the improvements keep moving South from Linwood down Broadway into Westport and eventually end at 47th & The Plaza. With Main Getting the street car expansion it will really help improve the neighborhoods between Main & Broadway (east to west) all the way South to the Plaza. There are a lot of apartments, apartment homes, duplexes, single family homes etc, that have been neglected for years but hung on. Hoping we start to get a mix of renters and owners, as well as a mixture of socio-economics for the entire area. Really need to get some wealth equity build back into the area, not full gentrification but some elements of it as right now it unfortunately it trends heavy low income and transient. A lot of good stuff going on with Broadway with more positive to come in the future. I hope those businesses and residences that have been there for the long term will get to see the fruits of their labor for sticking it out
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Midtown overall will highly likely take off over the next 10+ years. At least starting along streetcar line and fanning out from there but good chance wherever there's opportunity. Would be shocked if it didn't. Also would expect a lot of existing Midtown rental properties to change hands, potentially upgraded - some market rate, some under affordable programs. There will be complaints about gentrification but would expect Midtown to ultimately have a broad mix in the end.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder if Exact Partners will buy that apartment building on the northeast corner of Baltimore and W 36th Street -- The Alps.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:00 pm The one at Broadway was an awesome corner before it was demolished. Florist shop and apartments above?
Buildings demolished for Walgreens: Tobler's Flowers. and Vander Boom Interior Decorators.

More images at the links:

https://kchistory.org/islandora/object/ ... m/OBJ/view

Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

FangKC wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:12 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:00 pm The one at Broadway was an awesome corner before it was demolished. Florist shop and apartments above?
Buildings demolished for Walgreens: Tobler's Flowers. and Vander Boom Interior Decorators.

Ugh why!!! They could’ve just put it on the bottom
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

^I wrote a letter to Mayor Cleaver asking the same thing circa 1990 -- of course they had just done much larger demolitions over on Main (including Milton's Tap Room along with block after block of apartment buildings, Warner Plaza).

The city back then basically did whatever developers wanted.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I found another photo of Broadway showing the Vander Boom Interior Decorators building. That building looks like it might have been a theater at one time.

https://jchs.odyssey.historyit.com/item ... 00/gallery
watcher64110
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by watcher64110 »

I had friends who rented a first floor apartment along 39th just behind Toblers Flowers in the late 1990s. A fourplex called the "Princess" which was cute but in terrible shape; they had a bus stop basically on their front stoop. I remember when they were kicked out for "neighborhood improvements". Seemed like a bad idea to me at the time, but I remember how excited everyone was to get a Walgreens, lol. They thought it would clean things up around there. Rent was around 350/month for a 2 br if I remember correctly.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

FangKC wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:12 pm

Totally off topic and I apologize! Where can I go to find the tax assessment photos like this one with the guy standing there with the numbers and what not?
bones.25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bones.25 »

atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Thanks Bones!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Gomers now wants to demolish the Broadway Butcher building after all--for parking. :cry:

daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I would rather see Gomers demolished for something that actually faces the street.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Gomer's owns that building? Screw that. I'll hit up the meeting and tell them how awful an idea that is.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Time for Gomer's to move if they want more parking. Is one of the retail spots near Midtown Sunfresh available.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

They want to build a larger building that would occupy their current parking lot.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If they tear down both buildings, build new streetfront along Bway with parking in the rear, that may actually be better.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Presumably they would have to follow the boulevards design standards.