Uptown Theatre district improvements

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Uptown Theatre district improvements

Post by johnmatrix »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:21 pm
johnmatrix wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:49 am Any news on Krokstrom? I still see it's open wonder if business has picked up since the message asking for help was announced.
Why does a place like this struggle but Grunauer thrives? They are both basically offering upscale ethnic comfort food at similar price points?

Krokstrom started doing lunch during the weekday now but I don't expect that to draw a lot of people in. Mesob across the street just stopped offering lunch because of lack of business. I really think they should just revamp the menu, move locations or go simpler and drop prices.

Look at the price differences of this swedish restaurant in Chicago vs Krokstrom

http://swedishbistro.com/wp-content/upl ... r_Menu.pdf
https://klubbkrokstrom.com/dinner/

12 dollars for Swedish Meatballs at the Chicago Restaurant vs 18 at Krokstrom and its basically the same exact thing item for item - If Krokstorm offered 12 dollar Swedish Meatball, i would go much more often because its a comforting dish
That's the biggest complaint I've seen about the place is pricing. They even dropped pricing a dollar or so. Me thinks the business model just isn't sustainable. I hope i'm wrong its a cool place.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Obviously, Kansas City needs more Swedes.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Walked by it last night around 8 and it was dead.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Krokstrom was on Triple D this week, might help them boost sales. That really seems like a restaurant that doesn't fit the Triple D mold, it's not really a diner, drive in or dive and it's quite expensive and portions are small, this might actually backfire with people that watch and eat at DDD restaurants. I feel like Triple D watchers are all about quantity and low prices not good quality and great service.
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Am doing YouTubeTV trial and that episode is on there OnDemand. Hope this helps keep Krokstrom going. It's such a unique flavor and she does not take any shortcuts. After seeing the level of preparation involved, can understand the prices.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I ate dinner at Krokstrom a few weeks ago and it was crowded/full. I think it was a Friday night, but still good to see.

The Pork Belly sandwich is awesome.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I had to Google DDD.

Anyway, good for them!
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:54 am Krokstrom was on Triple D this week, might help them boost sales. That really seems like a restaurant that doesn't fit the Triple D mold, it's not really a diner, drive in or dive and it's quite expensive and portions are small, this might actually backfire with people that watch and eat at DDD restaurants. I feel like Triple D watchers are all about quantity and low prices not good quality and great service.
They've covered quite a few around KC in recent months - saw Extra Virgin on one last week.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Krokstrom is closing 11/2 and it sounds like a new tenenat is already lined up to take the space. Wonder if Shio would move into that bigger space
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Bummer, apparently DDD appearance didn't give enough of a boost. Hope she doesn't give up, maybe if she can find an investor to reboot in a Plaza or downtown location. But you gotta wonder if city core is getting too many restaurants.
Last edited by earthling on Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

That sucks. I've been eating there more and really like the food. Maybe Shio would be a good fit. I feel like Komatsu is kind of winning the Midtown Ramen Race - although I like Shio a bit more.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:03 am Krokstrom is closing 11/2 and it sounds like a new tenenat is already lined up to take the space. Wonder if Shio would move into that bigger space
Please not another Krab place!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

WSPanic wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:28 am That sucks. I've been eating there more and really like the food. Maybe Shio would be a good fit. I feel like Komatsu is kind of winning the Midtown Ramen Race - although I like Shio a bit more.
How is Komatsu? I'm downtown so mostly walk to Columbus Park, but Shio is my go to if I'm in midtown.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I honestly didn't think people went to Komatsu, the place is massive and i thought it didnt taste that great, the prices were lower compared to Shio
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Shio is better. Komatsu is decent - and a bit more affordable as mentioned. Columbus Park is easily better than both. I haven't been to whatever occupies the Pizza Bella space on Baltimore. With the weather getting ready to change, I'm ready for soup season.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

The Thai place in the old Pizza Bella is excellent, but perhaps a bit pricey.
I had the pancake at Shio last week and cannot stop thinking about it. In a good way.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Wonder who would want to even take over the Krokstrom space? It's been pretty bad luck spot for awhile. It would be sweet if something the BBQ place inside crane brewery took the space. I've heard it's amazing bbq and would fit the vibe if they wanted to go fancy.
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Something with either more mainstream appeal or targets Armour Blvd demographics. There are many from India along Armour, could an Indian restaurant do well?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Interesting take on the restaurant scene.
https://www.thepitchkc.com/krokstrom-ha ... gTub9XL44w
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

A running list of things the Pitch hates on in 2019:

1. Jolie Justus
2. Kevin Collison
3. Unnamed investor-owned restaurants

To stay on-topic, Krokstrom was...fine. I didn’t get the love it got in some KC food circles, though; my visits there left me with the sense that it believed itself to be a rung or two higher up the restaurant ladder than it delivered on.