Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Post by Riverite »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:53 pm Yeah, it says Superior Linens needs a partner/investor/mentor. They definitely need some help.

I'm not too surprised that they have some interest in development because all of their properties besides their main linen building are under the title of Superior Real Estate Venture, which would hint that they didn't just purchase them for the linen company.

They did seem to make a half-assed attempt and selling some of their properties a few years back, but it doesn't appear that anything came of it. I hope they do something with their properties soon (ideally sell).

Back on Linwood, the Hamburguesa Los Campos and discount phone store have been demolished, to be replaced by a dispensary. The design and overall plan is pretty lackluster, although I guess it will be a slight improvement over the status quo. I know they required some boulevard design standard exemptions and I'm not sure of the current status.
Redevelopment of superior linens properties and the velvet freeze building would push martini corner a lot. I’m not sure what’s happening with velvet freeze, it’s no longer on el dorados website. Last I remember someone said they were having issues getting it approved due to the lack of parking
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:53 pm Yeah, it says Superior Linens needs a partner/investor/mentor. They definitely need some help.

I'm not too surprised that they have some interest in development because all of their properties besides their main linen building are under the title of Superior Real Estate Venture, which would hint that they didn't just purchase them for the linen company.

They did seem to make a half-assed attempt and selling some of their properties a few years back, but it doesn't appear that anything came of it. I hope they do something with their properties soon (ideally sell).

Back on Linwood, the Hamburguesa Los Campos and discount phone store have been demolished, to be replaced by a dispensary. The design and overall plan is pretty lackluster, although I guess it will be a slight improvement over the status quo. I know they required some boulevard design standard exemptions and I'm not sure of the current status.
Pour one out for that building on Linwood that had the Hamburger/PCS store. The burgers there were not bad, if you enjoy the Mexican street fare style. But more importantly that building was the home of Lamar's donuts for years & years. It was a gas station before Lamar's went in. I had many memories of going with my dad to Lamar's. He worked at UMKC and we lived up north. Sometimes I would tag along in the summertime down to his office and on the way home we would grab a dozen. Place was always packed, as it was the only location in town for a long time
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I always thought Lamar's was where Subway is at Linwood/Main
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

Riverite wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:42 pm

Redevelopment of superior linens properties and the velvet freeze building would push martini corner a lot. I’m not sure what’s happening with velvet freeze, it’s no longer on el dorados website. Last I remember someone said they were having issues getting it approved due to the lack of parking
Velvet Freeze is still under option to purchase. optionee still going thru process due to close early october. otherwise optionor gets it back and will revert back to original plans similar to Eldo concept.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

ToDactivist wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:16 am
Riverite wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:42 pm

Velvet Freeze is still under option to purchase. optionee still going thru process due to close early october. otherwise optionor gets it back and will revert back to original plans similar to Eldo concept.
Thanks for the info! Are there any renderings for the optionee?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I too, miss that old Lamar's at Linwood and Oak. But I stopped when I realized what I thought was bonus chocolate sprinkles were a gift from a mouse.There was a nice little burger stand across the street(name?) and a fish and chip franchise(was it Arthur Treacher's or H Salt?).
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There is a new application on Compass for rezoning 506 E 31st Street (Velvet Freeze) to Urban Redevelopment.

There are no real details or plans on Compass. The only hint might be that Clockwork Architecture is involved.

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=contacts
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:48 pm There is a new application on Compass for rezoning 506 E 31st Street (Velvet Freeze) to Urban Redevelopment.

There are no real details or plans on Compass. The only hint might be that Clockwork Architecture is involved.

Thank god!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:48 pm There is a new application on Compass for rezoning 506 E 31st Street (Velvet Freeze) to Urban Redevelopment.

Says 163 units
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:20 pm

Says 163 units
Plans are now attached. It looks like a total demolition replaced with yet another stick frame multifamily on a parking podium. 31st street frontage has lobby, leasing, fitness center at ground floor. A small restaurant space faces gillham.

I love the density this brings but the original Epoch plan that featured the smaller Eldo designed annex coupled with a renovation of the corner building was far superior to this bland attempt that destroys more of the little remaining charm of the area.

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^ This looks like 2nd and Delaware some.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:07 pm ^ This looks like 2nd and Delaware some.
Same architect I think. Design doesn’t look bad to me and I like the massing. 5 floors should be our average, maybe even minimum, for main streets.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:11 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:07 pm ^ This looks like 2nd and Delaware some.
Same architect I think. Design doesn’t look bad to me and I like the massing. 5 floors should be our average, maybe even minimum, for main streets.
The rendering provided is basic, but gets the point across for the massing. It should look good when completed. I agree with the comment about this being the average, or minimum, for main streets. I think people will like this when completed.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Well, this is disappointing. Seems like a downgrade from the previous proposal. I would much rather keep the original building.

I know it is not a truly historically significant building, but when we have already demolished so much, we are losing any sense of place.

Also, would prefer to have the retail space be on 31st St, rather than Gillham. It seems odd to have the gym/amenities facing 31st with the retail more tucked away. But the scale/density does seem good.
SimplyKC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SimplyKC »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:18 pm Well, this is disappointing. Seems like a downgrade from the previous proposal. I would much rather keep the original building.

I know it is not a truly historically significant building, but when we have already demolished so much, we are losing any sense of place.

Also, would prefer to have the retail space be on 31st St, rather than Gillham. It seems odd to have the gym/amenities facing 31st with the retail more tucked away. But the scale/density does seem good.
I agree with everything you said, but remember the issue with original renovation proposal was the lack of parking. I wish there was a better solution which would allow the brick building to remain.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Superior Linen has put some of their holdings on Cherry St. on the market.

Glad to see it. I hope they sell all of their property.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/Cherry- ... /21207691/
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:16 pm Superior Linen has put some of their holdings on Cherry St. on the market.

Glad to see it. I hope they sell all of their property.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/Cherry- ... /21207691/
finally...I worked that guy for a couple years...then our optionee worked him for 6 mos...now they sell. Pricey and been thru these bldgs and all should be scraped...BUT in my little mind I would leave 2 plus hard corner (Velvet) and integrate those into a larger planset with a multitude of activations. Probably a good thing if one project. But pricey, major power lines, probably enviro mess (cleaners always are).
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Floyd Mayweather was in town today to open his new gym in Martini Corner.

https://mayweather.fit/locations/
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:59 pm Floyd Mayweather was in town today to open his new gym in Martini Corner.

https://mayweather.fit/locations/
According to the website, $150 per month.

Looks to be a successful business overall with 19 currently open locations and 25 planned/coming soon locations. Fast expansion. I wish them well.
SimplyKC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SimplyKC »

Signage went up this week for Made in KC Cafe and Ludo's Shuffleboards.