Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
tskev
Ambassador

Re: Martini Corner near 31st/Gilham

Post by tskev »

This building is under contract to be sold. It will be completely redeveloped. Upstairs will be executive offices, downstairs will be retail. I know that's vague... can't share the concepts, but it will be a great addition to this neighborhood.

The inside of this building is pretty rough. Overall, I think the buyer is going to do $1.5MM in improvements.

I believe the owner is also selling the land to the south to a developer to build new apartments. I know they've done some soil tests out there in the past 4-5 months. I'm too lazy to check compass to see if there are any permits though. Not sure how far along they are in that process.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

tskev wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:09 pm ...
I believe the owner is also selling the land to the south to a developer to build new apartments. I know they've done some soil tests out there in the past 4-5 months. I'm too lazy to check compass to see if there are any permits though. Not sure how far along they are in that process.
The parcel:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0699993 ... !1e3?hl=en
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Word is Slawson sold the Velvet Freeze property, which will be demoed for retail/apts. Not sure if that is true...
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Would be a shame not to see the solid Velvet Freeze bldng be recycled, but the current blight is intolerable.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Looks like bonds chicken already closed up. That guy threw a bunch of money on 2 failed businesses at that location now. That bathroom/atmosphere when it was a arcade still gives me nightmares
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:08 pm Looks like bonds chicken already closed up. That guy threw a bunch of money on 2 failed businesses at that location now. That bathroom/atmosphere when it was a arcade still gives me nightmares
I think the chicken place was only open maybe a month? It closed real fast.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

When I was there it was not good food and was very dirty. I hate eating while trying to fend off flies. Why could they not just eat from the uncleared tables?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

moderne wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:24 pm When I was there it was not good food and was very dirty. I hate eating while trying to fend off flies. Why could they not just eat from the uncleared tables?
Companionship
SimplyKC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SimplyKC »

It appears there is work going on inside the former location of "The Drop" as there is a large roll-off dumpster on site now.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Covering off building at 31st and Oak. Sadly, no Vitrolite. Just an ugly dirty brick mess.
watcher64110
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by watcher64110 »

Does anyone know what the plans are for that building? (the former mattress place on the south side of 31st and Oak) Glad to see something/anything happening there, but would love to know what it is.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

watcher64110 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:07 pm Does anyone know what the plans are for that building? (the former mattress place on the south side of 31st and Oak) Glad to see something/anything happening there, but would love to know what it is.
Well, there is this:
tskev wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:09 pm It will be completely redeveloped. Upstairs will be executive offices, downstairs will be retail. I know that's vague... can't share the concepts, but it will be a great addition to this neighborhood.
I don't see the plan on Compass, but you can glean some information from some responses, including references to offices, multiple kitchens, coffee roasting, and food truck parking. It also looks like there are applications for new construction/addition. I wonder if they might be adding on to, or rebuilding the rear of the building.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We've been to Brewer's Kitchen twice in the past few months and it's been a stellar experience both times.

Though the food/menu is pretty limited/basic, salads/burgers/apps, everything is done with top notch, fresh ingredients and is quite tasty.

Great selection of local beers and the the cocktails were done with local spirits.

Service was super friendly and attentive.

Bon Scott-era AC/DC and Deep Purple on shuffle was an unexpected bonus!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^ I love that place and my kids think its the best burger in town. The Brussel Sprouts are to die for and now i'm craving them right now
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

grovester wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:44 pm We've been to Brewer's Kitchen twice in the past few months and it's been a stellar experience both times.

Though the food/menu is pretty limited/basic, salads/burgers/apps, everything is done with top notch, fresh ingredients and is quite tasty.

Great selection of local beers and the the cocktails were done with local spirits.

Service was super friendly and attentive.

Bon Scott-era AC/DC and Deep Purple on shuffle was an unexpected bonus!
As mentioned above, those brussel sprouts - they were awesome. Burgers were good too.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Next time!

My fave was the chicken thigh tenders.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Technically now Brewer's Kitchen is Tower East, not Martini Corner. However down the street on NE corner of 31st & Cherry, the Fix with limited Thurs-Sun breakfast and lunch all vegan is good and inexpensive. They do serve Impossible Meat burgers and Tacos. Coffee prices a buck cheaper than the Filling Station down the street.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Major upgrade coming for buildings fronting north side of 31st between Oak and Gillham. Parking lot entrances from 31st to be replaced with patios, new streetscaping, elevated decks behind current buildings, some new structures.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

The rendering in Collison's article looks like the parking entrances will not be replaced. It shows the elevated patio spanning over them between the buildings and fronting 31st street. I'd rather see small infill buildings fronting the street, then they could have a larger lot in the back instead of building those two story additions off the backs of the existing buildings.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Critical_Mass wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:33 am The rendering in Collison's article looks like the parking entrances will not be replaced. It shows the elevated patio spanning over them between the buildings and fronting 31st street. I'd rather see small infill buildings fronting the street, then they could have a larger lot in the back instead of building those two story additions off the backs of the existing buildings.
I haven't tried to figure out where it fits under these rules. Parking minimums might still apply on the site and they can't remove any parking.

https://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uplo ... ep2018.pdf
The City has established special parking regulations that apply to lots located within 1,000 feet of a rapid transit stop, including waiving parking requirements for:
•The first 10,000 square feet of gross floor area for office and manufacturing uses
•The first 4,000 square feet for retail and sales related uses
•The first 2,000 square feet for restaurant uses