Linwood and Main

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Linwood and Main

Post by brewcrew1000 »

What are they doing with this building at linwood and main? This building use to be an old Cadillac body shop that was covered in Sheet Metal, i can't believe they would cover up such a beautiful building like that

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Linwood and Main

Post by beautyfromashes »

They're probably tearing it down. Maincor has no teeth or influence and should be ashamed what is happening across the street from their offices.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

beautyfromashes wrote:Maincor has no teeth or influence and should be ashamed what is happening across the street from their offices.
What do you expect when Maincor is run by a bunch of suburbanites who don't know jack about urbanity, all they know how to do is raise money. I don't understand why this building was covered in sheet metal. Were they trying to preserve it for future generation or just trying to be cheap by not repairing the bricks.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

The only permit I can find is a water kill permit, which would imply demolition.

http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... 7&jur=KCMO
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Building Demolition.
http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... 6&jur=KCMO

If it matters, talk to the owner.
FARID NARMIN
4340 WARWICK BLVD
KANSAS CITY, MO, 64111
http://jacksoncountygastro.com/Pages/Ph ... Namin.html

And it appears the property taxes are in order. Just input the real estate number in the top search bar. 29-830-19-33-01-0-00-000

https://ascendweb.jacksongov.org/ascend ... earch.aspx
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

FWIW, MainCor's Facebook page confirmed that the building is being torn down.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I remember hearing what the owner wanted to do with the place. He wanted to build either a fast food restaurant or some kind of strip mall with a liquor store as one of the tenants.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I remember hearing what the owner wanted to do with the place. He wanted to build either a fast food restaurant or some kind of strip mall with a liquor store as one of the tenants.
OH THAT SOUNDS GREAT. :evil:
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

The tax bill is paid by a trustee from Leawood, but this Dr. is listed as the owner.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

If I recall (I was on the OHP board for a brief period) the developer was Pierre Namin and i think it was the Dr's cousin or brother and he lives in Chicago. Also, I am almost certain but not 100% correct that this guy wanted to put in some kind of GenX type clothing store, those stupid stores that are on the eastside.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I think there are at least three of us posting comments on the MainCor Facebook page.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Maincor mentioned that there is something causing a delay on the demolition. Maybe there is something we can do. I feel almost hopeless on this one though, because I don't think the owner wants to keep the building at all. If it is the guy I am thinking of, he owns several homes that are rented out near the art institute. Everything I have heard from tenants are that this guy is a real d-bag :( . I might try emailing him but I think it will do no good...
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

This is the developers email address naminvahid@yahoo.com
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

They've already knocked out part of the side way. Too late for this one.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Oh... well damn. So much for a delay
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I go by there daily on the bus, and one morning this week I got a pretty good look at the northmost archway. It appeared to be sagging some in the middle. I don't know if that is indicative of the entire state of the building, but that could be a lot of work to stabilize and shore up that facade. Honestly, if I had any confidence an urban building would go in in its place, I'd almost be OK with the demolition. I also rationalized it to myself by thinking that since it was an automotive-associated building back in the day, there might be some nasty chemicals throughout that would be cost-prohibitive to remediate for residential or commercial use. Look up the Carter Carburetor building in St. Louis for what I'm going off of.

And yes, I was one of the comments on the Facebook page. We did manage to goad quite the reaction from the moderator. :D
innbloom
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by innbloom »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I remember hearing what the owner wanted to do with the place. He wanted to build either a fast food restaurant or some kind of strip mall with a liquor store as one of the tenants.

He owns a liquor store on Troost. He also owns the strip of colorful houses between 43/44 and walnut. So, I wouldn't be surprised by this at all.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Not sure about the building, but saw the Broadway Motor sign being refurbed into a credenza for the owner in someone's wood shop.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

That's depressing.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Driving past yesterday I noticed that the majority of the back three walls was down, but the front facade was in the same condition as it was. Maybe they are trying to save the front while demoing the rest?