Historic Old Northeast

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Historic Old Northeast

Post by loftguy »

I agree, Fang.

The east/west pedestrians have always felt very vulnerable in this crossing.

Didn't have to be old and infirm to feel this way.

With the jog, traffic volume and distance to cover, the young and nimble feel like targets, too.

Pretty challenging to motorists who are new to this intersection too, as it exists.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Good spot for a roundabout.

(Rockets come out of the sky / and i stand there)
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

A roundabout would be better than this, but not sure if there's enough room without giving up some of that parking lot.

(Call it morning driving thru the sound and in and out the valley)
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

without giving up some of that parking lot.
Looks like the design is within the current right-of-way therefore there is no taking of private property. Taking some of the parking lot would have taken the project to higher cost. And not sure of the tradeoff between the cost of the island vs what is in the design. Plus the roundabout would not have provided much assistance for pedestrians.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The interior of the building on the NE corner of St. John and Elmwood is being renovated. The address is 4602 St. John Avenue.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=St.+John ... 7,,0,-6.56

The windows of the upper floor have been taken out.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=St.+John ... 51,,0,-9.1
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I do not like the angled crosswalks. They break up the natural pattern of the street.

It could be more like this -

http://goo.gl/maps/9V4E8
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Under Bobbi Baker-Hughes’ leadership, Independence Avenue has come a long way

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/19/43 ... dence.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Cosentino's Apple Market on Independence Avenue and Cleveland has been totally revamped. It's no longer an Apple Market. The name has been changed to Mi Mercado.

The store has been repositioned as a Mexican grocery store. The signage on the walls is in Spanish. The store carries many Mexican national brands, and produce and meat Mexicans commonly use.

I must say that the produce and meat departments have been really upgraded. There are spices, fruits, and vegetables you don't see in other grocery stores, and a lot more varieties of beans, rice, and other grains. Many of the spices can be bought in bulk. I also saw a 6 lb. can of hominy.

The meat department is really much better, with what appears to be a lot more fresh cut beef, pork, chicken, and fish. One of the oddities of the meat department, that you won't see anywhere else, was that they had three entire pig heads in the refrigerated glass meat counter.

There is also a fresh prepared food deli counter that focuses on Mexican cuisines, and a sit-down eating area.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.105887,- ... ,,0,-10.31
If you are planning a big Mexican meal, this is the store to frequent to get fresh authentic supplies.

It was a fun outing, and I spent a lot more time browsing in this store than I normally do because I was curious to see so many things you don't see in other stores.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Semi-truck gets stuck under railroad viaduct at independence and Topping/Wilson.

This happens about once a year. Something needs to be done to correct this situation. I don't know if one can raise the viaduct higher, or if the street below it needs to be excavated lower to allow more height in the tunnel.

This would have been a good project for the federal stimulus bill as far as infrastructure development goes.

http://northeastnews.net/pages/?p=20191

Google map photo:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Independ ... 62,,0,7.81
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Saw on the news East High School was remodeled and just got air conditioning. I was thinking to myself WTF? It is 2013 and these poor kids are barely getting air conditioning at school. KCMO public schools are so F'd up no wonder there is no redevelopment taking place in the old NE. KCK public schools just replaced to aged buildings in urban core (which both had AC BTW) with brand new school buildings and KCMO is barely adding AC to it's schools.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

We all know KCK is a shining paragon of greatness, truly a model example to the world of what a municipality can be when grand visions and boundless ambition combine at just the right time and place to create utopia. You don't have to constantly rub our noses in it.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

My school didn't have air conditioning. Not even window units. One of these things we learned in those un-airconditioned rooms was that people lived in this part of the country for something like 15,000 years and central air conditioning only became common within the last 100. some of us even noticed that we did not go to school during the brief part of the year when air conditioning is anything approaching necessary.

Guess USD 500 didn't cover that, but 501 was always tougher than you soft-ass Dotties.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chingon wrote:My school didn't have air conditioning. Not even window units. One of these things we learned in those un-airconditioned rooms was that people lived in this part of the country for something like 15,000 years and central air conditioning only became common within the last 100. some of us even noticed that we did not go to school during the brief part of the year when air conditioning is anything approaching necessary.

Guess USD 500 didn't cover that, but 501 was always tougher than you soft-ass Dotties.
residential AC didn't start to boom until the 1950s. central AC in the 1970s

so schools really have been putting AC in for 40 years.

of course, don't forget that whole cooling snap in the 1500 to 1800s. I always wondered how everyone dealt with wearing long sleeved jackets everywhere until I thought of that
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

with the exception of the then-new "science wing," my high school (ray-south) did not have air-conditioning when i was there from '96-99.

built character.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote:The Cosentino's Apple Market on Independence Avenue and Cleveland has been totally revamped. It's no longer an Apple Market. The name has been changed to Mi Mercado.

The store has been repositioned as a Mexican grocery store. The signage on the walls is in Spanish. The store carries many Mexican national brands, and produce and meat Mexicans commonly use.

I must say that the produce and meat departments have been really upgraded. There are spices, fruits, and vegetables you don't see in other grocery stores, and a lot more varieties of beans, rice, and other grains. Many of the spices can be bought in bulk. I also saw a 6 lb. can of hominy.

The meat department is really much better, with what appears to be a lot more fresh cut beef, pork, chicken, and fish. One of the oddities of the meat department, that you won't see anywhere else, was that they had three entire pig heads in the refrigerated glass meat counter.

There is also a fresh prepared food deli counter that focuses on Mexican cuisines, and a sit-down eating area.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.105887,- ... ,,0,-10.31
If you are planning a big Mexican meal, this is the store to frequent to get fresh authentic supplies.

It was a fun outing, and I spent a lot more time browsing in this store than I normally do because I was curious to see so many things you don't see in other stores.
The Mi Mercado store operated by Cosentinos is closing on Tuesday due to inadequate sales.

http://tinyurl.com/kptvqub
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

This sucks immensely. Great store post-remodel, and it is the only place to get non-convenience-store groceries within a reasonable walking distance. I usually don't drive for a week or more after a big snow like we got recently, because why should I bother digging the car out and all that mess? Easier to just walk everywhere. Now I'm going to be stuck eating microwave popcorn and Chef Boyardee or taking the bus downtown if I run out of groceries before I can drive to the store. Very disappointed.

In fairness, though, I typically only ever shopped there if I couldn't or didn't want to drive to the downtown market. So I guess I'm part of the problem.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Good for them - I love the Midtown location. Been there several times each for dine in and carry out - always happy with the food and service.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Thank goodness! The space on the avenue has looked abandoned since April. I was afraid they had given up on it. Awesome to hear that they're coming back. I was a regular at Pho Hoa, and while iPho Tower is a very weird concept to me, at least as far as interior design, the food is great.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

@KCStar

Part of a three-story brick building has collapsed near Independence Avenue and Benton Boulevard in Kansas City. Developing.