Historic Old Northeast

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Historic Old Northeast

Post by KCMax »

I don't think we have a thread dedicated to Northeast. I know there's one for Pendleton Heights, but here's one for all of Northeast.

The Pitch: Artists and performers and bargain hunters are reviving the Historic Northeast
Pendleton Heights was Kansas City's first real suburb, a once-exclusive neighborhood that has, over the past 100 years, seen more highs and lows than the Prowler at Worlds of Fun. The gossip and news shared by a couple of people sitting in rocking chairs on Poertner's front porch fit somehow into this century-long timeline, informed by history. Have you heard? they ask. One of the three Heim mansions on Benton Boulevard — once home to the beer-brewing Heim brothers, who built Electric Park, at 46th Street and the Paseo, in 1907 — has been sold.

"It's one of the prettiest mansions in the Northeast," answers Linda Fleischman, the flame-tressed massage therapist and former concert promoter. She's an unofficial cheerleader for the Northeast, an area bounded roughly by Truman Road and Cliff Drive, from the Paseo to Blue River. She loves this neighborhood in particular, and she's thrilled when she sees new faces.
Really some amazing looking houses in these hoods.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Historic Old Northeast

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I love the Northeast and would love to live in that area, i love all the hispanic bakeries, shops, food trucks and grocery stores but is neighborhood revival and gentrification only a thing that occurs when White People start moving in and rehabbing homes? Would they ever consider a poor white trash area revival or gentrification if a bunch of Hispanics or blacks moved in or would it still just be considered poor?

I love an area like Northeast because its such a melting pot but I don't think id like it if realtors started pricing out the hispanic/asian/african families and shop owners.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Northeast is a long, long way from seeing true gentrification. Look at the Westside--possibly KC's only truly gentrifying neighborhood. You can't get within spitting distance of 17th and Summit for less than about $250K-350K, but even 2-3 blocks south in the more modest areas of the WS you can buy a house for like $25,000.

Other areas of the urban core that have become upscale are the same way: you can't find "bargains" in/near Janssen Place in Hyde Park or in the tonier areas of the Roanoke or Valentine neighborhoods, but you can find totally solid, large houses within a couple of blocks of these million-dollar pockets for $100-150K and fixer-uppers for less. Northeast has an even steeper hill to climb. I would guess that in about 10 years it will have a Hyde Park level of gentrification, where the mansions and nice homes near Gladstone are expensive (and they basically already are), with inexpensive to very inexpensive homes fanning out from there.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Well, I'm a white person who has moved into the Old Northeast.

I can think of at least four rundown houses that have been bought cheaply and renovated into stellar homes in the past three years--all in Pendleton Heights and Scarritt-Renaissance.

KCRealtor, can you think of some more?

344 Garfield

Before

After

433 Benton Boulevard

313 Ord Street

Before

After

502 Olive in Pendleton Heights.

421 Garfield(north of Independence Avenue at Garfield and Amie St.)

There is an old thread on the NE side.

http://forum.kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17465
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I love an area like Northeast because its such a melting pot but I don't think id like it if realtors started pricing out the hispanic/asian/african families and shop owners.
Gentrification...the kind that people have meetings about...is not happening in the midwest save for some tiny areas in Chicago, which otherwise is a massive, cheap urban core. I wouldn't worry about that kind of thing. Midwestern urban cores could use a stiff dose of real gentrification, in any case. A BCBG Maxazria storefront isn't going to take over the last carnicería in the last affordable commercial space in the region. :)

Glad to hear that there's progress in the NE. This kind of thing is often fraught with fits and starts in the midwest, but glad to hear that things are moving along. I wish the damn recession hadn't happened, we'd all be further along...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Youtube video on the Old Northeast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjP4I9tz ... r_embedded
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Old Northeast Chamber of Commerce wants to form a community improvement district (CID) along Independence Avenue from Paseo to Ewing.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... 2012-06-06
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Northeast Home Tour this Saturday, October 20, from 12 noon to 5 p.m.

http://nekchs.com/uploads/Poster.pdf
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC Design Center puts Northeast under a microscope
Sixteen Kansas City Design Center students, now in the final year of their master’s program, are studying the Independence Avenue Corridor to create a design vision plan.
http://northeastnews.net/pages/?p=15568
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Nice Article in KC Star today about Independence Avenue
Like the surrounding neighborhoods, it’s a melting pot of menus along Indy Avenue, which some see as the best hope for improving the image of a busy thoroughfare known more for its history of prostitution than its culinary fare.

Their plan: Rebrand the avenue as an “international marketplace” in an attempt to attract foodies and others to the area’s restaurants, groceries and small shops. To help, they’re seeking City Council approval this month to create a special taxing district to pay for those marketing efforts, better landscaping and improved security.
Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/30/39 ... rylink=cpy
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

pash wrote:Good article. ... I really hope Indy Ave gets the next streetcar line after an initial extension southward. Lots of potential to be an major urban corridor if it can attract a bit more development.
Totally agree. If it can ever remove the crime and the stigma of crime associated with it, it has a lot of other assets to build off of.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Sorry, but i know lots of people who call it Indy Ave...as well as "The Avenue".
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is just easier to type, but good to know the microlocal lingo for future reference.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

harbinger911 wrote:Why do people on this website (only) refer to Independence Ave as "Indy".
I understand that 99% of you are not from KC and are still learning about the city.
But it really sounds dumb to refer to it as "Indy."

The nickname "Indy" is already taken, it's a city in Indiana.

No one in Northeast or anywhere else in KC calls it "Indy."
Northeast residents and those that know Northeast or work there refer to it as "The Avenue".
It is the only street nicknamed "The Avenue" in the city.
when I was a young lad we referred to Minnesota Avenue in KCK as "the Avenue"-
as in when Mom said,"we're going to the Avenue to shop." Of course that's when there were still department stores etc. along there....
Last edited by bbqboy on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

harbinger911 wrote:Why do people on this website (only) refer to Independence Ave as "Indy".
I understand that 99% of you are not from KC and are still learning about the city.
But it really sounds dumb to refer to it as "Indy."

The nickname "Indy" is already taken, it's a city in Indiana.

No one in Northeast or anywhere else in KC calls it "Indy."
Northeast residents and those that know Northeast or work there refer to it as "The Avenue".
It is the only street nicknamed "The Avenue" in the city.
I often refer to it as Indy Ave on here. It's just shorthand. I live in northeast and grew up in KC. Just saying.

Admittedly, I never say it out loud.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I have to say I have never heard "Indy" used out loud, either.

Pretty evenly heard are "Independence Avenue", (this by people not from Northeast, or people from NE speaking from someone outside of the hood), and simply "the Avenue" (used by NE'ers almost without exception, and certainly if speaking with another denizen).
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

:roll:

So anyway, @IndieAveCID also begs to differ with you. I've always seen it spelled with a -y, but the -ie is a nice look.

Totally, totally unrelated: is there a word for the aesthetic qualities of how a word is spelled?