Westside happenings

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
smh
Supporter

Re: Westside happenings

Post by smh »

Agreed, that would be a great parcel for a higher density use. More people = more services for the neighborhood. It's good for everybody.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Fang, you're dreaming in the right direction........
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The City needs to repopulate south of the river to maintain a tax base. That really needs to be the No. 1 priority.

Single family homes built on double lots a few blocks from downtown isn't going to cut it. Growth in the Northland isn't going to save the City forever. The Northland is not dense enough to provide a tax base forever once it starts aging.

It's also harder to create density than it used to be because families are smaller, and there are many more single people living alone in all types of housing.

The mayor, and future mayors, need to be communicating this to residents over and over. The choice is either become denser, or pay much higher property and sales taxes in the future. No one is talking about it, and it's where cities go wrong all the time historically.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

FangKC wrote:I think you are referring to the plan promoted by the Westside Housing Organization drawn up by BNIM
to build new housing on that parcel in conjunction with renovated the West Side and Switzer school buildings.

Biz Journal: Westside Housing Organization floats plans for Kansas City mixed-use project
Gloria Ortiz-Fisher, the organization’s executive director, said the plan calls for turning
Switzer High School and West Junior High, which have sat vacant for more than 30 years,
into 98 units of low-income and market-rate housing. The split will be 60 percent low-income,
40 percent market-rate, Ortiz-Fisher said.

The site is along Madison Avenue between 18th and 20th streets. ...
What I heard was actually a newer version of that, since that plan fizzled long ago. It was not associated with anything happening to the Switzer and West High buildings, and it was in the ~250 range of units (not including low-income restrictions). It was a second-hand source of a second-hand source, so take it for what it is (a game of telephone).

I live in the hood and would welcome such density. The young professional housing option, in my opinion, is the most sorely lacking in the downtown area. If we want young people to come downtown, it is a bit ridiculous to expect them to make under 30k or over ~65k to afford a place. That sweet spot (basically entry level for science grads, math grads, business grads, etc.) is where the next level of entrepreneurs and high quality jobs exists. It could eventually give the Westside a more Lawrence, college community feel as a downtown campus is on the horizon. That is the only other place in the region where I have seen the modern houses mixed in with the 100 year old houses. I'd love to see a complement to 17th and Summit perk up on 20th and W. Pennway. The strange recording studio next to Westside Storey and buying adjoining houses is about all that is left to expanding that area without major construction.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

bobbyhawks wrote:
FangKC wrote:I think you are referring to the plan promoted by the Westside Housing Organization drawn up by BNIM
to build new housing on that parcel in conjunction with renovated the West Side and Switzer school buildings.

Biz Journal: Westside Housing Organization floats plans for Kansas City mixed-use project
Gloria Ortiz-Fisher, the organization’s executive director, said the plan calls for turning
Switzer High School and West Junior High, which have sat vacant for more than 30 years,
into 98 units of low-income and market-rate housing. The split will be 60 percent low-income,
40 percent market-rate, Ortiz-Fisher said.

The site is along Madison Avenue between 18th and 20th streets. ...
What I heard was actually a newer version of that, since that plan fizzled long ago. It was not associated with anything happening to the Switzer and West High buildings, and it was in the ~250 range of units (not including low-income restrictions). It was a second-hand source of a second-hand source, so take it for what it is (a game of telephone).

I live in the hood and would welcome such density. The young professional housing option, in my opinion, is the most sorely lacking in the downtown area. If we want young people to come downtown, it is a bit ridiculous to expect them to make under 30k or over ~65k to afford a place. That sweet spot (basically entry level for science grads, math grads, business grads, etc.) is where the next level of entrepreneurs and high quality jobs exists. It could eventually give the Westside a more Lawrence, college community feel as a downtown campus is on the horizon. That is the only other place in the region where I have seen the modern houses mixed in with the 100 year old houses. I'd love to see a complement to 17th and Summit perk up on 20th and W. Pennway. The strange recording studio next to Westside Storey and buying adjoining houses is about all that is left to expanding that area without major construction.
Completely agree. When I was looking to rent around downtown back in 2007 I hated my options, and it doesn't seem like it's improved a lot. Your range of incomes was/is exactly my problem. I was single, so on one income, just couldn't really find anything I could afford or would be allowed to rent in.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I came across this new renovation at 2142 Madison--on the corner of Cesar Chavez Avenue / West 23rd Street.

This is how it appears now.

http://tinyurl.com/l3gmcrv

http://tinyurl.com/lvhc9fr

This is the design for the renovation. Spring 2014 is the expected completion date.

http://www.trulia.com/property/31188490 ... y-MO-64108
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

The guy who is renovating/developing this property has done multiple similar, and each of them significant, conversions on the westside.

He's a unique operator and does real quality work.

Tip o' the hat, to Dale!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Loftguy, you should drive over to 24th and Forest and see the new houses architect Randy Kietzman is building on Beacon Hill. They are on the court behind the new apartments UMKC is building now. I'm really quite taken with the brown house on the west side of the court.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

bobbyhawks wrote:If we want young people to come downtown, it is a bit ridiculous to expect them to make under 30k or over ~65k to afford a place. That sweet spot (basically entry level for science grads, math grads, business grads, etc.) is where the next level of entrepreneurs and high quality jobs exists. I
I looked at apartments in midtown back in 2007 and even then most places worth living were too high for my budget, and I was not in that 30-65K hole at that point.

one trend after conversion going to be the 3-4 story structure that it takes a short bike ride to get to the train line

because you need this level of residential in places where land isn't so crazy expensive it instantly doubles the cost to rent

right now this price range is all going up north of the river. see City View in NKC for example
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I would imagine that one of the reasons apartment prices are going up is a lingering result of the economic crash of 2008, and the high number of foreclosures. Many people lost their homes and had to rent. In addition, with the credit markets freezing up, a lot of people couldn't get financing for home purchases for an extended time, thus ended up renting or staying in rental housing longer than they normally would. Add to that the lack of financing for new building construction for about five years, and there was a lag in adding new units to the metro market.

We had a fixed number of apartments in Kansas City for a time, very little new construction, and people were still moving to the Metro, so scarcity started to happen--thus price increases.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

FangKC wrote:I would imagine that one of the reasons apartment prices are going up is a lingering result of the economic crash of 2008, and the high number of foreclosures. Many people lost their homes and had to rent. In addition, with the credit markets freezing up, a lot of people couldn't get financing for home purchases for an extended time, thus ended up renting or staying in rental housing longer than they normally would. Add to that the lack of financing for new building construction for about five years, and there was a lag in adding new units to the metro market.

We had a fixed number of apartments in Kansas City for a time, very little new construction, and people were still moving to the Metro, so scarcity started to happen--thus price increases.
I think it goes beyond rental prices. Home prices are in a tough range near downtown, so people who would consider either buying or renting are in the same boat. In the Westside alone, you move from $50k houses on dicey streets to $500k houses on great streets just a few blocks away from one another. The Trulia estimations are very confused by this. There is not much in the $120 to $200 range, which is where I would guess most young professionals are looking. I could be way off, though, and that is a pretty large range. Condos in the Crossroads are probably mostly above $200k (from anecdotal understanding) and require HOAs to boot.

There is this great opportunity, though, in places like Columbus Park and the Westside. What is available in the starter price range seems to be in decent demand, but there is just such a wide gap between the most available houses, which are either very cheap or very expensive (for a 20-30 something).
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

I've been really impressed with some of the residential that has been built on the Westside. I've been taking Summit to downtown on my way home from work because of the I-35 construction and often find myself meandering through the streets looking at homes. Something definitely needs to be done with the abandoned school and I could actually see moderate rent apartments being great there if the UMKC performing arts center gets adequate funding for construction. I think a lot of issues with condo prices in downtown are that owners are unwilling to sell at a substantial loss or "true value". My wife and I purchased a condo downtown but we played a hard line on negotiations, however, similar units in my building are priced $100,000 more and people are not getting offers. Slowly, owners are forced to drop their prices and overtime this will begin to get reflected in overall prices. It's also hard for young professionals to come up with 10% or 20% down for a condo. Not including monthly HOA's that are tacked on top of their monthly mortgage payment. In that regard I think the upscale apartment projects will be a success downtown. On my floor alone there is only one "younger" couple and the rest are empty nestors. Long-term, if we decide to move out of the DT condo, I would be interested in buying on the Westside or in the beacon hill/hyde park area. I have no interest in commuting 30 minutes each way to work like so many seem to do.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

super cute B&B now open on the westside: http://jeffersonhousekc.com/

great restoration. my parents stayed there last month and loved it. met the owners, very nice couple.
GiveThisManABeer
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by GiveThisManABeer »

This is the most interesting conversation. I am in that 20-30 range. Loft living now and love the Crossroads but ready to take the plunge to buy a house. It is so hard to find a good house in a happening neighborhood around downtown in that 100-200k mark. And then to spend on the high end seems in vain due to our public school system. Kansas City is town of Local Pig and Mills Record Company. They symbolize our city's future and I want to be a part of it. Not viewing it from the sidelines of the burbs or KS!

Just got back from a trip to Omaha and Milwaukee. That same price range gets you a lot more (safety, average schools, solid historic homes in the urban core look at Trulia). The Dundee and Bayview in the retrospective communities. Even outside of those areas it seems like there is more options for housing like that. And something I love in those towns is neighborhood bars. Our best examples would be Caddyshack, Twin City, and Harlings. Yes, Milwaukee is a ton of drinkers but even Omaha has some hidden little dives. Volker, Columbus Park, Westside, and too far to the south Waldo personify those good qualities the most but still carry the burden of some government assistance housing, rentals, and all lie in the KCMO public school system. Pendleton Heights is nice but surrounded by ghetto, the walkability isn't there IMHO. Hyde Park doesn't have a watering hole on the east side. It is such a shame. I don't want to be banished to the land of the lame in JoCo but we have a tall order in front of us.

What should be done? Half our community (east of Troost) is in shambles. There has to be another way. I want to be part of the solution (staying in the city) not part of the problem (leaving). None of the suburbs have little dives. It seems so false and boring. But no one of any background or income level should have to endured comprised safety or awful schools. I love you KCMO but let's work to make you the best in the metro.

We need more old man bars!

Buy Me a Beer
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

If you want to live in town, live in town. I know plenty of people with kids living in the KCMO and KCK core, making it work with some combo of private, charter, or carefully chosen public schools. Or, if that's a bridge too far, there are always inner ring suburbs. No shortage of old man bars in Mission, Merriam, and North Kansas City. But you're going to have to take a little bit of risk to get the life you want.
GiveThisManABeer
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

True that. It was even a risk getting back to this part of the country but it has paid off in spades. Kansas City is home and wouldn't want it any other way.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

GiveThisManABeer wrote:Hyde Park doesn't have a watering hole on the east side. It is such a shame.
If you open a bar on the east side of Hyde Park, I will be your #1 customer.
GiveThisManABeer
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

If I had the scratch to start, the first brew would be on the house my friend. Also, old school jukebox. None of this electronic stuff. A place has to have a soundtrack to fill it.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

GiveThisManABeer wrote: We need more old man bars!

Buy Me a Beer
KC has a dearth of many amenities, but neighborhood, dive and/or old-man bars isn't one of them. (FYI i am going to break this discussion off into a "dive bar" thread sometime today)

Volker:
DB Coopers
Gilhouly's

Old Hyde Park:
Chez Charlie
Fitz's
Davey's Uptown

Hyde Park:
Sidestreet

Westport:
Dave's Stagecoach
Twin City Tavern
Harling's
Westsider

Westside:
PR's Place
A revolving cast of random bars on SW Blvd, like where Jessie's was (can't recall what it's called now).

Downtown:
Zoo Bar
Caddyshack
Red Front
Peanut

Plaza/BKS:
Peanut

Waldo:
Bobby Baker's
Tommy Farha's
Piano Room
Flo's
Walsh's Corner Cocktails
What's Happenin' Lounge (actually in Marlborough)

Old Northeast:
Askew Inn
AJ's Bar
Gladstone (closed?)
Jigger

KCK:
Chicago's
403 Club
Breit's
Fat Matt's Vortex
Sammy's
610 Club

If you want an affordable house walkable to several neighborhood/dive bars, look in Old Hyde Park. there are always great houses for sale there. As but one example: http://www.reeceandnichols.com/homes-fo ... t-93952637
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think you should look to Pendleton Heights and Scarritt-Renaissance for more affordable houses close-in to downtown. The Old Northeast has many more good deals on houses than the Westside.
Last edited by FangKC on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.