Westside happenings

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Westside happenings

Post by beautyfromashes »

I just have a really bad feeling about this one.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

You can see that borded up concrete pillbox down the street from that angle. I'd recognize that structure from anywhere lol.

I'm by all means a fan of density and affordable housing. Just kind of surprised this one got approved and the developer definitely seems kind of shambly. Hopefully it turns out well.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Didn't see it mentioned, but some new town homes heading to Mercier Street.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... d3858ac58d
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:16 pm Didn't see it mentioned, but some new town homes heading to Mercier Street.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... d3858ac58d
Location.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0901366 ... 192?hl=en
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kevin Collison reporting a delay in progress for development of townhomes on the SE corner of 29th and Belleview.

Westside Townhome Proposal Rec Delayed by Plan Commission
A proposal to build nine townhomes on long-vacant property at 29th and Belleview was delayed Tuesday by the City Plan Commission over a procedural glitch and complaints by some neighbors about communication issues.

Remez Partnership wants to build six, two-bedroom and three, three-bedroom townhomes on a half-acre lot in the Westside neighborhood of greater downtown. The 29 Belle project, is expected to sell townhomes for $239,000- to $249,000, according to the developer.

In order to move forward however, the developer needs to have the site in the Westside neighborhood of greater downtown declared blighted to qualify for potential tax incentives, and have it rezoned to allow medium-density housing.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:14 pm Small(er) Westside Historic Rehab Apartment Project Moves Forward

https://cityscenekc.com/small-westside ... s-forward/
Contractor photos for Madison Lofts project at 27th and Madison (former KCPL substation building).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFQH-4ZJ20E/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHqTZRWJ4Fv/

https://kuula.co/post/7xkLf

https://www.instagram.com/stories/highl ... 026445567/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHYHXyAJTFx/

Google Streetview.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0787738 ... 84!8i8192
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The KC Star reported that a new coffee shop and bar are coming to 709 W. 17th St. in a former carriage house that once housed an auto repair business.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/709+W ... 94.5927347
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

RCP Award: $1,058,620
Estimated Total Project Cost: $1,323,275

Funds will be used to study how to reconnect Kansas City’s Westside neighborhood with the rest
of the City’s commercial and residential centers.
The Westside community is separated w by
Interstate 35 and rail systems. The project will develop a comprehensive plan to increase
mobility and connectivity, repair the community, and redress inequities and barriers to
opportunity throughout the Westside of Kansas City.

Since the early 1900s, the Westside has been home to immigrants from Mexico, Central, and
Latin America who created a rich and diverse neighborhood that was a mix of housing,
restaurants, and businesses. However, in the late 1960s, I-35 was constructed, cutting off
connections between the residents and businesses in the Westside from the Central Business
District and exacerbating disinvestment. Sixty-one percent of residents in the northern section
and 47% of residents in the southern section now live below the poverty level. The I-35 viaduct
has passed its projected life span and will need to be replaced in the upcoming years. The project
proposes changes to the viaduct (structure or underpass), Beardsley Road, and West Pennway,
and to improve transit access to address the barrier.
https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... 202022.pdf
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

REMOVE IT!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^I agree. If the bridge is past i's lifespan, now would be a good time to remove it and end 35 North at 7th Trafficway-Rainbow. 35 would begin again at the Bond Bridge
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:08 pm ^I agree. If the bridge is past i's lifespan, now would be a good time to remove it and end 35 North at 7th Trafficway-Rainbow. 35 would begin again at the Bond Bridge
That's not going to happen. If anything it will be one of the designs that sends it farther west.

With the new bridge, I'd guess the status quo will prevail.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

grovester wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:46 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:08 pm ^I agree. If the bridge is past i's lifespan, now would be a good time to remove it and end 35 North at 7th Trafficway-Rainbow. 35 would begin again at the Bond Bridge
That's not going to happen. If anything it will be one of the designs that sends it farther west.

Not that it would happen, but it should be considered realigning I-35 completely alone Beardsley / the railroad tracks and connecting just north of the 7th street Trafficway exit. I know it’s been sketched out on this forum before which is what gave me this idea. The cost would probably be insane but would be amazing to completely remove that highway cutting off the Westside.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:36 pm

Not that it would happen, but it should be considered realigning I-35 completely alone Beardsley / the railroad tracks and connecting just north of the 7th street Trafficway exit. I know it’s been sketched out on this forum before which is what gave me this idea. The cost would probably be insane but would be amazing to completely remove that highway cutting off the Westside.
Honestly, if there was anywhere to run a highway, that’d be my choice. Let’s make this happen
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:15 am

Honestly, if there was anywhere to run a highway, that’d be my choice. Let’s make this happen
I was calling for this 20 years ago. So I'm absolutely for it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

We'd be better off routing the official I-35 along the I-635 alignment -- so it no longer routes through downtown. Think about the land you could recover -- on both sides of the state line -- with no new highway construction!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

What would the highway exits be? There would either be no easy way to get to the Crossroads/Union Station areas from I-35, or the traffic flow through the Westside (somewhere) would significantly increase.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

bobbyhawks wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:13 pm

What would the highway exits be? There would either be no easy way to get to the Crossroads/Union Station areas from I-35, or the traffic flow through the Westside (somewhere) would significantly increase.
Reduce the road to a boulevard. We shouldn't destroy the urban core so people from JoCo or the Northland (like myself fyi) can get around as fast as possible in cars.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:08 pm We'd be better off routing the official I-35 along the I-635 alignment -- so it no longer routes through downtown. Think about the land you could recover -- on both sides of the state line -- with no new highway construction!
Hear hear

Quick google analysis suggests this would only add a couple of miles and bout 3 minutes to an I-35 trip into downtown. A small price to pay for a significantly more livable city.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

That would be the best thing to happen, but I’m simply realistic about the fact that most folks will have a conniption with an idea like that.