Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Troost developments

Post by chrizow »

one would think Glover would "get it" since he has lived near 33/Harrison for decades, but maybe it has just made him jaded as to the possibilities.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I think you attack Troost like a battle....look for the place where the barrier to cross is the weakest and plant a flag that states emphatically, "East of Troost is now open for business." This point to me seems to be 63rd Street at the Landing Shopping Center. Attract a Target store to that 'mall' and that entire area will be developed in short order. You aren't changing/tearing down anything historically significant and most of the infastructure should already be there.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I know, right? Maybe it's because I'm a newcomer and longtime residents have accepted that the city's not going to help them.

When we moved to SP, I was prepared for there to be more crime and craziness than were we lived in Westport. But there's not. There's less. Much less. What I wasn't prepared for are the 45 minute roundtrip drives to Target. Or the fact that the closest drug store is at 39th and Main. Or that there's no grocery store on Troost. Or that I live in a walkable neighborhood with commerical buildings but have to drive somewhere else if I want to buy anything that doesn't involve a sex act. It's a gigantic hassle. My neighbors and I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about the neighborhood and trying to figure out how to fix problems in SP. Far more time, I'd imagine, than people in Brookside or Armour Hills ever think about where they live. But we have no outlet for these ideas, so we fix what we can and hope that development eventually finds us. And that's a great way for people to either get burned out and disengage, or get fed up and leave. I don't think the city grasps that their inaction - as much as crime - are the reason people leave Troost/midtown.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

beautyfromashes wrote:I think you attack Troost like a battle....look for the place where the barrier to cross is the weakest and plant a flag that states emphatically, "East of Troost is now open for business." This point to me seems to be 63rd Street at the Landing Shopping Center. Attract a Target store to that 'mall' and that entire area will be developed in short order. You aren't changing/tearing down anything historically significant and most of the infastructure should already be there.
What's interesting about Troost is that your idea is completely viable for that location. But for a place like the intersection at Armour or Linwood, a dense, mixed use project would be perfect. It's a street where, if you have a development idea, there is an appropriate place for it somewhere.

The gist of the study is to pick out few nodes (3 or 5, can't remember which), and really focus on what it will take to revive them. As you say, attack it at certain points and let the rest of the street fill in between those nodes.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chaglang wrote: That's what set me off about Glover's comments: we are knocking ourselves out to improve the city east of Troost, and he is trying to torpedo the first comprehensive study anyone has done of the street in decades. And to top it off, he's placing the blame on the residents for not being "ready" for development. It's beyond insulting. We are ready, and the major reason this is even a question is because the city has never done the things it promised to do in past plans. When we started our neighborhood planning exercise, the first thing we looked at was the 1998 FOCUS plan. Of all the things that we identified as problems that residents could fix, 100% were done. All of the things still not addressed after 14 years were things that required city action.
I feel like this should be an email to Glover. Well put.
Volker Dad
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Volker Dad »

I think if Port Fonda moved to a storefront at 31st and Troost, we'd start seeing changes quickly. Often, it seems, great restaurants pave the way for future development. Examples might be Bluebird or You Say Tomato.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Volker Dad wrote:I think if Port Fonda moved to a storefront at 31st and Troost, we'd start seeing changes quickly. Often, it seems, great restaurants pave the way for future development. Examples might be Bluebird or You Say Tomato.
I totally agree. Lufti's could easily be a part of that. Sadly there have been rumors about them leaving because of the knucklehead liquor store next door.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

chaglang wrote:Or the fact that the closest drug store is at 39th and Main.
good points, but is the CVS at 44/Troost not closer to you? it may not be.

interestingly, as dead as Troost is, the 44-47th area has a CVS, Walgreens, and True Value Hardware (and fast food but who cares about that). we live near 44/Campbell and go to those places all the time and there is definitely a mix of folks bridging the Troost divide going into those stores.

the most obvious bridges in midtown are between 31st and Armour, especially the 3100-3200 blocks where there is a pretty solid streetwall of historic storefronts. if a few good tenants signed up in that area, i think the area would take off.

also, if the bainbridge is cleaned up, something may finally happen with that cool, MAC-owned brick "market" building at the SW corner of Armour/Troost.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Volker Dad wrote:I think if Port Fonda moved to a storefront at 31st and Troost, we'd start seeing changes quickly. Often, it seems, great restaurants pave the way for future development. Examples might be Bluebird or You Say Tomato.
restaurants only locate to areas and stick around with a sufficiently dense number of people to keep them open.
if a restaurant can be successful this is a benchmark for other types of businesses.

you can't just get a restaurant and be a successful neighborhood. they're more a temperature of the area than an end goal.

Gates of all places put a restaurant on Main in Midtown over Troost. If you can't get that restaurant to be on Troost in that part of town who will be?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

flyingember wrote:
restaurants only locate to areas and stick around with a sufficiently dense number of people to keep them open.
if a restaurant can be successful this is a benchmark for other types of businesses.

you can't just get a restaurant and be a successful neighborhood. they're more a temperature of the area than an end goal.

Gates of all places put a restaurant on Main in Midtown over Troost. If you can't get that restaurant to be on Troost in that part of town who will be?
The Gates on Main reflects a reality that existed when they built the building, decades ago. It's not true anymore.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

flyingember wrote:
maybe, but there is a Gates at 47th between Troost and Paseo.

i think that also there is potential for some pioneer type development east of Martini Corner along 31st, towards Troost. the closer that viable businesses can get to Troost, the less it seems like a barrier. it could also be a baby step to places locating directly ON troost.

there is no reason why a Port Fonda-type place couldn't be successful on Troost. look at Grinders, it was in a no man's land for years before the "east crossroads" became a thing. not as symbolic as Troost, but still.

there is a pretty strong concentration of arty, creative, urbane folks on both sides of Troost from Longfellow/Beacon Hill all the way down to South Hyde Park/Manheim Park. there is a significant customer base there to tap into. i think the first thing that could happen is that a couple of bars/restos open right near each other in the 3100-3200 blocks and build a "buzz" in the area and get folks (including folks who already live around there) to understand that it's a fine area, no different than other "edgy" hip places like SW Blvd or whatever. there are a few small art-related businesses in the area which could get in on the action.

i also think it would be cool to stage some "happenings" in the vacant lots - like outdoor cult films, music performances, art stuff, talks, whatever. anything to get people to the area and rethink it.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

a good bar/grill could be a good catalyst.

not a bar with bar food but more like Paul and Jack's Tavern in NKC. A large bar area coupled with a respectable restaurant section.

the low cost aspect and high profit alcohol would help it survive. the restaurant part makes it legit for families
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

chrizow wrote:also, if the bainbridge is cleaned up, something may finally happen with that cool, MAC-owned brick "market" building at the SW corner of Armour/Troost.
This?

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yeah. http://goo.gl/maps/Gww3J <-- pic of its current state. it could be a cool little somethin' or other. MAC is basically just sitting on it and seeing what develops at the Bainbridge. they've had architects in there doing measurements and other preliminary stuff.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

another idea I had for 18th and Vine area could just as easily be along Troost.

a real music venue for battle of the bands.
have zero bands that charge cover. zero bands that require to be paid. amateur or pro. you sign up for a slot and that's it.

no alcohol, lots of good food available to purchase.

each night have musicians in a genre have a music contest or series of contests. maybe do over a week an elimination with two bands each night or a series of 10 rappers all in the same night. if you go that night you get to vote for your favorite. treat it as a feeder for bigger KC venues.

the nights you don't have contests with jazz, dancing and such.

there's nothing wrong with having a good place for rappers or DJs or rock bands or whatever get together and play some good tunes without their fans needing to worry about money and there needs to be more places where music and drinking don't mix

Let them rise or fall on skill and sell tshirts, cds and such.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

chaglang wrote:I know, right? Maybe it's because I'm a newcomer and longtime residents have accepted that the city's not going to help them.

When we moved to SP, I was prepared for there to be more crime and craziness than were we lived in Westport. But there's not. There's less. Much less. What I wasn't prepared for are the 45 minute roundtrip drives to Target. Or the fact that the closest drug store is at 39th and Main. Or that there's no grocery store on Troost. Or that I live in a walkable neighborhood with commerical buildings but have to drive somewhere else if I want to buy anything that doesn't involve a sex act. It's a gigantic hassle. My neighbors and I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about the neighborhood and trying to figure out how to fix problems in SP. Far more time, I'd imagine, than people in Brookside or Armour Hills ever think about where they live. But we have no outlet for these ideas, so we fix what we can and hope that development eventually finds us. And that's a great way for people to either get burned out and disengage, or get fed up and leave. I don't think the city grasps that their inaction - as much as crime - are the reason people leave Troost/midtown.
Unfortunately, it takes a long, long time to turn an area around, and it's made more difficult with today's instant gratification society. The longest period of time that we can imagine is maybe 10 years. Hang in there! You pioneers and sowing a positive legacy. And, even if your vision is not fully realized in the time frame you expect, be encouraged by the battles won and keep fighting.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I thought the Bainbridge had already been renovated.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

FangKC wrote:I thought the Bainbridge had already been renovated.
It has. But it's 100% Section 8 and (according to the KCPD) the address in that area they get the most calls about. It's Georgian Court East.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It will take 15 more years for the HUD contract to expire. The Bainbridge was renovated in 2006 and has a 20-year contract for low incoming housing, because low income tax credits were used to renovate the buildings. Then it can go market-rate I believe. The same is true with Georgian Court and Linda Vista.

I was looking at Troost on Google Maps and think a good location for a grocery store would be the block of Troost to Forest from 42nd to 43rd. The retail buildings on the NE corner of 43rd and Troost could be retained. Only six houses would have to be demolished on Forest to build a store big enough to serve the neighborhood.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42nd+and+ ... 64110&z=18

Another good location would be between Troost and Forest and 28th and 29th streets, assuming one could pry that land away from the Nazarene Publishing organization.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42nd+and+ ... 64110&z=18

UMKC wants to build a grocery store on or near Troost, so hopefully that will happen soon.

If I lived in the neighborhood and was asking something from Glover it would be for the city to form a redevelopment authority and start buying up the remaining used car lots north of Emanuel Cleaver Boulevard. I think those lots hurt regeneration possibilities.

I've always thought a good location for an urban target would be south of 18th Street between Forest and Paseo. The store could back up to the railroad tracts, which are unsightly anyway. A lot of that area is already cleared, and parking lots or storage lots.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42nd+and+ ... 64110&z=17
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

The problem with Glover is that he is tied in to the business community - and therefore is hearing one thing from private developers and bankers (which is business as usual), and another thing from the residents. No creative solutions will come of that. The best case scenario would be a private developer who will take a slight risk. Look at MAC. It can work DESPITE irrelevant Jim-Glover types who are protecting the status quo.