Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Troost developments

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Work on both sides of the 3100 block of Troost seems to be in full swing (Compass Resources on the East, Clemons on the West).

Sidewalks still open while doing some repairs to the facade on this building:

It looks like the new facade and addition are beginning to be removed on this building:

Some updates on the 25th and Troost development - signs say move in starts summer 2020, which seems plausible for at least a portion of the poject:

KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It looks like the development proposal for the two buildings on either side of the Firehouse at 45th and Troost is still alive. The zoning change was to be heard at the June 16th CPC meeting, but it has been continued to next month to allow for further public engagement.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

yeah, this one popped up again out of nowhere. pretty good project but their public engagement is really, really poor. I can't imagine them trying for the zoning change before reopening public dialogue is going to be well received. seems like even a moderately savvy development team could get this one done.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

tskev wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:20 am
flyingember wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:05 am
tskev wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:11 am

Oh, there's a family that's been "renovating" it for the past two and a half years. Very little progress here, and it's been frustrating. Of course, they won't sell...
The SE corner shows as owned by someone who lives in California. That probably plays a part.
It's a mother and two sons. At least one of the sons lives here in KC. I'm sure that doesn't help, but I think it's primarily an issue of a landlord just not caring enough to get it finished.
It looks like the retail space in the building on the SE corner has recently been listed for lease. Hopefully the apartments above will get renovated some time soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

Newly white-boxed commercial space in an historic building on Troost Avenue. The corner space is ideal for a local business or start-up looking to grow with this centrally-located neighborhood, within walking/biking distance to the Plaza District. Corner space has secure access to adjacent unit if tenant wants to occupy both 4301 & 4303 at a negotiable rate.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

That's a great building. It would be cool to see that leased, as well as the buildings immediately to the south. That corner is much quieter than it was a few years ago, so maybe there's a chance.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

A little more info on the MIlhaus project on the KCATA site at 31st and Troost, as well as a mention of the Linwood and Troost development:

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... lhaus.html
At a 31st Street and Troost Avenue parking lot, Indiana-based developer Milhaus is looking to develop an apartment building with 51 units, several of which would be affordable, Brien Starner, president of RideKC Development Corp., recently told the Kansas City Business Journal.

Starner said the $8 million to $9 million project would be "catalytic," together with a 150-unit apartment development Milhaus is pursuing on a property less than a block to the south.

The 31st and Troost property is meant to accommodate Federal Transit Administration, KCATA and city funds supporting transit, public parking artwork and park-and-ride uses currently on site, bid documents show.

RideKC hopes to strike an agreement with Milhaus by the end of July, upon which the 51-unit development could undergo an 18- to 24-month construction.
I saw this was just posted yesterday, which appears to match the 31st and Troost development:
https://www.construction.com/projects/d ... t-building
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Troost Midtown Project Underway, First Historic Building Ready by Fall

The Troost Midtown Project, which was approved for tax incentive assistance more than a year ago, includes the renovation of the historic Shankman and Micheslon buildings at 3115-3131 Troost, and the Tycor building at 3105 Troost.

The light demolition and stabilization of the Michelson, Shankman and Tycor buildings continue to progress. Michelson will open in Fall 2020, while Shankman and Tycor are tentatively planned to open in Spring 2021.
Midtown Redevelopment Partners will be introducing cost-effective communal living at 911 Linwood.”

https://cityscenekc.com/troost-midtown ... y-by-fall/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:04 pm Troost Midtown Project Underway, First Historic Building Ready by Fall

The Troost Midtown Project, which was approved for tax incentive assistance more than a year ago, includes the renovation of the historic Shankman and Micheslon buildings at 3115-3131 Troost, and the Tycor building at 3105 Troost.

The light demolition and stabilization of the Michelson, Shankman and Tycor buildings continue to progress. Michelson will open in Fall 2020, while Shankman and Tycor are tentatively planned to open in Spring 2021.
Midtown Redevelopment Partners will be introducing cost-effective communal living at 911 Linwood.”

https://cityscenekc.com/troost-midtown ... y-by-fall/
Now is a great time to buy houses in this area
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

FangKC wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:04 pm Midtown Redevelopment Partners will be introducing cost-effective communal living at 911 Linwood.”
I wonder what that will entail. Dorm style? Maybe high bedroom count apartments?
normalthings wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:23 pm Now is a great time to buy houses in this area
10 Years ago was really a great time to buy houses in this area. I'm glad I did then. I'm right between these developments on Linwood and the Armour and Troost 4 corners project. I am excited to see what happens over the next couple years.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:28 am
Some updates on the 25th and Troost development - signs say move in starts summer 2020, which seems plausible for at least a portion of the poject:

The development website says the first apartments will be available starting August 15th with additional units becoming available September 1st and 15th. Additional units after that have no set availability date yet. Rent here ranges from $874 a month (Studio @ 425sqft) to $2274 a month (2 Bedroom @ 1,464sqft).

https://www.2501beaconhill.com/kansas-c ... acon-hill/
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

https://cityscenekc.com/revival-of-hist ... h-clemons/

Revival of Historic Troost Commercial Block Continues

Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:24 am https://cityscenekc.com/revival-of-hist ... h-clemons/

Revival of Historic Troost Commercial Block Continues

It’s really incredible how much troost has changed over the last 10 years. Hopefully the families that have historically lived in the neighborhoods adjacent are also being positively impacted and gaining equity
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

They have, which is both bad and good. Good for owners, bad for renters. In south Beacon Hill and in Mount Hope moderate size 2 floor houses that are complete gut jobs(basically paying for the lot, hole in ground, and frame if it is not completely termite eaten) are going for more than 90K. Little 1000 sq ft habitat for humanity houses built on slabs are going for 120-139K. Many renters losing homes as out of town flippers coming in. So, neighborhood improving, becoming more diverse, but making affordable housing issues worse.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:36 am They have, which is both bad and good. Good for owners, bad for renters. In south Beacon Hill and in Mount Hope moderate size 2 floor houses that are complete gut jobs(basically paying for the lot, hole in ground, and frame if it is not completely termite eaten) are going for more than 90K. Little 1000 sq ft habitat for humanity houses built on slabs are going for 120-139K. Many renters losing homes as out of town flippers coming in. So, neighborhood improving, becoming more diverse, but making affordable housing issues worse.
Legalize density and work to reduce transportation costs via expanded public transit seem like good starts.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

There's a lot of legal density between Troost and 71. Most of it underutilized in vacant lots or vast underused(if at all) asphalt lots on 31st. Look at the 1925 map and its shocking how much multifamily housing has vanished. Most multifamily bldngs have 2 br as largest units. Families need 3 affordable bedrooms. The Habitat homes always feature 3 br as to fit a family home, although habitat does single family, not multifamily.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

moderne wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:11 pm There's a lot of legal density between Troost and 71. Most of it underutilized in vacant lots or vast underused(if at all) asphalt lots on 31st. Look at the 1925 map and its shocking how much multifamily housing has vanished. Most multifamily bldngs have 2 br as largest units. Families need 3 affordable bedrooms. The Habitat homes always feature 3 br as to fit a family home, although habitat does single family, not multifamily.
We need more multi family, I’m not sure houses still need to have 3 bedrooms with a family as a rule anymore. We have been seeing consistently lower birth rates, and will probably see it exacerbated by coronavirus in the next few months. Fewer people will date this year, and people will be less likely to have children while things are tight financially.

My guess would be that we will see people putting starting a family off even later and a rise in demand for multi family
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Riverite wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:58 pm
We need more multi family, I’m not sure houses still need to have 3 bedrooms with a family as a rule anymore. We have been seeing consistently lower birth rates, and will probably see it exacerbated by coronavirus in the next few months. Fewer people will date this year, and people will be less likely to have children while things are tight financially.

My guess would be that we will see people putting starting a family off even later and a rise in demand for multi family
Three bedrooms provides a lot of value.

Single parent + one kid uses two. The third is the guest room, office, play room.

I bet we'll see a slight birth rate increase around the end of the year, beginning of next because for several months people had nowhere to go and stayed at home more alone. Family planning doesn't define the birthrate any more or less than alcohol does. And stressed people drink more.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

moderne wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:36 am They have, which is both bad and good. Good for owners, bad for renters. In south Beacon Hill and in Mount Hope moderate size 2 floor houses that are complete gut jobs(basically paying for the lot, hole in ground, and frame if it is not completely termite eaten) are going for more than 90K. Little 1000 sq ft habitat for humanity houses built on slabs are going for 120-139K. Many renters losing homes as out of town flippers coming in. So, neighborhood improving, becoming more diverse, but making affordable housing issues worse.
All true. There is also a lot of anxiety about rising property taxes, particularly after the last reassessments. That's probably the biggest threat to long time residents being able to stay and benefit. I do also question whether the businesses going into these spaces are things that longtime residents will find relevant or affordable for them.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

chaglang wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:07 am
All true. There is also a lot of anxiety about rising property taxes, particularly after the last reassessments. That's probably the biggest threat to long time residents being able to stay and benefit. I do also question whether the businesses going into these spaces are things that longtime residents will find relevant or affordable for them.
True with retail, since there wasn’t that much before I don’t think all of the new retail needs to match solely what long time residents would be interested in. However if the density can push for things like a closer affordable grocery and a little dive or other things that are more neighborhood joints then it could improve their relationship with retail around
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Qualifying what I said with "all" and "solely" distorted my point considerably. If we are talking about benefits to longtime residents coming in the form of new businesses (which is the oft-cited benefits of redevelopment), then there has to be some relevance. I'd be very surprised if this particular developer has had the conversations with the neighbors to understand what that relevance means.