Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Troost developments

Post by FangKC »

rxlexi wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:46 am I had brunch a couple of weeks ago at Urban Cafe on 55th/Troost (patio dining on Troost!), and then walked a few doors down to Black Hole Bakery for to-go treats (excellent, btw). Was surprised to see a flyer posted in the window next to the front door expressing opposition to the KC Outlook project, especially from a small business in a relatively desolate stretch for retail. It boggles the mind...
Oddly, there were some taller buildings along other parts of Troost at one time.

I don't know how that 12-story apartment tower ever got built on Brookside Boulevard, Meyer, and Wornall.

One would never know we live in a city.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It looks like the strip of commercial buildings on the NE corner of 55th and Troost is about to be demolished. These are owned by Rockhurst (as is that whole block).

The only campus master plan I can find is from 2010, so I'm not sure how accurate it still is, but it looks like that site is slated for a parking structure with commercial space.

It is pretty disappointing that UMKC and Rockhurst have still failed to do anything meaningful with their all of their properties on Troost. They have been discussing mixed-use "college town" development along Troost for decades. It looks like UMKC is currently working on a new master plan, to be delivered this summer. I have a feeling Troost may continue to take a backseat, but we will see.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://www.startlandnews.com/2021/05/t ... age-video/

May 11, 2021. Write up and video from Startland about Troost Village. First video in a new series about the project.

alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I'm going to keep banging the drum but Linwood/31st has got to be the Phase 3 priority streetcar expansion line within the NextRail studied lines. There is so much potential for equitable redevelopment on our eest sid and to make a larger network effect to connect to TSC and Rock Island long term. This looks like an awesome project, and I am glad it seems very serious and not vaporware. I do hope there is some forethought to be able to turn some of the structured parking into office or residential in the event better transit is added to the area.
Last edited by alejandro46 on Wed May 19, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:22 pm I'm going to keep banging the drum but Linwood/31st has got to be the Phase 3 priority streetcar expansion line within the NextRail studied lines. There is so much potential for equitable redevelopment on our eest sid and to make a larger network effect to connect to TSC and Rock Island long term. This looks like an awesome project, and I am glad it seems pretty serious and not vaporware.
My understanding is that all of the renovations are underway and about 100% leased. All minority,woman, or veteran tenants.

Taking streetcar to VA would be huge in connecting the existing NS BRT lines and a large jobs center. A little hop to TSC would make tick a box for many voters.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

TSC, KCI, and the Zoo are the 3 transit destinations I hear people opine for. TSC seems to be the easiest to hit.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

langosta wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:58 pm TSC, KCI, and the Zoo are the 3 transit destinations I hear people opine for. TSC seems to be the easiest to hit.
TSC would also set us up well for future extensions. It gives us a foothold to argue transit as a realistic option instead of continued highway expansion in Jackson County.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Sorry if I'm skeptical, but so much of the new construction parts of this seem years away. AFAIK the developer doesn't own or have an agreement on the SE corner of Linwood and Troost. 911 Linwood looks totally stalled. Even the renovations in the 3100 block have taken a very, very, very long time to approach a semi-completed state. Troost is pretty hot now so it's not surprising that they could get lease agreements on the renovated spaces... the bigger questions are if they can finish the work and how long that might take.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:22 am The Marcato Apartments at 27th and Troost are now leasing.

https://marcatokc.com/
15 of 186 units available. 92% leased
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Travis Kelce, of the Chiefs, has purchased the former Midtown Muffler and Brake shop at 3030 Troost for use by Operation Breakthrough as an Ignition Lab.

https://www.kmbc.com/article/chiefs-te ... i/36517450

https://operationbreakthrough.org/ignition-lab
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:46 pm
Critical_Mass wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:24 pm Collison is reporting a $4 million, 26 unit development for the SW corner of 27th and Troost (catty corner from The Mercado)
https://cityscenekc.com/another-apartme ... t-revival/

Development group led by Exact Architects.
Article mentions they also have plans for a commercial building on the SE corner vacant lot.

This development is on the LCRA agenda for this week. It looks like we now have more details about the development on the SE corner and it appears it will be identical to the SW corner - a 26 unit apartment building (although there are no renderings for this corner). Both corners are scheduled to begin construction 3rd quarter 2021 and open in the 3rd quarter 2022.
Kevin Collison is reporting that the building on the SE corner will "mirror" in appearance the building on the SW corner. Both are three-story buildings -- 52 units total.
The Land Clearance Redevelopment Authority approved a 100 percent, 10-year property tax abatement and sales tax exemption on construction materials to help finance the development.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

More information about 27th and Troost...
The two corners both will house 26 apartments. Together, the sites will include 30 studios, averaging 436 square feet and monthly rents around $872, and 22 one-bedroom units, averaging 534 square feet and rents around $979.

All of the unit rents fall under 80% of the area median income, with most under 70%, Buland said.

Kansas City's Land Clearance for Redevelopment Authority last week approved a 10-year, 100% property tax abatement and sales tax exemption on construction materials for the development.

The two parcels represent the last two land sites remaining in the city's longtime Beacon Hill neighborhood redevelopment effort in concert with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, said John Wood, the city's director of neighborhood and housing services, during the LCRA's meeting.

Exact's project emerged from two requests for proposals for the corners, and will satisfy a city obligation to redevelop the properties by March 31, 2023, Wood said...

...Exact anticipates breaking ground on the 27th and Troost apartments in the third quarter. The units then could open in third quarter 2022.
Story Link: https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... homes.html

Additional rendering...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Any ideas what might be planned at 5447 Troost? Demo permit issued for these fine retail stalls...

tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

I have no insight, but I believe that is owned by Rockhurst. Wouldn't be surprised if it was for more parking and potentially future development down the road.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:44 pm Any ideas what might be planned at 5447 Troost? Demo permit issued for these fine retail stalls...

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:08 am It looks like the strip of commercial buildings on the NE corner of 55th and Troost is about to be demolished. These are owned by Rockhurst (as is that whole block).

The only campus master plan I can find is from 2010, so I'm not sure how accurate it still is, but it looks like that site is slated for a parking structure with commercial space.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

When were they last occupied.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DRAW Architecture posted some photos of the Beacon Hill Flats at 2501 Troost.

https://www.facebook.com/centric.build/ ... 739025664/
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

FangKC wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:01 pm DRAW Architecture posted some photos of the Beacon Hill Flats at 2501 Troost.

https://www.facebook.com/centric.build/ ... 739025664/
The Airstream coffee bar is very rad.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Went to the new Oddly Correct spot on Troost today. It was packed.

It's a pretty nice space. I would have like to have seen the garage doors open (maybe getting a little too hot today) and more outdoor seating.

There has been some backlash on the neighborhood FB page against Oddly Correct as gentrifying colonizers. That page really is a haven for NIMBY, anti-change, anti-everything warriors. Thankfully, they aren't representative of the whole neighborhood (as evidenced by the crowd at Oddly Correct), but unfortunately, they are the loudest voices.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I can understand some of the backlash. On one hand the OC guys have lives eats of Troost for a decade, but on the other they waited a looooong time to make the move - long enough that other places had already opened. But that FB thread was a lot of people discovering both that OC was moving, and that there were other coffee shops on Troost. Lots of Beckys and Chads from PV getting worked up about places they've never been and will never go.