Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
tskev
Ambassador

Re: Troost developments

Post by tskev »

FangKC wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:55 pm That building to the east was built as a grocery store.

I hope they can come up with a restaurant concept like Parlor in the Crossroads that uses the covered open area as outdoor summer dining space. The other option might be to enclose it in huge glass windows for year-round space.
Not sure what the plan is, but 1120 E Linwood is in very rough shape. I would imagine it is a teardown. The roof was completely caving in, and when it rained, water came pouring in...
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

tskev wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:16 am
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:26 pm There is new construction fencing up around the Firestone Building (31st and Troost) as well as the building just to the east. It looked like the Firestone Building was being worked on, and I think the newer and smaller building to the east may be getting demolished.

As far as I know, the property still hasn't changed hands or had any plans announced.
The firestone and harkness buildings, as well as the old police station (east of the firestone) officially sold a few weeks ago. New owner is the same as the buildings to the north of the block.
This is good right
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

If you had asked a year ago, I would have said no... but it appears he is actually getting stuff done at the moment.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

These pics of Troost are amazing.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Collison is reporting a $4 million, 26 unit development for the SW corner of 27th and Troost (catty corner from The Mercado)
https://cityscenekc.com/another-apartme ... t-revival/

Development group led by Exact Architects.
Article mentions they also have plans for a commercial building on the SE corner vacant lot.

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Critical_Mass wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:24 pm Collison is reporting a $4 million, 26 unit development for the SW corner of 27th and Troost (catty corner from The Mercado)
https://cityscenekc.com/another-apartme ... t-revival/

Development group led by Exact Architects.
Article mentions they also have plans for a commercial building on the SE corner vacant lot.

That's a small, but solid, building. The transformation of Troost continues. This decade will be fun to watch how it changes
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Another interesting bit in that article is that The Combine restaurant is supposedly opening soon in the Wonder Shops and Flats development. I assumed it was delayed due to Covid, but I noticed a new sign up in front of it for Solid State Pinball Supply and thought they might be taking that space (even though it seems like an odd spot for that type of business). I guess Solid State is somewhere else in the building.

I also noticed that a tea shop, Soulcentricitea has apparently replaced Blip Roasters.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It looks like MCCKC has purchased the former Nazarene Publishing House on the 2900 Block of Troost. They have applied for a change of occupancy on Compass with construction permits valued at $13M.

I don't see exactly what they plan on doing there. Maybe moving their office/headquarters to free up space on the Penn Valley Campus?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:22 pm It looks like MCCKC has purchased the former Nazarene Publishing House on the 2900 Block of Troost. They have applied for a change of occupancy on Compass with construction permits valued at $13M.

I don't see exactly what they plan on doing there. Maybe moving their office/headquarters to free up space on the Penn Valley Campus?
Is that this?

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... =locations

THE PROJECT IS AN EXISTING BUILDING AND IS LOCATED NORTH OF THE INTERSECTION OF 30TH STREET AND TROOST.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Looks like grading work has started at Armour and Troost.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

chaglang wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:39 am Looks like grading work has started at Armour and Troost.
Photos? It would be great if MAC's next move was to fill in some of those adjacent empty lots on troost
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

https://twitter.com/RideKCTransit/statu ... 6833336320

KCATA will sell land at 31st & Troost to Milhaus for a 51 multifamily units. Milhaus will maintain the transit assets and landscaping.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Had a great response from Parks & Rec to a 311 complaint I made. I noticed at the NW corner of Troost Park there was a sidewalk on the north border of the park that went about 15 feet and then vanished into a tangle of trees and shrubs that extended all the way to Paseo. Looked at a map that showed the sidewalk extending all the way east to Paseo. Made 311 complaint never thinking they would never remedy such a major problem that had to have been overgrowing since the last century. In less than 2 weeks they had a crew with chainsaw and shovels clearing it all out. The missing sidewalk was excavated and revealed with only a small section completely missing. An interesting urban archaeology was revealed in the form of ghost stairs near the Paseo where once there were some sort of residential structures that immediately faced the park. That would be unusual for KC to have frontage on a park without an intervening street.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

moderne wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:01 am Had a great response from Parks & Rec to a 311 complaint I made. I noticed at the NW corner of Troost Park there was a sidewalk on the north border of the park that went about 15 feet and then vanished into a tangle of trees and shrubs that extended all the way to Paseo. Looked at a map that showed the sidewalk extending all the way east to Paseo. Made 311 complaint never thinking they would never remedy such a major problem that had to have been overgrowing since the last century. In less than 2 weeks they had a crew with chainsaw and shovels clearing it all out. The missing sidewalk was excavated and revealed with only a small section completely missing. An interesting urban archaeology was revealed in the form of ghost stairs near the Paseo where once there were some sort of residential structures that immediately faced the park. That would be unusual for KC to have frontage on a park without an intervening street.
This sent me down a rabbit hole, and what I found is interesting. There is still a ROW platted between Paseo and Tracy and the sidewalk corresponds with the north side of a street. HistoricAerials.com shows five buildings along the north side of that street, facing south, up to at least 1963. The 1969 image is harder to make out, but it looks like they may be gone by then. This panel of the 1925 atlas shows the structures as a group called "Paseo Park", but not the street. Based on latitude, the street could have been called 29th Terrace.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

moderne wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:01 am Had a great response from Parks & Rec to a 311 complaint I made. I noticed at the NW corner of Troost Park there was a sidewalk on the north border of the park that went about 15 feet and then vanished into a tangle of trees and shrubs that extended all the way to Paseo. Looked at a map that showed the sidewalk extending all the way east to Paseo. Made 311 complaint never thinking they would never remedy such a major problem that had to have been overgrowing since the last century. In less than 2 weeks they had a crew with chainsaw and shovels clearing it all out. The missing sidewalk was excavated and revealed with only a small section completely missing. An interesting urban archaeology was revealed in the form of ghost stairs near the Paseo where once there were some sort of residential structures that immediately faced the park. That would be unusual for KC to have frontage on a park without an intervening street.
For what it’s worth, you can pop onto Streetview at that location and see it get worse over the years.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It probably was seen as an easy CPTED win. Tangles of trees tend to gain small homeless camps or people dump trash into them. No point in letting it expand.

Also, no one wants to be furloughed so everyone is trying to get good marks for their department. Fast completion of a ticket is how you get that.

go fill out the city ticket survey for this if you haven't, it needs to be reinforced as a good thing to work fast
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It looks like the School District is attempting to do something with their significant extraneous property holdings on Troost north of their headquarters.

They have been working on unloading some of the land to the NW of 29th and Troost for a while. They had some lots on 29th and Harrison under contract for a developer to build SFH, but the deal never closed. I'm guessing there might have been title issues. They have been working on some lot splits with the adjacent land around 29th and Troost, to be able to sell more of it. I assume they will hold onto their parking lot, but sell the surrounding vacant lots.

There is a more interesting tidbit that I recently heard: they have issued an RFP for development on the eastern 2800 block of Troost (and Forest). They own basically the entire block, which is mostly grass/private park land, with a couple small utility buildings. I don't know the details of their RFP, but this seems like a good opportunity for a significantly sized development that would help fill in some of the dead land between everything going on at Beacon Hill and 31st and Troost.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

From what I heard earlier this year, this isn't going to be a significantly sized development. It sounded like a land swap to get surface parking on the same side of Troost as the BofE building.

Really hoping I heard wrong, or the plan changed.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Oh cool. That has much more potential.