Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Troost developments

Post by Riverite »

chaglang wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:38 am Qualifying what I said with "all" and "solely" distorted my point considerably. If we are talking about benefits to longtime residents coming in the form of new businesses (which is the oft-cited benefits of redevelopment), then there has to be some relevance. I'd be very surprised if this particular developer has had the conversations with the neighbors to understand what that relevance means.
I agree, the conversation is something that needs to be had. Not saying every development has to cater, but what I think might be beneficial is for the bordering neighborhoods like Mannheim Hyde park , center city.. etc come up with a plan of which developments and amenities and price points they would like to see added. And work with developers on allowing them to build whatever some place with the understanding that they will help towards this particular thing another place.

We see this with affordable units, but maybe it could be expanded to grocery stores.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Riverite wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:21 am
chaglang wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:38 am Qualifying what I said with "all" and "solely" distorted my point considerably. If we are talking about benefits to longtime residents coming in the form of new businesses (which is the oft-cited benefits of redevelopment), then there has to be some relevance. I'd be very surprised if this particular developer has had the conversations with the neighbors to understand what that relevance means.
I agree, the conversation is something that needs to be had. Not saying every development has to cater, but what I think might be beneficial is for the bordering neighborhoods like Mannheim Hyde park , center city.. etc come up with a plan of which developments and amenities and price points they would like to see added. And work with developers on allowing them to build whatever some place with the understanding that they will help towards this particular thing another place.

We see this with affordable units, but maybe it could be expanded to grocery stores.
This idea is how you create a failed neighborhood with the wrong amenities.

There's four squares in a classic economic model

Nearly everyone will want the bottom right square in their community. This is free parking close to their home. It's affordable housing near every job. This is a perfect grocery store or drug store close by. Isn't an Urban Target in downtown, midtown and the plaza. But the market doesn't work that way.

A capitalist market isn't going to come in and install exactly what the neighborhood wants. It's going to build what's profitable.

And what's profitable isn't necessarily what people want today. It's check cashing, dollar stores and the like in many neighborhoods.

What is needed isn't to try and meet today's needs in neighborhoods but do these things

1. zoning and policies that makes to cheaper to provide flexible spaces.
2. zoning and policies that makes it cheaper to provide rental opportunities at different price points
3. infrastructure and policies that makes it easier to get around the city

It all comes back to jobs placement. When someone goes to work far from home the demand for restaurants and retail ends up being far from home because people move closer to work.

What we need to do is enable entrepreneurship within communities. The best job is one you create for yourself, working out of your home or apartment. If someone has a job doing handyman work on the east side they'll be looking for a place to eat lunch on the east side. That's demand for a cafe. That's a few more part time jobs. That's crime reduction because two 18 year olds have a job. It snowballs on itself.

Building stores isn't the first step. We need to put money into people starting businesses. Stores will follow.

We need to increase the base wage of people faster than developers can build new buildings because a business will use un-renovated space at a lower cost if they can
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

KC Star article on the Faris Farassati development for 45th and Troost:

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 51847.html
He is proposing the construction of two, five-story buildings, to house about 100 apartments and commercial space. That would include Farassati’s company, which publishes a journal for cancer research.
Zach Nelson, with Kansas City planning and development, said the City Plan Commission was presented with the project last week.

“Staff has encouraged the applicant to have additional discussions with the neighborhood and to also submit additional plans before this can move forward,” Nelson said, adding that he is unsure when the commission will put the project on their agenda again.

Sterrett said the development team plans to build the project in two phases, and work with neighbors on the designs for both buildings. Then it would take a final design plan to the commission.

The article focusses on the neighborhood opposition (which I think is pretty much limited to just the properties behind this development). Objections over the height and lack of parking. The developer expects apartments to be rented for under $1,000. If the size was decreased and more parking provided, then the complaints would be over affordability/gentrification. At least it sounds like Manheim Park is behind the project.

I would think that the building fire from the homeless camp on this site would push some neighbors more toward supporting this project.

I think this may end up like the MAC four corners project. The process may get drawn out due to some neighborhood objections, but it should still get done. I think there is enough support and desire for development on Troost, that it can push past a few noisy NIMBYs.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

OMG 60 foot buildings!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:52 pm OMG 60 foot buildings!
One corner of my single family infill house is is somewhere between 40-50 feet with the roof to put that in perspective
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I remember one neighborhood meeting I was at where they said a development would block out the sun. It was only like five stories, but the way they said you, you would’ve thought the entire neighborhood was being plunged into darkness
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

We may have attended the same meeting. It was a shitshow, and I was surprised that the HPNA board didn't even try to keep people civil. My hunch is that is the project was a block north, everyone opposed to the project would be in favor of it.

All that said, the developer is probably his own worst enemy when it comes to pubic meetings and engagement.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

chaglang wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:46 pm We may have attended the same meeting. It was a shitshow, and I was surprised that the HPNA board didn't even try to keep people civil. My hunch is that is the project was a block north, everyone opposed to the project would be in favor of it.

All that said, the developer is probably his own worst enemy when it comes to pubic meetings and engagement.
I think it was a different one because it was old Hyde park, but glad to know this craziness defies neighborhood boundaries
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The rezoning and blight designation for the Oglesby Hotel (3930 Troost) for conversion to 25-unit affordable apartments is on the Neighborhood Planning and Development Committee agenda this week.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:57 pm The rezoning and blight designation for the Oglesby Hotel (3930 Troost) for conversion to 25-unit affordable apartments is on the Neighborhood Planning and Development Committee agenda this week.
Good to see a redevelopment is coming. Here's some related information from the MHDC FY2018 4% Tax Exempt Bond document.
Development Information
18-406
Oglesby Hotel Apartments 3930 Troost Avenue Kansas City, MO 64110

Unit/Rent Info
25 - 1 Bedroom: $500 - $735
Total Units: 25
Total Affordable Units: 25

Developer Information
DowCon,LLC
3011 East Meyer Boulevard Kansas City, MO 64132
Samuel Dowdy (417) 695-2100

Federal LIHTC Requested: $249,593
Rehabilitation Family
The document also shows that this developer was/is planning a 124 unit development at 1900 East 15th Terrace. That would be called "Parade Park Homes". Not sure if that's new information or not.

Link: http://www.mhdc.com/nofa/FY2018_Applica ... 190724.pdf
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

[shadow][/shadow]
Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:51 pm
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:57 pm The rezoning and blight designation for the Oglesby Hotel (3930 Troost) for conversion to 25-unit affordable apartments is on the Neighborhood Planning and Development Committee agenda this week.
Good to see a redevelopment is coming. Here's some related information from the MHDC FY2018 4% Tax Exempt Bond document.
Development Information
18-406
Oglesby Hotel Apartments 3930 Troost Avenue Kansas City, MO 64110

Unit/Rent Info
25 - 1 Bedroom: $500 - $735
Total Units: 25
Total Affordable Units: 25

Developer Information
DowCon,LLC
3011 East Meyer Boulevard Kansas City, MO 64132
Samuel Dowdy (417) 695-2100

Federal LIHTC Requested: $249,593
Rehabilitation Family
The document also shows that this developer was/is planning a 124 unit development at 1900 East 15th Terrace. That would be called "Parade Park Homes". Not sure if that's new information or not.

Link: http://www.mhdc.com/nofa/FY2018_Applica ... 190724.pdf

Thanks Chris, those are really affordable apartments. It’s nice to see the remaining buildings be redeveloped into affordable apartments. That combined with some higher end new units should make the area really income diverse. I’m excited to see the density sky rocket along this corridor
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

It looks like they are also redeveloping a lot of the collonnades along Paseo.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Something may happen soon on vacant lot on 29th just east of Paseo, abutting Troost Lake. Property looks like part of park, but only because Parks and Rec keep it mowed when they mow park. Someone bought it at auction. Historically there were 4 or 5 multifamily buildings there. Would be good spot for market rate with lake views and access to freeway and renewed Troost.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... =e_ae_prem
Plans to renovate a 129-year-old former hotel to an affordable multifamily development in the historic Hyde Park neighborhood could clear the Kansas City Council this week.

Members are scheduled to vote Thursday on rezoning, development and tax incentive plans with a finding of blight for 25 affordable-rate apartments within the historic Oglesby Hotel at 3930 Troost Ave., between 39th and 40th streets.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Last Monday, I got the chance to take a walk down Troost. It mostly focused on the area with all the new buildings. It's quite nice to see and based on how things are going several blocks South of where I walked, with all the buildings being renovated, I see Troost's transformation continue throughout this decade into something so much better.

Another thing to note about the newer area, I really like the landscaping in the streets. I could see this area being the place where I'll end up living when I move to Kansas City in a few years, but I'm split on a few areas overall. Anyways, here are some pictures of a few projects...

Block undergoing transformation. Definitely some good bones here...

La Quinta Hotel...

2401 Troost...

2501 Beacon Hill...

Some new houses being built behind 2501...

Marcato by Milhaus...

Some street scenes. The street wall on the Eastside of the street is pretty good to me...

Skyline view...
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Really nice, drove that way the other day. Felt like I was in Denver.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

It really is an amazing transformation
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There is new construction fencing up around the Firestone Building (31st and Troost) as well as the building just to the east. It looked like the Firestone Building was being worked on, and I think the newer and smaller building to the east may be getting demolished.

As far as I know, the property still hasn't changed hands or had any plans announced.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That building to the east was built as a grocery store.

I hope they can come up with a restaurant concept like Parlor in the Crossroads that uses the covered open area as outdoor summer dining space. The other option might be to enclose it in huge glass windows for year-round space.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:26 pm There is new construction fencing up around the Firestone Building (31st and Troost) as well as the building just to the east. It looked like the Firestone Building was being worked on, and I think the newer and smaller building to the east may be getting demolished.

As far as I know, the property still hasn't changed hands or had any plans announced.
The firestone and harkness buildings, as well as the old police station (east of the firestone) officially sold a few weeks ago. New owner is the same as the buildings to the north of the block.