Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Troost developments

Post by elextendo »

I'm sorry guys, which building on troost for a coffee house?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

SE corner of 37th & Troost. White building. Used to be a carriage house for the mansion that sat where De La Salle School is now.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Reminds me of a Mr. Zs like on 39th st., only a couple blocks from my house.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I think that's his cousin, Mr. Y.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Yep. Both Mr. Z's and Mr. Y's are both early 20th C. auto service/fuel buildings. Back then they built them to fit in (aside: this isn't done anymore, why?). Mr. Y's needs a ton of work. The recent snow collapsed the roof of a shoddy addition on the back of the building. I think the whole place has been stripped of copper. When JE Dunn tore down the building just to the south (visible in the Google SV link) as part of the DLS addition, they also tore down the security fence... and left open the doors on Mr. Y's... and then left it like that for five weeks. The city finally boarded it up.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Coffee break on troost around 52nd by Mikes, UMKC also that era..didn't last to long and that was next to Rockhurst also
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It looks like this building is coming down today. Drove by this morning and the remaining windows had been removed and there was a backhoe parked next to it. I haven't seen a recent site plan for DLS's expansion, but I have a feeling we're getting another parking lot on Troost. Here's a site plan from DLS's website:

The garage location is at the far left corner. The design of the addition is very nice. The rendering doesn't do it justice. It's tilt-up concrete panels with a form liner that gives is a similar look to the site walls at the Nelson (only running vertically, not horizontally). I'm very happy that they are putting an entry on Troost and not just extending the back of the building west. That said, it's disappointing that the parking lot grew by about 50%. The fact that they would even entertain the garage remaining on the corner indicates to me that they don't need all that asphalt. Extending that walking path around onto the Troost side would have also been nice.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

chrizow wrote:
chaglang wrote:Dollar General variances denied. Developer may appeal to Circuit Court.
how do you know they might appeal? the lawyer said yesterday at the hearing that the next step is to "find another site."

i was there and spoke on behalf of the neighborhood along with some other folks. it was a pretty interesting, and long, hearing.
Guess who's back?

BZA docket for 4/23/2013, Council chambers, 26th Floor, 12:30pm:
Case No. 14247-A-2 – 4235 Troost A business lot located on
the east side of Troost Avenue between E. 42nd Street and E.
43rd Street, to consider a request for a variance to the
minimum required rear yard setback of a principal building in
a business district, a variance to the minimum number of
long-term bicycle parking spaces required to serve a
proposed use, a variance to the minimum number of shortterm
bicycle parking spaces required to serve a proposed
use, a variance to the minimum required amount of interior
landscaping for a vehicular use area, a variance to the
minimum required width of perimeter landscaping of a
vehicular use area, and a variance to the maximum amount
of parking spaces allowed to be provided for a use located
within 1,000 feet of a Rapid Transit Stop, to allow for the
construction of a new retail store, plus any other necessary
variances.
(Oh, is that all?)
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There are 7 commercial properties around the corner of 31st and Troost that are all owned by the same couple (Benny and Mina Herron) that have been on the market for two years or more at ridiculously high prices ($300K to $1.25M).

I figured the owners weren't really serious about selling at these prices. However, all of these properties moved to "Show for Backups" just a few days ago.

I haven't heard anything about what could be happening. I'll be curious to see what, if anything comes of this.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

What is 'Show for Backups?'
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

"Show for Backups" means that there is a contract on the property, but they are still taking backup offers.

This is generally done during the inspection period for houses. In this case it could be due to some contingency on financing.

When these issues are resolved, the status changes to "Pending"
zachbot
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by zachbot »

Family Dollar is now trying to put a store in at 4601 Troost. They are going in front of the BZA June 11 @ 12:30 (City Hall 26 floor). They are seeking variances to the maximum parking requirement at BRT stops, minimum required square feet of interior landscaping in parking lots, minimum required landscape buffer strip adjacent to residential zoning districts, and a variance to allow an access drive within the required landscaping buffer string, "plus any other necessary variance."

This is on the west side of the street, putting it in Hyde Park neighborhood.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

4601 is east side of Troost.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

zachbot wrote:Family Dollar is now trying to put a store in at 4601 Troost. They are going in front of the BZA June 11 @ 12:30 (City Hall 26 floor). They are seeking variances to the maximum parking requirement at BRT stops, minimum required square feet of interior landscaping in parking lots, minimum required landscape buffer strip adjacent to residential zoning districts, and a variance to allow an access drive within the required landscaping buffer string, "plus any other necessary variance."

A Dollar General at 43rd & Troost was just rammed through the BZA a few weeks ago. Does any street need a Dollar General, Walgreens, CVS, and two Family Dollars within 14 blocks? I'd say no. But since Manheim Park was fine with the Dollar General going in, I wonder if they'll roll over for Family Dollar too.

They'll never put one on the west side of Troost because Hyde Park would call in air strikes.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Sometimes you can't be too picky about what retail is attracted to your neighborhood. If Family Dollar is already present and a second store is sought then the first must be a success.
Better to be adding instead of losing retail.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

And sometimes it's not a good idea to concentrate low-end retail in one place, because it puts a drag on future development. It's not as if they're bringing a service that the neighborhood doesn't already have. And they're not bringing jobs that pay above minimum wage. They are, however, going to sell beer and wine, and are seeking a host of zoning variances. I'd rather hold the land empty than have something like this come in.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

this is a good story for the northland.

I'd rather see an empty lot/building than put the wrong thing in that can't be pushed out easily. see Antioch Mall for an example. the redevelopment project isn't wonderful but it could be a lot worse. when it's done, it looks like there will be less parking and a nicer center than what was there before. I'll take it.

should have the same goal on Troost. i.e. the city should make Family Dollar build a building that fits into the neighborhood at a minimum.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

They did make the Dollar General come back with a design that brought the building out to the street wall and used brick veneer instead of exposed fastener metal siding. It's not a horrible bad design, though I'm not thrilled with the tenant.

My problem with the Family Dollar is that no matter how nice they make it, it's going to concentrate low end retail in that location for the next 30+ years. I'm guessing that the FD lawyer's argument will be that DG was already allowed in there, so they should be too. It's a quasi-fairness approach that ignores the fact that we already have enough of these types of retailers. There's also a new dollar store of some sort at 59th and Troost.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

chaglang wrote:
zachbot wrote:Family Dollar is now trying to put a store in at 4601 Troost. They are going in front of the BZA June 11 @ 12:30 (City Hall 26 floor). They are seeking variances to the maximum parking requirement at BRT stops, minimum required square feet of interior landscaping in parking lots, minimum required landscape buffer strip adjacent to residential zoning districts, and a variance to allow an access drive within the required landscaping buffer string, "plus any other necessary variance."

A Dollar General at 43rd & Troost was just rammed through the BZA a few weeks ago. Does any street need a Dollar General, Walgreens, CVS, and two Family Dollars within 14 blocks? I'd say no. But since Manheim Park was fine with the Dollar General going in, I wonder if they'll roll over for Family Dollar too.

They'll never put one on the west side of Troost because Hyde Park would call in air strikes.
Isn't there already a Family Dollar on Broadway (next to Chubby's)?