Brookside

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Brookside

Post by KCMax »

Don't know if we have a Brookside thread, and if we do, the search function doesn't work well. Anyway, Brookside is getting a Panera Bread.

Panera Bread to open restaurant in Brookside
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Brookside

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Crown Center, Westport, Plaza and now brookside

There is now one panera every 1.25 miles in this stretch
xorg
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by xorg »

Bside is not big on chains. Wonder how well it would do.

BTW, I've been doing Bella Napoli in Bside lately. Imported meats like prosciutto, genoa salami, capicola, etc. and with hard breads. Not enough of these places in KC. Pandolfi's has Boarshead meats and Carrollo's is OK but most other places are very watered down versions like d'Bronx and Cupini's.

Bella dinner is also not bad for a neighborhood Italian place.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

I was thinking a bakery would be good in this location. Would be nice to see a local bakery vs. Panera.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Crown Center, Westport, Plaza and now brookside

There is now one panera every 1.25 miles in this stretch
Yeah, I like Panera and all, but I can easily grab this on the Plaza or down on St. Line.
elonalum
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by elonalum »

i was also surprised to see such a chain going in. parking will be a giant cluster.... anyhow, i see it doing well nonetheless. wish i had invested some $$ in it!
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

More south plaza than brookside, but...

Big surface lot between 50th and 49th St. on Walnut.

In the past week, the lot was torn up, concrete removed and trucked off. Lot has been graded and now has a bunch of stakes placed throughout.

Anybody know what's going on? Redevelopment or another surface lot?
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

This parcel is owned by the Board of Trade. Permits have been pulled for construction of a new parking lot. http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... 4&jur=KCMO

This includes a fire sprinkler permit and notes concerning a 2 story structure and 30,000 sf of space. I am unsure whether this is new construction, renovation, or a parking structure. My assumption based on the permits is that it is a surface parking lot for the board of trade, and that there will be a substantial new retaining wall with a stair enclosure.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Ugh. Seems like that area has a lot of potential and some momentum. A surface parking lot doesn't really help.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

you're no one these days unless you have a really substation retaining wall!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Michael Forbes Bar and Grille opens in Brookside
Longtime Kansas City restaurateur Forbes Cross was a founder and partner in Michael Forbes Grill, a Waldo mainstay from 1985 to 1999. Now, he has resurrected the restaurant at 128 W. 63rd St., a space formerly occupied by Sharp’s 63rd Street Grill.

About 20 percent of the menu at the new Brookside restaurant is old Michael Forbes favorites: pot roast soup, Greek salad, catfish, onion strings and the K.C. Auctioneer sandwich (with beef, ham, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, barbecue sauce and ranch dressing on grilled Texas toast). But the menu also has lighter fare, such as seared ahi tuna salad and fresh fish of the day. Entrees include steak Benedict, smoked baby back ribs and chicken enchiladas. Cross’ son, Matt Cross, is the executive chef.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

what's the story on Sharpe's? Didn't even know it was gone until I saw the new Michael Forbes signage.

Any news on Panera?

Any news on the old Jack Gage spot?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

KC-wildcat wrote: Any news on the old Jack Gage spot?
I asked a friend who works nearby about this about a month ago and here is what they said:
"Sports bar serving prepared food bought from sysco. They do not want to bring in a chef and just want a cook to heat up, fry and grill things. Does not sound like they are doing much different to the inside or out of the building beyond wanting to put outside seating in the alley to the south of the building. I hope I am wrong about all this but I do not think so."

Sounds promising and certainly what the area needs.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

taxi wrote:
I asked a friend who works nearby about this about a month ago and here is what they said:
"Sports bar serving prepared food bought from sysco. They do not want to bring in a chef and just want a cook to heat up, fry and grill things. Does not sound like they are doing much different to the inside or out of the building beyond wanting to put outside seating in the alley to the south of the building. I hope I am wrong about all this but I do not think so."

And they're going to call it "Wannabee's"?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

taxi wrote:

Sounds half a step above Applebee's...and only because of the possibility of outside seating in the alley.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

I don't have a problem with it. If the place is going for the "bar" angle instead of the "restuarant" angle, sysco food is just fine.

Am I going to eat there very often? No. But, the same is true for a lot of places - Hoopers, Brooksider, 810Zone, Granfaloon, Fooleries, the Peanut (aside from their wings).

It's a cool spot amidst a growing college demographic. If they're going to hitch their wagon to the "college bar" crowd, more power to em. If I want food prepared by a chef, I'll got Il Centro, Eggetc. Accurso's, Spin, or any of the other 100 places in Brookside/Plaza.

If they serve cold beer, warm wine, and intersting cocktails, I'll go there after dinner.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't care whether they have a "chef", but I would really like to see at least some effort put into fresh food. Oh well.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

pash wrote:That building is much too big for a place that just wants to be a bar.
Not really. I'd wager it has less footage than Granfaloon, Fooleries, or 810 Zone. Probably about the same size as Hoopers and Brooksider.

The upstairs part of Jack Gage is pretty limited.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »