Brookside

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Brookside

Post by shinatoo »

What Brookside needs most of all is parking enforcement.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Pearl Clutchers: Most of the residents of the Big Blue Whale at Meyer & Wornall(It's OK, I know a few of those elderly women who would agree).
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

mgh7676 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:20 pm Couple BKS tidbits:
- Brookside Barkery is moving to the location on Oak & 63rd once occupied by Plate
- Have been told that Fiddly Fig is moving/closing (not sure which) and a restaurant will be occupying their spot on 63rd street
Another place I thought was the Russell. They need to expand because it's so popular at lunch now (lines are to the door and people are parking in gates overflow lots now) and I guarantee the catering needs to expand. This is the perfect spot for the Russell. You also cover the entire urban core quickly from a catering standpoint with these 2 locations.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Brookside Poultry is relocating. Not sure where...maybe Fiddly Fig?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

kucer wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:20 am Brookside Poultry is relocating. Not sure where...maybe Fiddly Fig?
Looks like they are relocating to 751 E 63rd (the most recent Butch Rigby renovation), and adding Beef to their name. Good to see some momentum continuing eastward:

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... =locations
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

East Brookside Poultry and Bovine.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Block marketing the former Childrens Place building at 59th and BKS, next to the trail, as retail/restaurant space. Would love to see this renovated as maybe a european style food hall/market/bar with outdoor seating, with big open doors that face the trail, etc. Could be open early to late as an all-day concept.

https://www.blockandco.com/kc/listings/display=1685#
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

that's a great idea, and usage for that space
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Panera in Brookside had sign today saying they are closed for good.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:01 pm Panera in Brookside had sign today saying they are closed for good.
Over in St. Louis, Paneras/Bread Cos have been closing if they don't have a drive thru. That might be the case over in KC too. Ones in high pedestrian traffic areas like the Central West End, had theirs closed because of no drive thru. It's stupid but it's what they want.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:03 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:01 pm Panera in Brookside had sign today saying they are closed for good.
Over in St. Louis, Paneras/Bread Cos have been closing if they don't have a drive thru. That might be the case over in KC too. Ones in high pedestrian traffic areas like the Central West End, had theirs closed because of no drive thru. It's stupid but it's what they want.
Food has taken a huge hit in the last few years too. Used to be fresh daily and you could tell. Their cash cow is turning into a dog.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

So they're going to relocate to Broadway, next to the Jimmy John's? I joke...
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

I've been told that this is why most of their mall, downtown, and college campus locations closed during the Covid shutdown or shortly after.
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:05 pm [
quote="Chris Stritzel" post_id=643660 time=1657919006 user_id=163832]
Food has taken a huge hit in the last few years too. Used to be fresh daily and you could tell. Their cash cow is turning into a dog.
[/quote]
I agree. It's not worth the high price anymore!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

anyone know what might be going into the Panera space? i saw a rumor somewhere, maybe nextdoor, that Five Guys might be going in there....I hope not..
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

chrizow wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:35 pm anyone know what might be going into the Panera space? i saw a rumor somewhere, maybe nextdoor, that Five Guys might be going in there....I hope not..
Would you prefer a Texas Toms? What other options are there? It will most likely be occupied by a well established franchise, a Raisin Canes would be a moneymaker in that spot.

Five Guys is kind of underrated, there is no other burger place where you can get all of the burger toppings/add ons for free, u can even get every toppings available for the shakes, I never liked five guys until recently, its really one of the better fast casual burgers
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:54 pm
chrizow wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:35 pm anyone know what might be going into the Panera space? i saw a rumor somewhere, maybe nextdoor, that Five Guys might be going in there....I hope not..
Would you prefer a Texas Toms?
ha! i hope we have better choices than five guys vs. texas toms. i guess it's likely to house a franchise but I still hold out hope for a local restaurant, which would be much appreciated in BKS. even a local "chain" like hawaiian bros or something would be better.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I can't see most of those without a drive-through. I know BBQ is overdone but there are none in Brookside. Would love a bodega-type place. Or indian.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

in other BKS restaurant news - Earl's Premier is a VERY welcome addition to the neighborhood. i think BKS could do well with a few more interesting, local spots like this--including in the panera space, or other open spaces (fiddly fig, etc)

https://earlspremier.com/

they have done a great job with the old Chai Shai (RIP) space. totally different inside. food is good-to-great, the frozen G&T slushies are amazing. love they have Maine Beer Co. and Anchor Steam on tap as well. it feels very "lived-in" like it has been there 40 years. they are packed seemingly every day - i hope they can maintain and keep this thing going. can't wait to go in the winter as well.
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

Post by CrossroadsUrbanApts »

By far my favorite new place to eat. I love the space but I wish it was somehow bigger because impossible to get a reservation! Fortunately, have been able to walk in a few times. Absolutely seems clear to me that Brookside is hungry for new well-executed restaurants. I've only been here a few years but always wondered why there were so few good restaurants.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Shuckboi Island: Earl’s Premier is deservedly at capacity

https://www.thepitchkc.com/shuckboi-isl ... -capacity/