NE Side

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: NE Side

Post by grovester »

Mean, get on it, you could headline. 8)
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

ContainsHotLiquid wrote: By contrast, one of the great (if perpetually frustrated) ideals of America is that our sense of nationhood can be derived from many disparate communities. In my opinion, this ideal is something to which the nation can continually aspire; certainly many immigrants believe in it enough to come here and work to achieve it.

This is why I am personally so repelled when people insist that the immigrant communities in America need to conform to some other perception of America, as if somehow this other America were more real and true than the America to which the immigrants contribute. I must argue that what immigrants bring to America becomes American simply by virtue of their being here.
I grew up with the belief that America is a melting pot.  Sometimes that new ingredient took awhile to blend in with the rest of the pot but eventually all blended together.  I took that to mean we look at more what we all had in common and don't look at or bother with our differences.  Now, as a society, we seem to emphasize our differences and don't bother to look at what we have in common.  And this is also includes our political behavior.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Northeast Chamber of Commerce is trying to emphasize the international nature of the neighborhood--especially those businesses along Independence Avenue.  The chamber is working on developing a plan to promote and expand the international marketplace concept along Indy Avenue.

http://nekcchamber.com/wordpress/progra ... -bus-tour/

http://northeastnews.net/pages/?p=2711

I think the focus is on the area around Indy at Prospect and also at Benton, since that seems to be the strip with most adjacent store buildings.  One of the problems with Indy Avenue is that the businesses aren't connected to each other for long stretches.  There is little consistency in most of the blocks.  It's not very walkable, and one needs to drive from one business to another.  However, there are a lot of small businesses, since there isn't any big-box retail for miles in any direction.  There are very few strip commercial centers either with parking lots.

I think there is a lot of untapped retail potential along the Avenue though. It is very underserved in a lot of ways. There is no movie theater for miles. I think the closest to me is the AMC Mainstreet at just over 5 miles, the Pharoah in Independence at 7.5 miles, and the Regal at Ameristar at 7.5 miles.  

There are no Burger King or Wendy's on the Avenue in the NE. The closest is 8 miles away on Armour Road in N. Kansas City.  Same with Arby's.

The closest Starbucks is in downtown Kansas City. If you want a cappacino in the Old NE, you have to go to a gas station or QuikTrip over at I-435.

There are no Church's or Popeyes on the Avenue, only one KFC. No Captain D's or Long John Silver's.  There are no barbeque restaurants either.  The closest is Gates at 12th and Brooklyn.

And there are certainly no Chili's, Chipotle or Applebees. There isn't even a Denny's, IHOP or Perkins.

There isn't a good pizza restaurant, noodle place, or steakhouse. I think there is one Chinese restaurant on the Avenue.

There also is a real need for a sit-down diner.

So I think the City shoudl set up some redevelopment zones along the Avenue to clear lots for more restaurants.

I think a Lowe's or Home Depot would do well in the Old Northeast as well, since there are a lot of people remodeling houses. The Westlake Ace Hardware store just doesn't have the variety, and the garden center is limited.  I think Target would do well in this area too.

There isn't even a Commerce Bank in the Old NE. However, there is a UMB. 
Last edited by FangKC on Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no fifth destination.
KCAppraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCAppraiser »

There is a new noodle place across from the medical school.  I have always been curious about the Dairy Queen.  I have lived here for six and a half years and have never seen it open but it looks like there is stuff inside.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

I don't know that chains are a way to signal success.
Why not preserve the unique nature of the area?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Well, there's nothing wrong with preserving the uniqueness of the area, but the problem is that the NE is underserved in many aspects of retail, and private operators aren't opening retail to serve the need.

At least chains have the capital to build new restaurants and stores.  And with many chain restaurants, they are franchises owned and operated by local people.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCAppraiser wrote: There is a new noodle place across from the medical school.  I have always been curious about the Dairy Queen.  I have lived here for six and a half years and have never seen it open but it looks like there is stuff inside.

The Dairy Queen between Prospect and Chestnut, has been operated by the same couple (husband recently deceased) since the late '50's or early '60's.  That's a lot of soft serve.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

FangKC wrote: There are no Burger King or Wendy's on the Avenue in the NE. The closest is 8 miles away on Armour Road in N. Kansas City.  Same with Arby's.
There is a Wendy's at Truman and Cleveland, and a Burger King ~5 miles away downtown. I think you're right about Arby's, but I'd rather have Hum Dinger or Texas Tom's anyway.
FangKC wrote:The closest Starbucks is in downtown Kansas City. If you want a cappacino in the Old NE, you have to go to a gas station or QuikTrip over at I-435.
True, although I'm not sure many of my neighbors really care about cappuccino. Heh. I don't.
FangKC wrote:There are no Church's or Popeyes on the Avenue, only one KFC. No Captain D's or Long John Silver's.  There are no barbeque restaurants either.  The closest is Gates at 12th and Brooklyn.
There's a Church's at 12th and Prospect, although it kinda sucks. There used to be a Knight's Barbecue where there is now a carneceria / taqueria--in the red building at the Ave and Winner. I remember there being fast food seafood places in the past, but they've all been repurposed. I believe Sabor Centro Americano was one.

I don't get why we'd want a bunch of shitty fast food lining the Avenue, honestly. They require drive-thrus, which screws any kind of walkability / urban continuity. I'd rather get rid of that kind of crap.
FangKC wrote:And there are certainly no Chili's, Chipotle or Applebees. There isn't even a Denny's, IHOP or Perkins.
I don't know about you, but this makes me happy. :P
FangKC wrote:There isn't a good pizza restaurant, noodle place, or steakhouse. I think there is one Chinese restaurant on the Avenue.
Steam Bowl is alright, and there's a Peking Garden in the strip mall next to Price Chopper. I'm not sure what you mean by "noodle place"... I'd count the Vietnamese places on the Ave, personally. A nice, sit-down, Fun House type pizza place would be good. I think a steakhouse is a bit highbrow for the neighborhood. Most neighborhood residents wouldn't be able to afford it, and I'm not convinced that there's a large market of people willing to come to NE for a fancy steak dinner.
FangKC wrote:There also is a real need for a sit-down diner.
I would be all over a Town Topic. That would be just about perfect. Too bad the Indy Ave Chubby's burned down.
FangKC wrote:I think a Lowe's or Home Depot would do well in the Old Northeast as well, since there are a lot of people remodeling houses. The Westlake Ace Hardware store just doesn't have the variety, and the garden center is limited.  I think Target would do well in this area too.
Target? Maybe, but I'm pretty sure the demographics skew more toward Wal-Mart.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

mean wrote: I would be all over a Town Topic. That would be just about perfect.
North Chestnut and Nicholson Avenue, near Knuckleheads, there is a former Town Topic facility.  One look, and you'll recognize it.

Is that still operating as an independent diner?  Any reviews?  
Last edited by loftguy on Tue May 24, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

Historically, immigrants, when moving to the US, have congregated where others from their countries of origin live.  One example is the Croatians who lived on Strawberry Hill in KCK. 

And 19th century NYC was filled with ethnic enclaves.  Both San Francisco and Oakland still have Chinatowns.  And so on.

If the kids go to public schools, they will be exposed to things outside their culture and will slowly integrate.  Some times it takes a generation or two. 

It's not an easy transition.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

loftguy wrote: North Chestnut and Nicholson Avenue, near Knuckleheads, there is a former Town Topic facility.  One look, and you'll recognize it.

Is that still operating as an independant diner?  Any reviews? 
Funny you would ask, cuz I ate there yesterday for the 1st time. It's called the Finish Line and, expectedly, they have lots of lame and cheap Nascar decorations. And newspaper on the top third of the windows. I had the Eye-talion sausage special, which was good. The waitress was hot and spunky and said "fuck" alot. I fell in love.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

taxi wrote: Funny you would ask, cuz I ate there yesterday for the 1st time. It's called the Finish Line and, expectedly, they have lots of lame and cheap Nascar decorations. And newspaper on the top third of the windows. I had the Eye-talion sausage special, which was good. The waitress was hot and spunky and said "fuck" alot. I fell in love.
Well Mean, since you're looking for a Chubby, this might be the place.
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

Pho Hoa review in Pitch. I hope it does well here. I love that its on the Avenue. Lotta traffic there, pedestrian and otherwise...
http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2011/06/ ... ese_re.php
redperro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by redperro »

yea keep it mostly indepedant

hey, i love some chains, and if they are locally owned its all good...HOWEVER, id rather eat less corparate food....and if people want that, even the people in the neighborhood, they just drive out to north kc or indy.....

elviras is dope and open late

for hot food, taco express is ok, and its open til like 1 most nitez

idk, i havent rolled down tha ave in awhile

last time i went to blvd bkry,,,,which i think is run by some kck ppl, not sure

but it is..DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPEEEE
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/2011/06/ram ... orhood.php

dude goes "gran torino" to protect his Old NE neighborhood from a roving gang of misfits.

"Dude, I've got guns everywhere. I'm a very well-armed individual," he says. "I love my little place. I love my neighbors. I've got the best goddamned neighborhood in Kansas City, in my opinion. And I'll be goddamned if a little bunch of fucks -- I know they've been taught that 'if there's a bunch of us, people won't fight back. ... Just take what you want and run.' Until they fuck up, and I start shooting them in the fucking head."
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

http://www.fox4kc.com/videobeta/?watchI ... 0283100157

check the video.  this guy is my new hero.  dude is wearing a lavender skirt and brandished a soviet rifle against the mob.  dig the "don't tread on me" flag next to the brazilian flag, and the cannon in the yard too.  

this guy needs a medal.  he is like a mix between Stretch and Travis Bickle.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Wow. Hope I don't see them.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

We are armed to the teeth here in the NE. Don't screw with us. :D

This guy is a pansy compared to this woman.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-her.html
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Northeast News article on new Northeast Farmer's Market

Refugees sell wares grown in community garden at new weekly farmer's market at Independence and Garfield.

http://northeastnews.net/pages/?p=6465