Touring KC's urban core on the MAX and 51 bus lines

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Touring KC's urban core on the MAX and 51 bus lines

Post by ignatius »

I put this together for another site.  Thought it would be good here too...

For those visiting or metro suburban people accustomed to city buses who would like to do a weekend tour of the city on a city bus, there are two great lines to do this - the MAX (orange line) and the 51 bus.

Fares are $1.50 with a 2 hour transfer or $3 for a day pass. Best to have exact change/bills.  Insert/drop the fare in fare box next to the driver and s/he will push a button to pop out a transfer ticket - take it for next ride.   Swipe the ticket on fare box next time you get on the bus.  Always exit bus from back door.

For those who have not ridden a bus, you need to pull the yellow cord line along the bus windows a block or so before the stop you want to get off of.  As should be expected in any city, you'll likely be tagging along with street people on the bus. If unadventurous and/or that's not for you, don't bother reading further or spoil the thread by posting all about it.  It is what it is.  Think of it as an anthropological experience.

There are two MAX lines - you want to take the Orange line down Main, not the Green line.

This line will take you to many of the major highlights including City Market, Downtown Loop/Power and Light, Xroads, Union Station, Crown Center, Art Museum District (Nelson and Kemper to the E of stop), Plaza - and there is an extend line that also goes to Plaza Library, UMKC, Brookside and Waldo (inner ring burbs).  

Orange Line Map
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1238514/pics/bus/maxmwk.gif

The 51 bus will get you through some cool urban/semi-urban hoods, mansions and a small mall further S KC.  This goes from downtown (10th/Main) to W Side, Broadway,  Uptown Theatre, Westport, W Plaza hoods, Ward Parkway mansions and Ward Parkway Mall (with a Trader Joes coming this summer).  This line goes 90 blocks so can take a while if doing entire line.

51 Map
http://www.kcata.org/documents/routes/maps/51mwk.gif

I'd suggest metro residents start with the MAX line either in City Market on N side or Plaza or Waldo stops on the S side. For those new to the city, you might want to just ride the entire line and back your first outing to get a feel for the city.  Then explore stops on another outing.

Other metro bus maps/schedules can be found here..
http://www.kcata.org/maps_schedules/

PS:  light rail is for wusses
Last edited by ignatius on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Touring KC's urban core on the MAX and 51 bus lines

Post by kucer »

Nice.

I miss taking the 51 or 51x from W. Plaza to work DT.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Sounds like the 51 would be great for the next Max line.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Yeah, seems 51 is natural for next line and then maybe State Line or SW Tfway.

I'd encourage adventurous suburbanites to give the Orange line a try for a Saturday excursion in the city.  I had a friend over from OP and we did it one day... she enjoyed seeing the city on foot integrated with the bus.  Much better way to see the city.

Start out in City Market, check out action in the morning and perhaps have bfast there or head to P&L and/or CC for lunch. Maybe see a movie.   Then head to Plaza.  Maybe checkout Union Station or Liberty Memorial on way back.

Or you could start in Waldo or Plaza.  Waldo has a free park and ride and so does City Market (3rd/Grand lot across from Chinatown Market).

It can be a pretty fun adventure to tour your own city.  Unadventurous people who just want to get from point A to B probably wouldn't get it.  Those who appreciate the journey as much as the destination will dig it.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

ignatius wrote: Much better way to see the city.

Start out in City Market, check out action in the morning and perhaps have bfast there or head to P&L and/or CC for lunch. Maybe see a movie.   Then head to Plaza.  Maybe checkout Union Station or Liberty Memorial on way back.

It can be a pretty fun adventure to tour your own city.  Unadventurous people who just want to get from point A to B probably wouldn't get it.  Those who appreciate the journey as much as the destination will dig it.
Don't forget about the crossroads!  You can visit many of the galleries any weekday without having to push through FF crowds.

I do city walking explorations every time I come home (Roanoke/Valentine).  I can walk to most dt and plaza places without the bus...but if im there at Christmas, it's usually too cold for that.

Great way to see most cities.  You can absorb many more details and get a real feel for each neighborhood when not just driving through it. 

Some places (like most of Main St from Gates to 39th in midtown & roadway between the uptown and 39th.) are pretty terrible experiences.  Those places seemed almost scary as pedestrian.  Those areas have some great buildings, but many are in bad shape or abandoned.  Cars are too close, driving fast.  Few trees, etc.  driving by in a car, the same places don't seem so bad.  If those two streets were improved, you could walk from the Plaza to downtown much more comfortably.  Anyway, off topic...sorry.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

kucer wrote: Nice.

I miss taking the 51 or 51x from W. Plaza to work DT.
Same. 
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Told a friend yesterday about this little bus guide I posted and she hooked me up with a friend of hers who just moved to KC (on Plaza) from San Diego to try it out.  I was up for it. We did it this morning/afternoon and they really enjoyed it.

Started in Plaza and took MAX down to City Market - the energy was great down there this morning. We grabbed a bite, hung around and checked out all the action. Then took MAX up to P&L, thinking we might check out some of the FilmFest going on at AMC on Main. We got off near P&L and first went to Consentino's market. They decided it was too nice to do filmfest and wanted to do more of city, so we hopped on the 51 and saw the W side of city via Westport heading back to Plaza. I asked if they wanted to go down Ward Parkway and see the mansions/tudors and stop at WP Mall and they were up for it so we did that so that she could get feel for city. They really enjoyed it. The bus we were on had a 30 min layover at WP mall so we went into Target, grabbed a few things and took the same bus back down to the Plaza. They had a great time and got to see a good part of the city. Worked out really well... give it a shot... tour your own city some weekend.  But be aware than Sunday buses don't run as often as Saturday... might be more wait time on Sundays.

Was just a small slice of what is available on 51 and MAX lines.  And I got another person or two hooked on transit.

Now on to dinner at friends in Hyde Park tonite..
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I've added activities along the Orange line.  Is the print too small... any other suggestions?

Edit:  Have done numerous updates.  Still taking suggestions.  Feel free to copy/paste the link and email to others or post on your blog/page.  Also use link to print it off...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1238514/pics/bus/maxmwk.gif

Last edited by ignatius on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gorlock
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Gorlock »

Print is just fine for me.  Didn't realize all the things you could visit on the orange line.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Yeah if you want to live in the urban core, living along the Orange Line has its benefits.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Yeah, I'd add one for playing pool with postal workers pre drinking at DAVES STAGECOACH INN. LOVE that spot.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Jukebox roulette (and I think the jukebox itself) is gone...ergo, Dave's is dead to me forever.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

chingon wrote: Jukebox roulette (and I think the jukebox itself) is gone...ergo, Dave's is dead to me forever.
:? :? :? :?

Damn.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Might do one for the 51/Broadway line to cover Westport/W Side but that bus map is a little more awkward to work with.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

You should add toy and miniature museum and loose park to this
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

This is great!  I take the Orange line a lot, and I often just want to jump off and hit a museum or grab a bite.  Thanks making it easy for people to access what they can do along these public transit lines.  And thanks for listing the restaurants and bars!
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

ignatius wrote: print it off and place copies on your bar ;)

That's a great idea too.  Do you have any plans to have a printed version of this available for merchants along the line? 

The Crossroads Community Association may also be interested in inserting it with the annual Crossroads map. 

What about the Convention and Visitors Association? 

Real estate brokers that work with condos and lofts downtown may also find this information valuable. 

Just food for thought. 
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Couldn't you get in trouble with this map if you gave it to associations, you have all these restaurants listed in crossroads but don't have lulu's, town topic, pizzabella, art of pizza or webster house and a couple others.  It's basically you own opinions on what you should see and what you should eat. 

Couple other things i noticed
- You mention the Madrid and Unicorn Theaters but didn't list the MET on 36th and Main
- You list Drexel Hall but do not list Loose Mansion.
- You list Gomers but don't list Bebigula on 43rd and Main
- You mention the Mixx but don't put Chiptole, or Yogurtini.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Yeah, the listings are personal opinions so it would be up to those who want to distribute it if they don't want or don't care if specific places are listed.  I'll declare it as an open source pic, so anyone can edit as they please and distribute their own versions.  Whatever it takes to get people to get out, use transit and experience the city on a pedestrian scale.

Added several of your suggestions, BTW.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

BTW, does the bike shop (Midwest Cycle)  at 39th/Main rent bikes?  If not they should.  Just need to hold a credit card and it will work.

Is the bike shop on 3rd E of Grand also still going?  I think Acme on 18th downtown closed.